Question re USB charging ports on Queen Victoria

SonofTertius

Is it bad form to mention that the square panels with holes by the desk are not actually plugs but sockets? Apologies, but 30+ years married to an electrical engineer has made me a tad touchy about such things! [emoji8][emoji8][emoji8]

No, you are correct, they are indeed sockets and not plugs !

I've just looked that up on Amazon. It's not going to fit I'm afraid. The desk plugs are located almost flush with the desk top - it's a very stupid place to put them.

I'm sure you're right about that charger with its UK plug fitted, but since there's no right way up for a US 2-pin plug it looks as if it would fit 'upside down'.

I'm sure you're right about that charger with its UK plug fitted, but since there's no right way up for a US 2-pin plug it looks as if it would fit 'upside down'.

That would work yes. The only issue is that the US 110 charges the equipment much slower than the UK 220. But it will work. Thanks for the info.

And to be even more helpful, this is about the best thing I've ever bought for modern travel. It's tiny!

Edit: having trouble uploading photographs but it's a tiny little USB socket with a US connector.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you! I know exactly what you are talking about. Have a few of these laying around the house. One gets them with EU plug as well.

Is it bad form to mention that the square panels with holes by the desk are not actually plugs but sockets? Apologies, but 30+ years married to an electrical engineer has made me a tad touchy about such things! [emoji8][emoji8][emoji8]

You must be a hoot when you've had a few glasses of wine in. [emoji12]

That would work yes. The only issue is that the US 110 charges the equipment much slower than the UK 220. But it will work. Thanks for the info.

If that's the route you want to go, then return the USB charger you bought and buy one of these, and make sure you use one of the 2.4A slots to charge your phone or tablet:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O0RJJD8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had not considered whether my iPhone and iPad charge faster in the UK or the US, but they will charge quickly enough using the above - it's what I bring with me to the UK.

Another option would be to simply buy a UK-to-US plug adapter and use the charger you would use at home plugged into the US plug, provided you've confirmed the device can handle the voltage change on its own.

If that's the route you want to go, then return the USB charger you bought and buy one of these, and make sure you use one of the 2.4A slots to charge your phone or tablet:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O0RJJD8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had not considered whether my iPhone and iPad charge faster in the UK or the US, but they will charge quickly enough using the above - it's what I bring with me to the UK.

Another option would be to simply buy a UK-to-US plug adapter and use the charger you would use at home plugged into the US plug, provided you've confirmed the device can handle the voltage change on its own.

[emoji1360]

You must be a hoot when you've had a few glasses of wine in. [emoji12]

Yes, my friends all hate me but I'm the first one they call when their kids' dissertations need proofing! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

• Like 1

The US may be sadly deficient in the mains voltage department but I believe their DC volts, amps etc are exactly the same as everyone else's. E.g. my UK and US iPhone chargers both produce a nominal 5W so will charge at the same rate at any mains voltage between 100 and 240 - they're not just a transformer with a simple circuit to convert AC to DC. If your charger pushes out less power at lower mains voltage you might want to buy something more modern.

[emoji6] I've now also bought this: <picture of 2 gang extension lead>

I wouldn't be surprised if Toad confirms that this may also fall foul of the low height of the sockets above the desk top. I haven't yet taken my first cruise on QE so I can't be sure, but on P&O's Arcadia, also a Vista Class ship with similarly stupidly placed power sockets, the UK socket is upside down to allow the kettle to be plugged in. I took a selection of US and Euro chargers on my last cruise so that I could make a cup of tea and charge multiple iThings at the same time.

I bought an adaptor on AMAZON that plugged into the single AC outlet produce 3 AC outlets and also had 2 USB ports for charging smartphones, camera batteries and also Fitbits...

The best investment I ever made for future and may even get another one..

I wouldn't be surprised if Toad confirms that this may also fall foul of the low height of the sockets above the desk top.

Well, I did wonder about that as it happens. It might depend on how flexible the flex is. It does seem when they placed the sockets, it never occurred to anyone that the plug has a wire sticking out the bottom of the plug so they therefore needed to allow space for that !

T

...Excuse my ignorance. My 1st time with Cunard.

I might have some other questions as well if you're happy to answer them later.

Thank you again.

Good morning from me, I've just caught up with this thread.

I note that I'm actually you in reverse, I'm going to be new to princess Cruises having just booked something for a change.

I'm a gadget man myself: cameras, laptops, ipads, IPhone; you name it I take it.

One thing I will say is that I have never on any Cunard ship experienced a problem charging any of the multitude of IT equipment I take with me.

I would hazard a guess that the amount of sockets per stateroom does vary with whatever grade of stateroom one is travelling in.

Good morning from me, I've just caught up with this thread.

I note that I'm actually you in reverse, I'm going to be new to princess Cruises having just booked something for a change.

I'm a gadget man myself: cameras, laptops, ipads, IPhone; you name it I take it.

One thing I will say is that I have never on any Cunard ship experienced a problem charging any of the multitude of IT equipment I take with me.

I would hazard a guess that the amount of sockets per stateroom does vary with whatever grade of stateroom one is travelling in.

Good morning Richard (me in reverse [emoji854]),

My gadgets are an extension of my brain - thank you for the information.

I am sadly only able to afford a stateroom with a window - not even a balcony on this occasion, so I guess I'm stuck with 1 lousy flush-with-the-desk socket.

Which Princess ship have you booked? Majestic Princess is very tech-aware and have at least 2 sockets per region. She also have 3 USB ports located around the cabin. I'm not sure about the other ships in the fleet though.

Enjoy your Princess cruise - I enjoyed it but their service needs attention, especially by the pool decks. The crew seem to be walking around with their sunglasses on, modelling instead of serving.

Are there seriously no other sockets (apart from the desk & shavers in bathroom) in the whole cabin?

When the TV was located in the corner over the refrigerator it was plugged into a US 120 volt outlet behind the TV. On QM2 that outlet remained after the TV was relocated to the wall across from the bed. Are people saying they removed that outlet on QV?

When the TV was located in the corner over the refrigerator it was plugged into a US 120 volt outlet behind the TV. On QM2 that outlet remained after the TV was relocated to the wall across from the bed. Are people saying they removed that outlet on QV?

I'm sure it was there last time I was in a Britannia cabin on QV (January 2016) but others with more recent experience should be able to confirm.

I'm sure it was there last time I was in a Britannia cabin on QV (January 2016) but others with more recent experience should be able to confirm.

Hattie, from what I remember the outlet is still there and it is available to plug the kettle in to.

Good morning Richard (me in reverse [emoji854]),

My gadgets are an extension of my brain - thank you for the information.

I am sadly only able to afford a stateroom with a window - not even a balcony on this occasion, so I guess I'm stuck with 1 lousy flush-with-the-desk socket.

Which Princess ship have you booked? Majestic Princess is very tech-aware and have at least 2 sockets per region. She also have 3 USB ports located around the cabin. I'm not sure about the other ships in the fleet though.

Enjoy your Princess cruise - I enjoyed it but their service needs attention, especially by the pool decks. The crew seem to be walking around with their sunglasses on, modelling instead of serving.

Star Princess.

And I'm mightily impressed by their Admin and cruise personaliser.

I do cruise with every intention of enjoying myself and would even have a good time marooned on a lighthouse with some good music and a bottle of Chateauneuf du Pape. :evilsmile::evilsmile: