Tipping at MDR/Restaurants

Hi Folks,

Another tipping/gratuity question here. I know gratuities are either prepaid or added on at the end of your cruise, but I feel strange getting up and leaving after a meal at the MDR/Restaurant. Do you guys leave an additional tip on the table for your waiters? If so, how much would be reasonable? Been on a few cruises in the past but never ate out at the MDR or tried any of the restaurants (had a baby in tow, and couldn't deal with the long wait for food and didn't want to disturb any other patrons with a fussy baby/toddler then) but this time round we have booked many dining options. :)

I always hand my waiter and assistant waiter cash on the last night. I never leave it on the table. This is on top of prepaid. The amounts are dependent on the type of service, how many days, etc. There is no correct amount, just what you feel is good.

I always hand my waiter and assistant waiter cash on the last night. I never leave it on the table. This is on top of prepaid. The amounts are dependent on the type of service, how many days, etc. There is no correct amount, just what you feel is good.

Same, especially if we've had a good team!

Don't feel "strange"...you aren't SUPPOSED to leave cash on the table! A ship is touted as "cashless"...so take them for their word! The tips you pay on your account, or prepay cover the cabin attendant, waiters, ass't waiters and head waiter. No daily cash tips needed or expected.

I tip the last night in the MDR if I have eaten there a few nights and had the same waitstaff. Usually, though, we eat mostly in the specialty restaurants and in there we tip nightly at the end of the meal.

I tip the last night in the MDR if I have eaten there a few nights and had the same waitstaff. Usually, though, we eat mostly in the specialty restaurants and in there we tip nightly at the end of the meal.

How much do you tip at the Specialty Restaurants?

Take a vacation to some Asian countries like Japan, Taiwan, or South Korea. Tipping isn't part of their culture, and in some is even seen as offensive. That will cure you of your apprehension of leaving the table empty :)

It really opened my eyes to see that tipping does not necessarily result in better service because "they have to work for it". It was actually kind of the opposite, it was very pleasant to have any waiter/waitress refill your drink rather than wait for the one assigned to you, and they don't rush you out to clear the table for the next tip.

But, that's not how cruise ships work. The auto-gratuities go to everyone who serves you and even some who don't, regardless on if you eat at the MDR or not. You could go to the buffet every day for every meal, and the MDR staff would still get their portion of your daily gratuity. If someone goes above and beyond what's "normal" for you, then by all means hand them some cash if you so desire, but it's not expected.

My family is a party of 3 and the auto-gratuity is $40.50 per day. You'd have to pay $200/day at a land based restaurant to leave a 20% tip to equal that. Although it should be noted that your steward is also getting a portion of that daily gratuity.

All I'm trying to say is, don't worry, they ARE getting a tip!

About tipping on cruise ships

The cruise lines have increased the cost of tipping very quickly in the last several years & far faster than those working here in the USA for cost of living wage increases , Thus ,those getting high tips on cruise ships with NO Taxes taken out & using US dollars in their countries get a much better deal than most US workers at the same level of service ,At present tip levels we feel that there is no need to tip extra . They have a job to do & get very well paid for that job at present top levels . All imo pf course

We always wondered why doesn't the cruise lines include the tips into the general fares . The real reason is so that they can levy increased tips as they simultaneously increase the cruise fares or haven't been people watching this money grab .

Several things are happening in the cruise industry that are detrimental to the public . The above is one & the 2nd are the mega sized ships to leverage higher profits

Prediction : when the stock market tumbles taking the real estate values down with it plus general lay offs in industry ,the cruise lines will then by necessity have to lower prices & sail at cost just to fill cabin for people to spend at sea as a captive audience . It happened during the sub prime housing fiasco & it is going to happen again . Just my opinion