Jade Live- Norwegian fjords from Hamburg to Southampton.

This is a great thread! I've learned a lot from this thread and it seems like I'm on the cruise already, even though it's not till next week! Can hardly wait!

Gotta share some trivia with you that I just discovered. Did you know that just 2.5km west of Avaldsnes is where the copper used in the Statue of Liberty came from? It was a Norwegian mine operated by a French engineer that yielded the copper of an American icon! They have a small statue of liberty at the Visnes Mine Museum.

Just updated https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Haugesund#See .

Thanks trinity :).

We closed the atrium bar again- really enjoying Jamel (guitarist).

Cheryl, I think you're talking about Jumari, an really brilliant guitar player. I'm so happy that you mentioned him in this thread otherwise we could have missed him. BUT the next time he will play 'Sweet Carolyne' I'm gonna kill him... LOL

C U tonight @Jumari

Oliver

Oliver- next time he plays Caroline I'm going to find you and sing in your ear :). I'm sure Jumari is as sick of Caroline as you are. We just go with the flow. Hell, I dance and there isn't even a dance floor.

We adore Jumari and have been with him every night. He is an extremely talented musician. My dad was a professional musician and dh plays guitar too, so I can be a extremely picky when it comes to guitar players. We are seeing our first show tonight (blazing saddles or something along those lines). We will be back with Jumari to close his set afterward. Looking forward to more Santana and Stones, but we can make johnny cash work too.

Sf2aa- you are in for a real treat!! This is an amazing itinerary on a great ship with a wonderful crew. In fact, this may very well be my favorite cruise ever (and I started cruising in 1987).

We arrived in Bergen right on time. Like other ports, it took very little time before we were allowed to leave the ship. In fact, we've been off before the 8:00 am schedule the last two days. Cross your fingers for us, because tomorrow we have 7:30 am train tickets :).

In Bergen, the Jade docks at the pier that starts with a "J" and has a zillion letters. There is a "mandatory" free shuttle to take you to the port exit. From there you can pick up the HOHO bus or walk to town. We elected to walk. Very easy 15 minute. Follow the white arrows and dots and you'll be at the fish market in no time.

We were at the fish market as they were setting up which was interesting. We were also able to get some nice photos of Brygen before it got crowded.

Today we are sailing on a fjord cruise from Rodne (website online). We are cruising osterfjord to monostrum. Cost was $65 pp which was significantly less than any of the fjord cruise excursions offered by the cruise-line. I realize we will be cruising the fjords from the ship the next two days, but I wanted to add a small ship cruise to our itinerary to get a bit more up close and personal with the fjords. You pick up rodne fjord cruise right at the fish market. We were scheduled to depart at 10 am but actually left at 9:40.

Weather today is finally what I expected from Norway- a bit misty and overcast. It's still warm though. I brought lots off cozy warm Jammie's to sit on the balcony in but haven't needed anything warm at all. In fact, we've slept with the door wide open (shhh) every night. Yesterday it was 22C on the trolls tour. I could have easily been in shorts. Today, even though it's misty, I'm in a long sleeve cotton T and athletic pants and perfectly comfy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oliver- next time he plays Caroline I'm going to find you and sing in your ear :)... We will be back with Jumari to close his set afterward...

OMG please don't [emoji12]

Do you know where Jumari is scheduled to play for tonight? In the Dailies there's another guitar player listed for this evening at the Atrium [emoji15]

In Bergen, the Jade docks at the pier that starts with a "J" and has a zillion letters. There is a "mandatory" free shuttle to take you to the port exit. From there you can pick up the HOHO bus or walk to town. We elected to walk. Very easy 15 minute. Follow the white arrows and dots and you'll be at the fish market in no time.

This is not always the case, when we were in Bergen in June we docked at Bontelabo 2 which was a very short walk to Bryggen, no bus required.

You can check where Jade will dock here

Oliver- no Jumari tonight- must be his day off. Works for me because I have the alarm set very for our sail into flam.

Blocks- ty for the clarification. I hate giving wrong info.

Crazy- I've been posting the dailies. The spa specials are listed at the top. They have some very nice spa packages. Too bad this is such a port intensive itinerary- other than dinner and listening to Jumari in the evenings I have done very little on-board the ship.

Ty lucky- all were taken with an iPhone 7 plus.

Langley- go ahead and book the rodne fjord tour. There is nothing about it that was negative. Do you have any specific questions? At $65, we feel it was an excellent way to spend the morning in Bergen.

Oliver- no Jumari tonight- must be his day off. Works for me because I have the alarm set very for our sail into flam.

Blocks- ty for the clarification. I hate giving wrong info.

Crazy- I've been posting the dailies. The spa specials are listed at the top. They have some very nice spa packages. Too bad this is such a port intensive itinerary- other than dinner and listening to Jumari in the evenings I have done very little on-board the ship.

Ty lucky- all were taken with an iPhone 7 plus.

Langley- go ahead and book the rodne fjord tour. There is nothing about it that was negative. Do you have any specific questions? At $65, we feel it was an excellent way to spend the morning in Bergen.

Where was your Rodne tour departure at the port ? Was it difficult to find? What time did you return to port? We'd really like to have time to go to Mt. Floyen.

Thank you so much for ALL your time in posting answers.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

All right, just coming back from our trip to the Norwegians Birthplace: there's a free shuttle from the harbour to the already mentioned church and from there it's only one block down and a half block right where the bus station is. The driver DOESN'T need the exact fare, a hundert NOK bill is fine for him: it's 35 NOK each way per person, that's around 4,50$ per trip. A daily pass will cost you 95 NOK each.

