Spa Sales Pitches and Tipping

cruzin4us

One of my most anticipated things on a cruise is to get a massage. However, for many days before I start formulating my "No Thank You" to the dreaded sales pitch that follows my massage. Last time I prefaced my massage with "please don't try to sell me anything afterwards because I won't buy anything". My thought was she was forewarned and if she started in on the pitch I would reduce her tip. Sounds cruel, but I was upfront and I didn't want to hear any sales pitch after what was a nice massage. I also thought, I could either get 1 massage and buy some product, or I could forego the product and get another massage. This was a no brainer for me ;)

To her credit, she didn't try to "pitch" me anything but she handed me a handwritten list with her suggestions for products. I said thank you, tipped her well and walked out and tossed the list in the trash. That was the best no sales pitch spa service I've ever had on a cruise ship.

How do the rest of you handle the sales pitch?

I would also like to know if there is a common standard on how much one should tip for a spa service. I know there is no standard answer, but it would be helpful to hear what you consider to be a fair/good tip? Let's assume for this discussion you had a great spa service.

I am so sick of the sales pitch after the service.. ..for awhile I had a good run where I would advise before the service that I did not want to be sold anything and if they had to write something on a sheet to hand me they were welcome to but to not discuss anything. They normally honored that and then something changed on my last cruise and even though I said that they went through the pitch and almost felt like they were blocking the door from you leaving. After that I no longer got services on the cruise.

I definitely tipped well when an esthetician honored my request and did not tip well when they didnt. I find any relaxation negated when I have to argue with someone about not buying some stupid product

How do the rest of you handle the sales pitch?

I handle it the same way as you - tell the masseuse in advance I'm only there for a massage.

If memory serves me correctly, the spa adds a service charge to the bill, similar to your beverage checks, to which you can add an additional tip. If I'm wrong on this, the end result is I tip the same as I would a server in a restaurant.

If the sales pitch only came AFTER the massage it wouldn't be so bad! My experience has been that they often don't stop talking DURING, which considerably alters the relaxing experience a massage should be... I too start the interaction by saying "I won't be purchasing any products, and I'd like quiet during the treatment".... OR, I say "I'll be purchasing the Elemis Collagen face cream but nothing else, so please, I'd like quiet during the treatment."....

Has it changed?? There used to be a 15% tip automatically added to any spa service, just like bar service. Not sure as several mentioned additional tipping.

The required service charge of 15% is still there. There is also a line for an additional tip, should you want to add something more.

This is not only a HAL issue. Happens on other lines.

DW has been so turned off by it that she does not even bother with the spa or their products any more.

She finds the pricing excessive in relation to the service and the quality, the quest for additional tips over and above the 15 percent offputting, and the sales pitch for product one step removed from a carnival barker selling Dr. Whatevers majic ointment.

Celebrity, Princess, and RCI have the same environment. Possibly operated by the same third party company.

The "products" are where the spa profit comes from...that's why there is such a hard sell... Simply tell them upfront that you are ONLY there for the service, and NOT the product!

Also, check your bill for added tip...sometimes it's already on there!!!

London-based Steiner Leisure Ltd, as a sub-contractor, handles the spa, salon and gym services/staffing for 14 cruise lines; Azamara Club Cruises, Carnival Cruise Lines, Crystal Cruises, Cunard Cruise Line, Holland America Line, Ibero Cruises, Norwegian Cruise Line, P&O Cruises, Princess Cruises, Pullmantur Cruises, Royal Caribbean Cruises, Seabourn Cruise Lines, Silversea Cruises and Windstar Cruises.

My DW talks with the Spa Mgr when setting her spa appointments. She clearly tells the mgr to note and discuss with her direct reports that she is not interested in any sales pitch before, during or after her treatments. She does use Elemis products and if she needs any she also informs the Spa Mgr of the products she will purchase from the masseuse or facial person at the time of treatment. She has never had an issue since using this approach. She often tips in cash an additional amount usually 10-15% IF the service/ masseuse warrants it.

I guess I should have used this method on our last cruise as I had my 1st ever massage and had the sales pitch during and after! I did like the massage but never felt relaxed due to the constant talking.

We are very experienced at saying no, thank you. We have zero issue with it, nor do we have an issue with tipping based on service rendered vs accepted standards.

We feel no pressure to tip for poor service nor do we feel any pressure to tip over and above the 15 point service charge that is added to many bills.

We think people who tip for bad service because they feel it is expected of them only make the level of service worse for everyone else.

I find the rack spa massage prices in another world as I can do so much better on shore. Sometimes they put on a special, then I might be tempted. 15% SC is enough unless the service was exceptional.