Jade Live- Norwegian fjords from Hamburg to Southampton.

Thanks trinity :).

We closed the atrium bar again- really enjoying Jamel (guitarist). Extremely talented with a wide range. Crowd cheered him on for two encores. We then went to osheehans for the chili wings and nachos. Yum. I finally figured out a drink that will get me a decent buzz- long islands. Not sure what they are putting in the Moscow mule but lDt night I drank 5 and was hardly tipsy- I should have been under the table.

Today's dailies:

e8d944c49a3a1d41d5798957db43403e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks trinity :).

We closed the atrium bar again- really enjoying Jamel (guitarist). Extremely talented with a wide range. Crowd cheered him on for two encores. We then went to osheehans for the chili wings and nachos. Yum. I finally figured out a drink that will get me a decent buzz- long islands. Not sure what they are putting in the Moscow mule but lDt night I drank 5 and was hardly tipsy- I should have been under the table.

Today's dailies:

e8d944c49a3a1d41d5798957db43403e.jpg

Thanks for your posts. Where's the public bus stop you are going to pickup the bus in Haugesund? Is the fare 40 kr exact change?

Sent from my R1 HD using Forums mobile app

BermudaBound2014, following your wonderful posts! We'll be on the Jade TA out of Southampton September 2018, fulfilling 2 bucket lists...first time in London, as well as our first Transatlantic Cruise. First time on the Jade, also!😊

Enjoy the rest of your cruise, and thank you for sharing...I'll be following you along!!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Forums mobile app

...Where's the public bus stop you are going to pickup the bus in Haugesund? Is the fare 40 kr exact change?[/url]

Good morning from the wonderful little City Haugesund. I may just 'enter' this thread and will try to give you some additional information beside Cheryl already did in her very informative posts.

We just arrived here on time at 7:45 and the ships doors will open shortly. The bus stop is located not far away from the harbour in the near of a little church. You'll find more precise directions in 'our' Roll Call from the July 30iest sailing, just look it up and go to post #841 or around that: there's a LOT of information around this topic. The fare is 35,- NOK if you need exact change we'll figure out in a couple of minutes and post it here.

Talk to you later...

Oliverb1aa7cff00898bfed8e734eb49057a19.jpg3bedcd999370c38c2d8df97fafee412a.jpg8fd7b978008e1350c8c031ee5e0272a2.jpg

Where's the public bus stop you are going to pickup the bus in Haugesund? Is the fare 40 kr exact change?[/url]

All right, just coming back from our trip to the Norwegians Birthplace: there's a free shuttle from the harbour to the already mentioned church and from there it's only one block down and a half block right where the bus station is. The driver DOESN'T need the exact fare, a hundert NOK bill is fine for him: it's 35 NOK each way per person, that's around 4,50$ per trip. A daily pass will cost you 95 NOK each.

On the way back the bus station is exactly on the other side of the road, from there (and the way back of course) it'll take you 12 to 15 minutes walking time to the Norwegian Birthplace. The stop in the city is only 4 blocks down where the shuttle to the harbour will depart.

Everything has been easy, please calculate around 4hours minimum from leaving the ship until your return...

Hope that helps...

Cheers Oliver

All right, just coming back from our trip to the Norwegians Birthplace: there's a free shuttle from the harbour to the already mentioned church and from there it's only one block down and a half block right where the bus station is. The driver DOESN'T need the exact fare, a hundert NOK bill is fine for him: it's 35 NOK each way per person, that's around 4,50$ per trip. A daily pass will cost you 95 NOK each.

On the way back the bus station is exactly on the other side of the road, from there (and the way back of course) it'll take you 12 to 15 minutes walking time to the Norwegian Birthplace. The stop in the city is only 4 blocks down where the shuttle to the harbour will depart.

Everything has been easy, please calculate around 4hours minimum from leaving the ship until your return...

Hope that helps...

Cheers Oliver

Very helpful. Thanks! What time did the bus depart and then return? We are only in port until 3. I understand there is a tourist center at the harbor. Is there an ATM there? Did you enjoy the attraction?

Carolyn

Very helpful. Thanks! What time did the bus depart and then return? We are only in port until 3. I understand there is a tourist center at the harbor. Is there an ATM there? Did you enjoy the attraction?

Carol, There are two bus lines 209 and 210 which serves Alvernes. They 're departing in 20 minutes time difference and in between there's a 40 minutes break. No clue if there's a ATM at the harbour but there a lot in Haugesand. Enjoyed a LOT, gives you a deep insight in the Norwegian Saga (Thor, Odin, Hunin & Munin etc.)

Cheers Oliver

I was up this morning to watch our pretty sail into Haugesund from the balcony. Shortly after the sky opened up and it started pouring rain. Accompanied by thunder and lightening. Seriously pouring. Since We weren't going to head off the ship at the originally planned time, we crawled back in bed for a morning nap with the balcony door open listening to the rain.

