Cabana Club Question, Nieuw Amsterdam

BTwurddle

Hi everyone, as always we've found ourselves with an odd dilemma. We are taking our niece and a friend on sailing onboard Nieuw Amsterdam next March while they are on break from college. We just reserved our cabins today and as soon as I got our booking numbers called ships services to ask about reserving a family cabana in the cabana club. Unfortunately BOTH of the family cabanas are reserved for our sailing and as they are only on break for one week, choosing another sailing isn't an option. My question is this, there will be four of us sailing together in adjoining cabins, my partner and I, our niece and her best friend...is there a limit to how many guests are welcome in the cabana club per each cabana that is reserved? Most likely we would never all four utilize it at the same time because of difference schedules as well as knowing four would be a crowd in such a small space, but would four be permitted access to come and go? I thought it would be a nice place to for us to have access to but not if it causes any problem for the staff or other guests. Please no disrespectful replies. I'm not seeking to get something for nothing and as the only three cabanas available are spread out along the starboard, port and aft facing sides booking two would still leave us separated if we happened in the space at the same time. Thank you in advance for any replies, hope someone can help or advise! Happy cruising everyone!

We have used it with 3 people on NA. It might have been about 30 minutes at a time that we were all there. Most of the time it was just 2 of us. We were quiet, didn't take up the sun loungers and didn't need food or beverage service from the stewards. I guess having more than 2 people could get out of control and it's possible that the behaviour of a few might have ruined it for others.

I'm surprised that they know which specific cabanas are still available. On all of our previous sailings, we never know which cabana we had until we were on the ship. We requested some specific cabanas but never knew what we getting ahead of time.

My advice would be to rent two cabanas unless you plan to only have two people in the retreat at a time. Then, get the email address for the ship's coordinator and request that you get cabanas next to one another. None of the cabanas are far apart, so even if you weren't next to one another, you will be close. If there are four people using a single cabana on a regular basis, there's a good chance that a supervisor will tell you that it's a two person limit.

I agree with Lizzie68 and POA1. I would definitely rent two. That way if you all want to be in the retreat at the same time there are no occupancy violations. The retreat area is so intimate I would not be concerned with side by side cabanas either. If you are able to get side by sides fine, but if not don't let that prevent you from getting cabanas. They are wonderful!

My parents rented the family retreat cabana. After reading the above posts, am I to understand that we (my DH and myself) would not be able to use the cabana, only my parents would because they booked it?

We purposely decided on the Family cabana because it held 4 people. Please would someone clarify this for me as I'm the one the most wants to use it. My mom booked it at the time she made our advance dinner reservations, never thinking that we wouldn't all be able to use the cabana at the same time......eek

My parents rented the family retreat cabana. After reading the above posts, am I to understand that we (my DH and myself) would not be able to use the cabana, only my parents would because they booked it?

We purposely decided on the Family cabana because it held 4 people. Please would someone clarify this for me as I'm the one the most wants to use it. My mom booked it at the time she made our advance dinner reservations, never thinking that we wouldn't all be able to use the cabana at the same time......eek

Of course you'd be able to use it. The Family Retreat Cabana will be perfect for the 4 of you.

Have a wonderful cruise.

2015-03-04-12.57.19-HDR.jpg

My wife and I have sailed on the Nieuw Amsterdam 3 times. On all three sailings we rented a cabana on the upper deck.

Our first cabana was for two and was rented for the entire cruise. It was very pleasant but since we were crossing the Atlantic it became an "iffy" as far as weather was concerned. We have since rented a "family cabana" for our trip through the Panama Canal. I have now rented the same cabana for another Panama Canal Cruise in April. I found that renting the cabana for the entire cruise was cheaper than trying to rent it by the day. Also if you have more than 2 people, I would highly recommend the family unit as they are on the two corners and have a lot more space for people lounging or sitting at the table. The stewards are very attentive and since we have never had a large number of occupants near us, their service was more than normal. I rented my cabana through the Special Services group in Seattle but you have to put your reservation in early if you want a cabana for the entire cruise. I would not recommend the cabanas in weather you can't sit outside and enjoy the scenery. In traversing the Canal, it is a great place to watch the "locks",enjoy Champagne ,and and still have great service which includes ordering from the "Lido" or grill. We even started a puzzle and the "boys" would cover it up ever night in case of foul weather. If any one has questions I can answer I would be glad to try and answer them.

That looks enclosed. Is it?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It's got a glass wall on one side, the side facing the ocean. There's a railing along the back, facing the pool area. (You're two decks above the Lido pool.) The side opposite the glass "wall" is a fabric divider which separates you from the cabana next door. It's open to the main retreat area. I wouldn't call it enclosed, unless your goal was falling into the ocean or onto the pool deck below. :)

It's got a glass wall on one side, the side facing the ocean. There's a railing along the back, facing the pool area. (You're two decks above the Lido pool.) The side opposite the glass "wall" is a fabric divider which separates you from the cabana next door. It's open to the main retreat area. I wouldn't call it enclosed, unless your goal was falling into the ocean or onto the pool deck below. :)

Great, thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums