Currency Exchange

Cruzinram

What is the best method for exchanging dollars when we arrive in Southampton. Is there an atm in the terminal, nearby or will the purser do it. And if so what does the ship charge. We need some tip money for the cab ride to the train station.

I will tag on to this question. I have "old pound sterling" notes that I will have to change. Does anyone know if there is a bank near the West Quay mall in Southampton? Thanks. Katherine

Yes, there are at least a couple of banks on the High Street near one of the exits of West Quay.

What is the best method for exchanging dollars when we arrive in Southampton. Is there an atm in the terminal, nearby or will the purser do it. And if so what does the ship charge. We need some tip money for the cab ride to the train station.

Mayflower and QEII terminals do not have ATMs - I don't know about the other two.

You get a horrible exchange rate onboard. Can you get some pounds from your local bank beforehand?

I will tag on to this question. I have "old pound sterling" notes that I will have to change. Does anyone know if there is a bank near the West Quay mall in Southampton? Thanks. Katherine

There are no exchange facilities at any of the Cruise Terminals.

Unfortunately the UK banks will not change the Old Bank of England £1 notes, They ceased issuing in 1988

They can only be exchanged at The Bank of England in London or by Post. (You may find that you could sell them on ebay for more than they are worth.

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/Pages/about/exchanges.aspx

The old £5 note ceased in May 2017 but may be exchanged at any High Street Bank providing you have an account with that bank, but at their discretion.

There are many Banks in The West Quay shopping Area, in Southampton, Lloyds, HSBC and Barclays are situated in Above Bar , Natwest in The High Street.

All are closed on Sundays but some, not all are open 9-5 Monday thru Saturday. Google for their opening hours as some close on Saturday or have shorter opening hours on this day.

The Post Office will also exchange money.

It is best to use the Banks or Post Office if you use a Currency Exchange Shop, you usually do not get a very good rate.

Edited by Pennbank

... Can you get some pounds from your local bank beforehand?
This is a very sensible suggestion from Scrapnana; rather than worry during the crossing, or have to dash about in a taxi looking for an open bank just after disembarking. Bring a few notes obtained through your own bank at home (small denominations £5, £10 or £20) with you.

Have a great time on board :)

I'm confused. We are sailing and looked at some currency from our last visit to England in 2014 and the 3 £5 notes I have. Are you saying these are no longer useable? Since we aren't British citizens don't have a bank account there so are these notes worthless?

The old paper £5 notes are no longer legal tender.

From the Bank of England website

"Are old Bank of England notes worthless?

No; all Bank of England notes retain their face value for all time. If your local bank, building society or Post Office is not willing to accept these notes then they can be exchanged with the Bank of England in London. For more information on how to exchange Bank of England banknotes that have been withdrawn from circulation see the exchanging banknotes page."

And the BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39792170

The old paper £5 notes are no longer legal tender.

From the Bank of England website

"Are old Bank of England notes worthless?

No; all Bank of England notes retain their face value for all time. If your local bank, building society or Post Office is not willing to accept these notes then they can be exchanged with the Bank of England in London. For more information on how to exchange Bank of England banknotes that have been withdrawn from circulation see the exchanging banknotes page."

And the BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39792170

Thanks. Not that I want to toss £15 but it could have been worse. I have friends in England and maybe they can exchange them for me.

Thanks. Not that I want to toss £15 but it could have been worse. I have friends in England and maybe they can exchange them for me.

That sounds like a good idea, the £10 note will be going the same way so don't get stuck with those either.

Just take you old fivers into any bank and they will exchange them for nice new ones. You don't need an account or anything like that.

If it's was years after they were withdrawn or you had a brief case full of used £5 notes that might be a different story !

For clarity for visitors to the UK; the "old" £5 note(bill) was made of paper, the new/current £5 note is made of plastic (they are different sizes as well). Thus they are easy to tell apart.

As stated above, although no shop etc will normally accept the "old" paper £5, nearly every bank will still exchange them for the moment for a plastic version (there will come a time however when even banks will refer you to the Bank of England for exchange)

Later this year (as Host Hattie says) the £10 paper note will also be replaced with a plastic version (the paper version will still be "legal tender" for some time afterwards).

(The £20 will be replaced in 2020 I understand, but there has been no date announced yet for replacing the £50).

Hope this helps.

Yours,

And to add; whilst the new notes are plastic, they are not plastic like a credit card. So whilst the are plastic, they still look like paper, just shiny paper.

But as others have said, any bank or postoffice will still take them.

And we have new £1 coins as well. The old ones cease to be accepted in October this year. But again, any bank will change them for you after that date.

dd-composite-1-quid1.jpg?strip=all&w=750&quality=100

So is it possible to take a taxi from the port to Southampton Central without using any British currency? Do the taxis take credit cards?
Some will, some won't. You could check before entering the taxi/cab of course.

They will almost certainly be using "chip and PIN" exclusively (rather than signature).

In my experience of using taxis/cabs in the UK, cash is usually preferred. And tips esp so...

Yours,

I will be cruising TA in June 2018. Will still have a few 10 pound notes and 1 and 2 pound coins. Will I be able to use them? Do you have any idea when the new notes will be available in the US?

Thanks,

Pat.

If the 10 pound notes are Brown in colour no problem at all, and the 2 pounds coins are still used spend and enjoy.;p

No date has been set for the withdrawal of the current £10 note, the Bank of England website currently says Spring 2018 and that 3 months notice will be given.

If it's before your visit you will need to exchange them as described above.

I have found. The store of Marks and Spencer give a better exchange rate than the banks.:halo:

So is it possible to take a taxi from the port to Southampton Central without using any British currency? Do the taxis take credit cards?

There is an ATM , just a few yards away from Southampton central station ( I've used it my self) . The Southampton cab drivers (being Brits ;)) are quite pleasant and accommodating and will often make a short detour to the ATM if you ask them.