Around 9:30 it started to clear. Rain turned to sprinkles and blue sky peeked out. We dressed with rain gear and left the ship. We were sort of herded into a free shuttle (our plan was to walk over the bridge). Shuttle dropped us off at the church in the center of town. Since we didn't walk into town, the place we planned to pick up the 210 bus changed. The shuttle driver did not know where to meet the 210 bus and directed is to the visitor center down the street. The visitor center was packed with people from the cruise trying to figure out their day. We waited our turn and got directions to our "new" bus stop. When I get home I'll mark exactly where to pick up the 210 bus on a map in case you too get herded on the shuttle or choose not to walk over the bridge. Cost of the public bus is 35 nok pp each way (about 4 usd).

I also recommend a maps app so you know the road to take from the bus stop in avaldnes to the Viking center. It is an easy 15-20 minute walk from the bus stop to the Viking center/farm.

We purchased tickets for 150 nok . The ticket is duel and covers the history center and the farm. You are given head sets to narrate through the history center. The tour started with a short movie about Norse legend. After the movie You are lead into a history exhibit where the headsets describe the exhibits. Dh loved the history center - me, not so much but I'm not a museum girl. Dh said he could have stayed there for hours. I'd have poked my eye out like Oden.

After the history center we walked to the farm. The walk took about 10-15 minutes from the history center to the farm. Very pretty walk. Neither dh nor I were impressed with the tour guides at the farm- they weren't into it and I thought it was a bit hooky, but the landscape was beautiful.

We spent some time taking pictures of st. Olves church which is stunning. Afterward, we backtracked to the bus stop in avaldnes and took the 209 bus back into town. Total cost:

70 nok pp round trip bus plus 150 entrance fee or 220 nok pp. much cheaper than the cruise excursion and slightly cheaper than the Viking express bus which was 275 nok pp. Beware- even if you purchase Viking bus tickets in advance you are not guaranteed a seat on the express bus. Several people were quite miffed when the 11:15 bus was at capacity (even though they had tickets, they had to wait for the 1:15 bus). The Viking center bus is great for anyone with walking troubles as it is convenient- but if you are a walker, the public bus system worked well and saves about $20 usd pp. over the Viking bus ticket and tons over the cruise excursion.

Overall I'd recommend the excursion only if you like history. There wasn't much to choose from in Haugesund, so it worked out well for us. Dh got his history in, and now we can spend the rest of the trip outside :).

Btw- the day ended up with blue skies and very warm. I was hot in a long sleeve t shirt today and the pool was quite busy when we got back onboard.

Dinner was again in grand pacific- this time i didn't get cut (I'll explain more later). After dinner we retreated to the balcony for awhile. At 7:30 the sun was still high in the sky and quite warm- in fact, warm enough to sit outside in shorts.

I'm sure we will close the atrium bar again tonight. Tomorrow brings us to alesund where we have booked a trolls tour with a private company.

How accessible are the buses in Haugersund for a wheelchair user? We can collapse the wheelchair if needed but if that's the case is there a space on the bus to place it?

How accessible is the museum for a wheelchair?

Thank you, really enjoying your review. We are the cruise after yours from Southampton.

To all who post regarding Avaldsnes, many thanks! We will be in haugesund Aug 15 on the Jade and plan to take that public bus to the history center, farm. The cruise shuttle dropped you off at Var Frelsers kirke, at skaregata and torggata? And the buses run on sorhauggata outbound and strandgata inbound? Essentially just walk down or up torggata. Just want to confirm. Do they have street signs?

Updated wikivoyage on Haugesund, which has detailed instructions on how to get for the Avaldsnes bus stop on E134 to the historical center. Basically it says go under the main road E134 and then follow Kong Augvaldsweg to St Olav's Church. Does that sound right?

Thanks again! 😜

sent from Fire 5th

It sounds like the information I received from the Tourist Center makes the excursion more complicated than it really is. At least I hope so:). Did either one of you...Oliver or Cheryl, notice what time you actually boarded the bus? The museum doesn't open until 10 and I had been told the 210 bus runs at 17minutes past the hour from the city center which is where the shuttle let you off correct?

Happy to hear the weather improved..hope it stays nice!

Carolyn

Thanks for your review. I'm visiting a few of these ports next year and I'm really enjoying your updates. Especially looking forward to your eMobility excursion. My question is about the train ride from Amsterdam to Hamburg, can you tell me where you caught the train, the cost, how many connections, what class you were in, etc. I'll be doing it solo so I want to make sure I have a good plan.

Cshellz... regarding assessablity: I'm not sure about the bus with a wheelchair, but I would not at all consider the history center or farm easily assessible. The history center would be fine once you got there, but the path there was pea-gravel which is especially difficult to manipulate. I would say the farm is a no-go ;(. The path there was 10-15 minutes on very uneven trail. Sorry, wish I had better news to report. Perhaps someone with direct expertise can comment.