On the way back the bus station is exactly on the other side of the road, from there (and the way back of course) it'll take you 12 to 15 minutes walking time to the Norwegian Birthplace. The stop in the city is only 4 blocks down where the shuttle to the harbour will depart.

Everything has been easy, please calculate around 4hours minimum from leaving the ship until your return...

Hope that helps...

Cheers Oliver

Just repeating..this is such a great thread! Thanks to you all. Oliver, back to Haugesund..did the Museum and Viking Farm accept credit cards?

...did the Museum and Viking Farm accept credit cards?

Yes, all major credit cards has been accepted. You are allowed to pay one time for both attractions while inside the museum (opens at 10am, the Viking Farm opens at 12)

Edited by Callimero

...your weather updates are helpful too. :):(

We've had so much luck so far, no rainy day, Alesund weather was awesome: sunshine with temperatures above the 70ies mark, today it's cloudy but no rain as previously predicted, hopefully we are again in a lucky position tomorrow at our last stop in Geiranger.

Where was your Rodne tour departure at the port ? Was it difficult to find? What time did you return to port? We'd really like to have time to go to Mt. Floyen.

Thank you so much for ALL your time in posting answers.

Hi Langley- Rodnefjord tour left at 10 am or 2pm. We elected the 10 am departure. Location Right smack in the middle of the fish market, can't miss it. Easily walkable from the ship even if you dock at the far port like we did. We were in Bergen from 8 am until 7 pm so PLEanTY of time to visit mt Floyen. Catamaran sold snacks and had free wifi. Totally go for it! At $65 I consider it an excellent value :)

As far as the weather goes, it was another glorious day with the sun attempting to peek through. I wore one long sleeve t and athletic pants with my marmot precip at the top of the mountain. By the time we biked to flam I ditched the precip. For the first time this trip I wore my super soft Sherpa pjs on the balcony for the sail out of the fjords. For those packing- layer is the key. Our weather has been warm enough to shed right down to a t-shirt, but Norway weather is notoriously unpredictable. Our guide in Alesund said it snowed on the troll excursion last year on august 15th, so being prepared for anything is key.

Words nor pictures can describe today. Positively one of the top 5 experiences of my lifetime. Where to begin?

Ship cleared in flam about 15 minutes late. Exited ship at 7:20. We had 7:30 am train tickets to Mydral. Purchased tickets direct for $49pp. Cruise charging $179 pp for same train ride. Train station is literally adjacent to port so made it with plenty of time. Train ride was beautiful. Made a stop at waterfall near top for photo op. We exited train in mydral, where we pre-reserved bikes from mydral cafe. Be sure to reserve your bike as the certainly sell out.

I should mention that we purchased round trip tickets in the event of weather. Our original plan was to ride the train back from Mydral to Bloomqst and walk the remaining 8 miles.

Thanks to someone on my roll call I was made aware that the 7:30 am train is the only train that doesn't make any stops on the return. Our choice was to walk or bike the entire 13 Miles. We elected to bike because our port stop was so short (7-3) and I am absolutely thrilled with our choice.

The we wAlked our bikes the first mile or so. There were 22 switchbacks with loose gravel. After that the entire trail to flam was quite easy. Only one uphill portion about mid way and the rest was coasting. Most of the trail was steep enough to require braking. I haven't biked in 30 years and found it totally manageable.

We made several stops along the way to let the experience deeply penetrate our soul. As they say, travel is the only thing in life that makes you richer. I'm a zillionaire today.

The goats sprawled in the road were a hoot. We had lunch on a rock overlooking a huge waterfall. In fact, there were waterfalls the entire distance. Huge ones, fat ones, skinny ones, vertical ones- you name the waterfall type and this ride had it.

As we neared Flam the trail leveled off and required some easy peddling. The journey took us 4 hours (with MANY stops along the way). We returned the bikes at the very well marked area near the train station in flam where they will be put back on the train this evening to make the trek to Mydral for tomorrow's riders. We had a bit of time to wander around the very charming town of Flam to sample brown cheese and buy the T-shirt.

Basically, I was awe struck the entire day and probably still am. The sail out of the fjord was like an entirely new excursion from our private balcony. It takes over 6 hours before the fjord finally levels off and the entire sail is eye candy.

If this at all sounds appealing, PLEASE reserve your train and bikes immediately. It is quite simply an experience not to miss.

pS- despite the warning otherwise, we've had internet while sailing in the fjord. Photos may take awhile to upload though, but I promise to post them eventually.

Hi Langley- Rodnefjord tour left at 10 am or 2pm. We elected the 10 am departure. Location Right smack in the middle of the fish market, can't miss it. Easily walkable from the ship even if you dock at the far port like we did. We were in Bergen from 8 am until 7 pm so PLEanTY of time to visit mt Floyen. Catamaran sold snacks and had free wifi. Totally go for it! At $65 I consider it an excellent value :)

As far as the weather goes, it was another glorious day with the sun attempting to peek through. I wore one long sleeve t and athletic pants with my marmot precip at the top of the mountain. By the time we biked to flam I ditched the precip. For the first time this trip I wore my super soft Sherpa pjs on the balcony for the sail out of the fjords. For those packing- layer is the key. Our weather has been warm enough to shed right down to a t-shirt, but Norway weather is notoriously unpredictable. Our guide in Alesund said it snowed on the troll excursion last year on august 15th, so being prepared for anything is key.

Thank you ever so much!!! If I was onboard I'd buy you a drink or 2 :-) You are a very giving person to take your time while on vacation, to answer everyone's question, to make our experience easier when we get there!

I applaud you!!!! You rock!!!!

Vickie