Is carnival faster to the fun worth it?

metsmom

I believe FTTF is worth it. I'll share our recent experience sailing out of New Orleans.

* Arrival at port, we got directed past the long line wrapping around the side of terminal into the priority line. We were directed straight upstairs, past the long security line into our own one, past the regular check in line, and then directly onto the ship. Time from arrival to port to onto ship was about 20 minutes. Both me and my GF have back issues, so not standing in line for an hour was very welcome.

* When we boarded we went straight to our stateroom and dropped off our backpacks. Was nice not having to carry them around till 1:30.

* We pre-purchased the unlimited bubbles program for my GF's Son, but when he went to use it at the bar, it didn't work. We were directed to guest services, that had a line around the lobby since it was embarkation day. I was able to go in the priority line and we got the issue sorted within about 5 minutes.

* I had some Carnival gift cards I wanted to add to my account. The kiosks weren't working right, so again I was able to skip the line at guest services and they got it all sorted out for me.

In my mind, that was well worth the $70 I paid. I would definitely do it again if it was available. I don't like spending my vacation waiting in lines. It comes down to its worth it to some people, but not to others. It's definitely worth it to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I can't say whether it is worth it or not as our upcoming sailing is the first we will try it. We purchased it based on a couple of things that may help someone else decide as well...

- we arrive early at the port as we like to be among the first on the ship

- we have quite a bit of carry on luggage as my oldest son is a Type 1 Diabetic so it will be nice to be rid of those bags upon embarkation

- on our last cruise we visited Guest Services often for various needs ($ on Sail on Sign for kids, lost items, etc...) and the lines were long. We had tried to purchase FTTF for that cruise but it was unavailable so every time we stood in the long line we would lament that we "could have" been in the much shorter line if only we had FTTF.

- security is always an issue with my Type 1 Diabetic's medical devices so a shorter line there might make it less stressful

Op "Is it worth it" is a difficult answer to come up with as none of us know what type of person you are or what you might like to do. To me it comes down to two things is there going to be anything else I want to do before getting on board the ship. If I am sailing out of NOLA there isn't since I am there so much. If I am sailing out of a new port where I have never been there might be something I would like to see before I get on board, so the rush to get on board isn't as important. Also are you traveling with alot of carry on luggage in this case it might benefit you. So you see there are lots or reason why to get and lots of reason why not to but all of it comes down to what type of person you are.

Here is my recent experience on the Pride with FTTF.

I sailed June 25th. The previous cruise was 2 hours late getting in and created a horrible embarkation problem. After sitting in a traffic jam for over an hour, we parked and went to the priority check-in line which was about 10 time less as long as the regular check-in line. Once we checked in they had already started boarding and we were allowed to proceed directly to the ship. Others checking in were seated to wait for their boarding number to be called. Saved us quite a bit of time.

When we boarded our cabin was ready, but most of the cabins were ready, not just FTTF by then because of the late schedule.

Our luggage came fairly soon after we boarded, but not sure how much that saved. There was luggage in the hall prior to ours that were not priority.

I visited guest services about 4 or 5 times with some simple questions or requests. A couple of times the regular line was 10 deep. I liked not having to wait or put off my request for later.

I had a cabana at HMC and while you get priority tendering with it, my travel companions were able to use their FTTF priority tendering to maximize their time on the island and our use of the cabana.

Our cruise was 3.5 hours late getting back so again the debarkation was not a normal one necessarily. Those with FTTF and doing self-assist are asked to wait in a specific area. Once the ship was cleared, we were basically the first people off the ship. We were out the door and headed home rather quickly.

I will always attempt to get FTTF with any of our Carnival cruises.

I like(d) it, but I don't care for the recent price hikes, although I don't blame Carnival for making money.

The problem for us this year is that we have 2 staterooms. I wish Carnival would consider some form of discounting when bookings are linked, particularly when it's children in the other room.

Do you have to get it for both cabins? If you got it for one you could still leave your bags and one parent board with the youngest child while other parent boards with the masses. I've never noticed much difference really with boarding times.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Do you have to get it for both cabins? If you got it for one you could still leave your bags and one parent board with the youngest child while other parent boards with the masses. I've never noticed much difference really with boarding times.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Its per cabin....so if you have people traveling in 2,3,4 cabins, one can get it and throw all the carryons in 1 room. Keep in mind tho that the only cabin will be able to board with the FTTF'ers, so for example you get on and drop your bags, you may have to wait for the people in the other cabin to board and you will have to meet them in a common area as they wont be able to access the hallway to the cabins....unless you all decide to board together in general boarding

I'm Diamond now, and was Platinum when FTTF was first introduced, so I never had to consider the extra $49.99 fee back then for priority. My own 2 cents is that in any port except San Juan it is a personal decision, no right or wrong answer. {In San JuanFTTF gives you the priority line at guest services and not much more}. I do spend that $70 now for a Steakhouse dinner every cruise.

An interesting Myth Busters episode concerned how to board a plane most efficiently and quickly. The show concluded that most airlines aren't interested in the best way to board, but keep the boarding process difficult,encouraging fliers to pay extra to avoid the hassles. Perhaps cruiselines have the same rationale?

We like it when we are sailing from any of the east coast ports, since we leave our house very early and drive over to the ports. It's worth knowing you can check in when you arrive and not have to wait for an assigned time.

When we drive up to Port of Tampa, a hop, skip & jump from our house, we don't get it because it's a short drive and we just go a bit later than the "crowd".

Only cruised once and didn't have it. Would have saved more than the $70 if I was able to book an earlier flight home. Was too "chicken" to risk an 11:30am flight as a first-timer. We chose a late boarding time so we could drop those soda 12-packs at the room immediately but understand that's not always an option. Never had issues with tender (had two tender ports), and only had to visit guest services once.

I thought a nice relaxing breakfast on debarkation day would be nice, but in hindsight I'd rather avoid the trampling mess and go to a nice diner after the cruise.

• 11 months later...
Wow, I'm Platinum and never realized that my earned perks were so sought after, but $70? I personally would not buy it, maybe I just take it for granted. Does FTTF include any laundry or gifts that we get?

No it doesn't include laundry or gifts. Interesting thought though, I wonder what people would pay for the total platinum experience?