SFA- street signs are spotty. the first part of your post is wrong. I will create and post a map exactly where to pick up the bus if you take the free shuttle into town once we get home, promise. The second para if your post is correct.

Cknic- we took the 11:17 bus out but we were behind schedule due to the rain. The bus does not run directly from where the free shuttle drops you off. One street south and one west. I'll markup a map when I return.

Tina - ironically I received excellent directions from a fabulous lady named Tina who lives in Germany. We booked first class tickets fat in advance. One connection in osonobruk. I can post all the specifics when I return home. Please don't hesitate to remind me if this request gets lost in the thread.

Your information is wonderful! Please post information and contact information if possible about your private trolls excursion in Alesund tomorrow. That is one of the tours we'd like to plan for our little group of six next August on the cruise similar to yours. Many thanks and continue to enjoy!

BermudaBound2014, Thanks so much for posting. We're on the Aug. 9th sailing from Southampton. That will be us "waving" at you when you depart!

Interested in your bus excursion in Haugesund. We wish to take the public bus from downtown to Skudeneshavn (end of the Karmoy peninsula). What I've read is that the bus to catch is the 10 or X10 (which also stops in Avaldsnes). Did your bus continue further south? We want to do our own "walk-about' in the harbor town (DIY option from the ship's excursion). If there is more than one bus line that goes that far south, we will have more options for there and back. We dock at 8:00 and depart at 4:00.

Following your posts. All packed and ready to go. We, too, are spending a few days pre-cruise in Amsterdam and flying directly to Southampton. Keep those tips coming.

Thanks again,

Marcie

Cshellz... regarding assessablity: I'm not sure about the bus with a wheelchair, but I would not at all consider the history center or farm easily assessible. The history center would be fine once you got there, but the path there was pea-gravel which is especially difficult to manipulate. I would say the farm is a no-go ;(. The path there was 10-15 minutes on very uneven trail. Sorry, wish I had better news to report. Perhaps someone with direct expertise can comment.

SFA- street signs are spotty. the first part of your post is wrong. I will create and post a map exactly where to pick up the bus if you take the free shuttle into town once we get home, promise. The second para if your post is correct.

Cknic- we took the 11:17 bus out but we were behind schedule due to the rain. The bus does not run directly from where the free shuttle drops you off. One street south and one west. I'll markup a map when I return.

Tina - ironically I received excellent directions from a fabulous lady named Tina who lives in Germany. We booked first class tickets fat in advance. One connection in osonobruk. I can post all the specifics when I return home. Please don't hesitate to remind me if this request gets lost in the thread.

Hi again,

Went back to #844 in the July 30 rollcall (as recommended by Oliver I think) and found these instructions concerning Haugesund Avaldsnes from Tina-O??:

"We will take one of the public busses too. Best bus stop to get on seems to be Sorhauggata Terminal (on Sorhauggata at Nygata corner) Bus 210 leaves at 10:18 am, Bus 209 at 10:40. Price is 35 NOK each way, 18 NOK for kids, students and seniors."

Is the Sorhauggata@Nygata bus stop the one you all used to go to Avaldsnes?

Wouldn't the Sorhauggata@Torggata bus stop be closer to the Var Frelsers church where the cruise shuttle drops off?

Thanks again.

Hi again,

Went back to #844 in the July 30 rollcall (as recommended by Oliver I think) ...

Wouldn't the Sorhauggata@Torggata bus stop be closer to the Var Frelsers church where the cruise shuttle drops off?

Thanks again.

You are 100% right. If you look on the screenshot Cheryl posted in #868 you'll see a blue sqaure BELOW the Var Frelser church, that's the precise pick up location for the Avaldsnes Bus #209 or #210, as you've posted the corner of Sorhauggata@Torggata.

BELOW the first little blue square there's another one two blocks down, that's the drop off location when you're returning. That's at the corner of Strandgata@Torggata. So you'll have to walk only 3 blocks up back to the church on your return and right in front of the church you'll be able to pick up the free shuttle back to the ship.

Did anyone take the Aalesund little city train up to mt Aksla? The hop on hop off bus co. said that the road to Mt Aksla is closed for heavy buses like theirs. What's the situation with that road now?

Thanks again!

sent from Fire 5th

Geogal- the 210 goes all the way to skufeneshavn. There were cruise people on our bus hEaded there. The bus system is reasonably easy to navigate but I do recommend downloading the maps of the bus stop choices first. I believe the return trip is every hour and the total road time is about 45 minutes, but please double check that.

Sf2aa- sounds right, we got messed up because we planned to walk to town (over the bridge) which meant a different stop. If you take the free shuttle take the stop by the church. Again, I'll map it out when we get back so it's clearer for everyone

(but I know you're leaving).

Our trip today with Norway excursions trolls to fjords was nothing short of spectacular- here are just a few pics. LeBistro tonight didn't disappoint. I'll post more details when we get home (I don't want to take a bunch of time right now as we are having a glorious vacation.