Guernsey Tenders

mercury7289

The queues at Gurnsey can get quite long coming back, especially if there is any swell. In warm weather it's handy to have water and in the rain a brolly!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What is the tendering procedure?

Do you have to pre book a time, or get a ticket, or just queue?

Might depend on your ship. On Britannia when we tendered in Grand Cayman we had to go to the theatre. They were issuing blocks of coloured, numbered tickets at the entrance to the theatre, you took a ticket then waited for your number/colour to be called, then you proceeded to the tenders.

Guernsey is as Florry says a particulalry difficult port of call because of the swells and cross currents. There are times that we have been there that the tenders have stopped and concentrated on getting people back onboard.

A couple of times we have just "parked up" and no one got off at all as it was not safe to do so.

The advise re water, a brolly and if you are lucky with the day sunscreen for the que back is worth taking.

I hate tender ports with a passion but that's because I am not blessed with patience and all that queuing up just annoys me.

Thank you all for the advise.

Boarding Adonia on Friday, Guernsey on Saturday

Have a great trip, there is a first class chocolatier in Guernsey, worth buying a few to enjoy with a coffee!

The queues at Gurnsey can get quite long coming back, especially if there is any swell. In warm weather it's handy to have water and in the rain a brolly!

The longest transit time stuck in the tender I have experienced between St. Peter Port quayside and the ship is one hour. This was due to very large swells developing just prior to getting back to the ship. There is a public convenience in the marina building by the quayside. This journey time was exceptionally long but can happen.

Regards John

Might depend on your ship. On Britannia when we tendered in Grand Cayman we had to go to the theatre. They were issuing blocks of coloured, numbered tickets at the entrance to the theatre, you took a ticket then waited for your number/colour to be called, then you proceeded to the tenders.

We did Jersey tender last year on Ventura and had to go to restaurant to get ticket and then taken down in groups to the tender.

Dave

Thank-you very much. I will pay a visit in two weeks time.:D

Yes that's the one [emoji2]I have a little chocolate addiction. This shop has some strange concoctions but they taste great, really smooth and no gritty texture like you sometimes get. I was talking to Ben a few years ago and he told me that he had a great chocolate caramel at Gordon Ramsey's restaurant, I did some research and found them in Selfridges, then a bit more research and I found M&S sell them and they are the same brand. So one trip to Guernsey led to an addiction to M&S chocolate caramels [emoji2]

Yes that's the one [emoji2]I have a little chocolate addiction. This shop has some strange concoctions but they taste great, really smooth and no gritty texture like you sometimes get. I was talking to Ben a few years ago and he told me that he had a great chocolate caramel at Gordon Ramsey's restaurant, I did some research and found them in Selfridges, then a bit more research and I found M&S sell them and they are the same brand. So one trip to Guernsey led to an addiction to M&S chocolate caramels [emoji2]

Ben's shop is also quite a good place to pick up gifts to take home, it's not too expensive.

Have you tried the chocolates made by Dave Golubows at Cocoadance in the Peak District. They have some amazing and unique flavours and are lovely people to boot. They do a chocolate making/tasting course. I bought one for hubby, who is a chocolate fiend, as a present and you basically ate chocolate for 3 (?) hours, and got to make loads of chocolates and bring home what you'd made. :D

Tendering at St. Peter Port can be a problem. When we were there last even getting on the tender was a problem because of the height of the waves. I was next in line to get onto the tender and there was an officer on either side to practically lift you onto the boat. Then they decided it was becoming too dangerous and the tender was bobbing up and down - felt sorry for those already on board. They moved the tendering to the back of the ship where it was more sheltered and I got on. It was a very choppy journey to the pier. On the return journey they had decided it was too choppy for the tenders and the port put on a much larger vessel to get everyone back to the ship, which was much more comfortable and took many more people. So contrary to what I've read elsewhere P&O do everything to anchor and get passengers ashore if possible. It was a fairly sunny day, it was the high winds that were the problem.

Seems its down to luck,

Do I feel Lucky!

Well do I!

My glass is always full, no in betweens.

Thanks for your assistance

Hope you both have a great cruise mercury728954637876 (ha ha) obviously your table won't be as great as last time, but if it's half as good you'll still have fun!

I will send your Christmas card soon! [emoji3][emoji1303]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ehg

Hope everything is good.

Thank you for your kind wishes,

Have you got contact details for J and B/P, we missed them at departure,will be down overnight in the area in September,want to invite them to dinner. On my e-mail please.

The table will be different,but it is always what you make it.

We were very lucky last time around.

Looking forward to Lunch in Guernsey and Honfleur.

We were anchored off Guernsey on Oriana for a few hours last week as tendering was not possible. Hope you get in from Adonia. Had a lovely lunch in Honfleur a couple of years ago. Such a lovely little place.

Successfully tendering at Guernsey is around 50%.

Regards John

I don't know about any formal figures for the success rate but that would tie in with my own personal experience.

It's a shame for anyone who has not been there before if they miss out, in spite of the best efforts of the Captain / crew to try to tender.

I actually don't understand why so many cruises add this port of call as it is so hit and miss to get in and it's not that exciting a place to visit once you get there, nice but nothing special IMO. Presume something to do with tax?

Tender on Aurora last week was dreadful. Get your tender tickets as early as you can, then you can go when you want and not have to wait around for your number to be called. Everyone has to queue to get a ticket. Booked excursions are not always guaranteed to get early tenders. On our afternoon excursion last week in Norway, 2 people missed the coach, the coach waited around 15 minutes