Is Captain Kate on Summit in August

Sandi07054

She is absolutely the best!

Member,

The Captain Kate Fan Club:D:D:D

Totally agree!!!!!!!

We look forward to sailing with her again.

Why is she the best? (I'm genuinely curious, not trying to start a gender war)

I'm curious as well. She is great, truly memorable. However unless you have had the pleasure of sailing with all the others, how can one say she is the best?

Good, better, best.. is only applicable in a comparison.

We have sailed with some mediocre ones but the great ones are truly outstanding.

What I do remember is a Cruise Critic member stating at the onboard Connections gathering that "she is great because I can finally understand the captain."

I wonder the same thing. Just got off the Summit with her as Captain, and can't figure it out. Didn't dislike her, but can't figure out the hype. I seem to be in the minority.

We also just got off the Summit and she was fine, I also don't get the hype.

We did not like it at first when she would constantly mention/almost apologize/try to justify her having that position as a woman. Making jokes about which purse had the keys to the ship. I thought it lessened her stature.

You are the captain, dammit...period. No male captain has ever, ever told us how much they had to study, etc. to be captain. But after the first couple of days she stopped that.

She gives you a riddle every day, information about the port, and a saying from Confuscious (how DO you spell that?) but I think she took a lot of poetic license with that.

She was very pleasant when you saw her around the ship.

I liked that when we had a couple of days/nights of dense fog she didn't leave the bridge, didn't socialize during those times. To me safety is the most important part of leading the ship, and I was impressed with that.

And yes, no language barriers.

We cruised with Captain Kate once. Heard she was the most amazing ever. Certainly not our experience. She was fine. Ce to the cc meet and greet, talked to one couple...did her bit on stage and promptly left. Only saw hey at the Captains toast after that.

IMHO ... Captain Tasos was fabulous. Always wandering the ship, interacting with guests and staff. Funny for part of his daily announcement (after the serious stuff like longitude latitude and sea depth.

Hype for Captain Tasos..

But not for Captain Kate

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Forums mobile app

Captain Kate is a cruise director and a captain in one. I liked her. A. She is young, energetic and lovely with that smile. and B. She sailed us to the ports with grace. I never felt any motion (though the seas complied). Her updates from the bridge were good- a little corny- but I liked how she told us to "seize the day." All and all- she was a memorable Captain.

a>

Captain Kate is a cruise director and a captain in one. I liked her. A. She is young, energetic and lovely with that smile. and B. She sailed us to the ports with grace. I never felt any motion (though the seas complied)..

Let's judge captains by their smile:

Photobucket no longer allows me to post pictures without paying for the privilege:

Celebrity%20Masters%202017_zpsswjecvsu.png

Are you saying older male captains can't sail to ports with grace, or are they just too clumsy? (forget about Infinity last year. Mother nature was involved with that one.)

Do you really think that only a female captain can really control the motion of the ship as it enters port?

When we sailed with her she personally gave an exceptional bridge tour as opposed to many others who assign that duty to the junior officer.

She is very friendly and I am sure that she sells more pictures with passengers than any other captain.

In 2008 we sailed on the inaugural Solstice cruise in very rough weather. One passenger told us she had just returned from guest relations to complain that the captain was too young to find smooth seas on the way to San Juan.

So do we judge captains on their age, their smile, the smoothness of the seas, their grace, the ability to tell jokes, their willingness to mix with the passengers?

Celebrity%20Masters%202017_zpsswjecvsu.png

Edited by Arno.

I have been on 2 cruises so far with her and only seen her once when we were getting off at st Thomas and some fellow cruisers were taking her picture as if she was a Kardashian or rock star. Then again, we had interior cabins and it was our 1st and 2nd cruise with Celebrity so perhaps she is more visible to the Elite and above? I saw a lot of officers in the buffet area and the gym but never once saw her there as others have mentioned but then again, I don't really look for her.

I think some people are entranced by the fact that she is a woman and an American woman at that.

To me that has nothing to do with being a Captain.

My only cruise with her (last week) the seas were calm.

It's a little like choosing a doctor...would you rather have the great bedside manner and someone who misdiagnoses your ailment, or the grumpy doctor who cures you?

Yes, you can have both, and until I sail with her under rough seas, I will withhold my judgment.

It's nice to have someone who is personable, but I'd rather have someone who is competent. And yes, you can be both.

And maybe being a female captain is a novelty, but I've flown with many female pilots and I honestly could care less...just get me where I'm going safely.

She was our captain on Bermuda cruise late May 2016. Storms on the way back. Had to go further east to get around it. She did a great job, we were only an hour or so late getting back to NJ. Enjoyed her stories and jokes, seemed more human and approachable than most and very good at her job as well.

We cruised with Captain Kate once. Heard she was the most amazing ever. Certainly not our experience. She was fine. Ce to the cc meet and greet, talked to one couple...did her bit on stage and promptly left. Only saw hey at the Captains toast after that.

IMHO ... Captain Tasos was fabulous. Always wandering the ship, interacting with guests and staff. Funny for part of his daily announcement (after the serious stuff like longitude latitude and sea depth.

Hype for Captain Tasos..

But not for Captain Kate

I'm certainly not qualified to say which captain is the best. I've sailed with some I liked better than others. Captain Tasos was a riot. Had a great conversation with him at dinner. Loved his performance on the Liar's Club. Captain Leo is another that I've enjoyed.

Captain Kate is the only captain who conducted the bridge tour personally. She seems to have a knack for explaining complicated things in a way that anyone can understand. She seems to be everywhere on the ship. I ran into her in the hall and she stopped to chat with me for about ten minutes. Only other officer who has stopped to chat during a random encounter is Jamie Petts. And then there's the fact that you can understand what she says during her daily broadcast!

I think it's pretty much a personality contest. Some you will like better than others. I assume they're all qualified to drive the ship or they wouldn't have their jobs. And some are better at getting out and mixing with people than others.