Reading the small print.

Warford Lady

I've read that but I used to take an extension lead without any problem. Only used it when we were in the cabin. Now we take a multi-charger with the CE logo and it's within the rules and much quicker anyway

For those with multiple ipads, phones, tablets, cameras etc., I'd back this suggestion up - I've started using an adapter with 4 USB charging sockets, even at home, plus you can get them with different interchangeable adapters for different countries. Much smaller than a 4 way extension socket and last time I looked only around £10-15.

For those with multiple ipads, phones, tablets, cameras etc., I'd back this suggestion up - I've started using an adapter with 4 USB charging sockets, even at home, plus you can get them with different interchangeable adapters for different countries. Much smaller than a 4 way extension socket and last time I looked only around £10-15.

Something like this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Syncwire-Interchangeable-Adaptor-Lifetime-Warranty-Bank-White/dp/B011KPRE1G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1500307247&sr=8-1&keywords=usb+charger

Brian

Not the exact one I bought, but looks like the same thing. They're not a surge protection device as far as I know, just a multiple usb outlet version of your typical device charger, converting mains to the usual usb charging output.

Why would an extension device that is surge protected be banned, what problems might it create on board?

Ships' electrics aren't the same as on land so surge protectors don't work and may overheat (which obviously is a Bad Thing). There's a recent thread about USB power supplies in the Cunard forum where someone asked this, and one of the contributors helpfully posted this link to a thread which provides a long and detailed answer: http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2237184

Ships' electrics aren't the same as on land so surge protectors don't work and may overheat (which obviously is a Bad Thing). There's a recent thread about USB power supplies in the Cunard forum where someone asked this, and one of the contributors helpfully posted this link to a thread which provides a long and detailed answer: http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2237184

I read part of this but decided that if I was to remain sane I should just forget the whole thing, I always thought electricity had a bit of black magic about it this just confirms my view.

Still not certain whether a surge protected strip or a non surge one is more likely to cause plugged in appliances to overload though, but I guess we should just make sure we don't use one.

On the subject of sockets, is there a Euro socket, or even a UK socket, under the beds in Azura balcony cabins? They do on Princess ships of same class (Grand).

I have a CPAP but as I live in Europe it has a 2pin euro plug. Really just wondering if I have to buy yet another adapter....

I believe extension sockets are fine to take and I would guess that when appropriate cabin stewards would raise any concerns they have. Travel irons should not be taken..why would anyone want to miss out on the laundry room gossip?

Conflicting views on that, the cruise personaliser says you cant take them, the website says you can.

You cant take a surge protected strip in either case.

I will ask their Facebook page which article is correct.

Reply from P&O:

"Passengers should only bring power extension packs on board if they have to do so for medical reasons. If this is for general use (i.e. chargers, electrical hair appliances) we would advise passengers do not bring these aboard. Additionally we would not advise bringing surge protected power adapters on board unless absolutely necessary"