Sports mad men

Macdan

Hello

We have booked a cruise on the Voyager for September. We are travelling with 2 football (soccer) mad men in our party. My question is - is there anywhere on the ship that shows The English Premiership matches?

Thanks

Hello

We have booked a cruise on the Voyager for September. We are travelling with 2 football (soccer) mad men in our party. My question is - is there anywhere on the ship that shows The English Premiership matches?

Thanks

Very doubtful. They don't even show American football games on television.

Regent ships have Sky Sports as one of the channels on the TV in your suite.

As long as Sky is covering the matches you want, and satellite comms are OK, then you should be able to watch.

My wife would love that - NOT :rolleyes:

Hmmm, if they have Sky Sports and not ESPN, that is an issue (not for me but for others). Must assume that the cost to broadcast Sky Sports is at least couple hundred thousand dollars less than broadcasting ESPN on all of their ships.

I don't think that any of the Regent ships carry ESPN.

I didn't realise that ESPN covers English premiership soccer.

My point was that Regent doesn't carry major football games (except for Super Bowl* which is one game), baseball games or any other sporting event. So, it is odd that they carry soccer in the U.K.

*There was a question for a few years about Regent carrying Super Bowl as the cost is over-the-top. They now seem to carry it but, as has been said, The U.K. only represents about 20% of Regent cruisers. For that reason, one must assume that they can carry English sporting events at a fraction of the cost of events in the U.S. If I am incorrect in that assumption, hopefully someone from Regent will pipe in.

My point was that Regent doesn't carry major football games (except for Super Bowl* which is one game), baseball games or any other sporting event.

I assume you meant " ............. any other U.S. sporting event" :confused:

I doubt that Regent set out to exclude any specific TV favourites, they just chose a satellite TV bundle with certain channels and not others.

Personally, it makes no difference to us. We are not avid sports fans and only occasionally use the TV when on a cruise ............... sometimes for the daily programme, broadcast by the CD, and maybe the odd film.

Hello

Thanks

Hi, I'm an American who loves to watch the English Premier League and who travels often on Regent. Answer - NO, Regent television does NOT "show" the matches. The Sky Sports channel gives the running score and some commentary on current status of play - not satisfactory for me.

Jeez, I think I might need to turn in my man card...I love me some 'Murican football, but honestly it's way down on my priority list when I'm on board Regent. There are any number of things I'd rather be doing than watching a game.

UUnetBill, I really hope one day I meet you on a cruise - are you as funny in person? My husband has missed the super bowl on a couple of occasions - I took him to the ballet the first year we got married (who knew that the super Bowl was on a Sunday in January). Last year we were in New Orleans for Mardi Gras and he was watching a parade - not watching the football game. Enjoy the vacation instead!

I assume you meant " ............. any other U.S. sporting event" :confused:

I doubt that Regent set out to exclude any specific TV favourites, they just chose a satellite TV bundle with certain channels and not others.

No, I meant any other sporting event which is why I said it was odd that they would show soccer.:cool: Apparently I was right and Regent doesn't show matches -- not even on Sky Sports.

I doubt if cruise lines choose a satellite bundle but rather select channels that they want to have onboard. This is not generally an issue except for special events which, as I said, are extremely costly to show.

Bill - I'm with you. We are on a cruise/vacation to turn off the "real world". If I was interested in sports (which I'm not - at least not football) and knew that there are annual play-offs of matches, I would not book a cruise during that time.

There have been some major television finales (sad to admit that I'm into reality television) that I've missed. Since they were recorded, I watch them when I get home. So, if the "Sports mad men" that will miss the event, record it and don't try to find out the results, they can watch it at home. Alternatively, depending upon the time of day it is shown, if the ship in is port they can go to a sports bar and watch it there.

UUnetBill, I really hope one day I meet you on a cruise - are you as funny in person? My husband has missed the super bowl on a couple of occasions - I took him to the ballet the first year we got married (who knew that the super Bowl was on a Sunday in January). Last year we were in New Orleans for Mardi Gras and he was watching a parade - not watching the football game. Enjoy the vacation instead!

:D

Irishwitchy - there's still some availability on Explorer next month - F1 and G1 - you should take a last-minute cruise with us! I'll buy the first round of drinks. Hell, I'll get the second round, too - I'm feeling generous. :champagne-toast:

My wife is a big fan of Broadway shows (she's originally from northwest Jersey) and we see as many of the traveling shows as we can, but fortunately for me she also enjoys football ('Murican) so there'd never be a Super Bowl conflict. But we're also very limited on the timing of our cruises, so there is always the chance of missing something cool for a cruise. In fact, for our August cruise we're missing "The King and I" and (more traumatic) the solar eclipse, which of course is passing directly above us here in SC. We've got a much better chance of seeing "The King and I" again than we do of being directly in the path of totality of a solar eclipse in North America...oh, well...it's like I told my wife when she mentioned that we were missing the show, "Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera".

I'm a soccer fan too (and working youth referee and coach). Sky Sports only gives updates, no games. Sorry. (But you may be able to subscribe to watch the games on your iPad; I've watched late night Dodgers baseball games on MLB.con).

As a certified baseball addict, I would love nothing more than to catch a game during my free time. However, I gotta go with Bill's way of thinking and hold off until I get back home as long as I can check the scores daily.

Z and TB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk