Are gratuities on the ultimate beverage package included if the UBP was free?

Fastdak25

Yes, you get charged. For 2 people I was charged $199. I won't drink enough to make use of package, but this fee is cheaper than if I have 2 drinks a day plus gratuity. Figure 2x$10(+18%)=$165.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, you pay 18% on the declared value of the package if you were to buy it on your own. When they say "free" they don't mean free - unless you are are in the most expensive room categories.

And by "beverage," they mean "alcoholic beverages." Bottled water, specialty coffee, energy drinks, and cans of soda are not considered "beverages" under the package terms and conditions. I think that it would have been called the NBA* package, but the basketball people objected.

* - Nothin' but alcohol. ;)

Yes, you pay 18% on the declared value of the package if you were to buy it on your own. When they say "free" they don't mean free - unless you are are in the most expensive room categories.

And by "beverage," they mean "alcoholic beverages." Bottled water, specialty coffee, energy drinks, and cans of soda are not considered "beverages" under the package terms and conditions. I think that it would have been called the NBA* package, but the basketball people objected.

* - Nothin' but alcohol. ;)

The package includes soda and other non alcoholic beverages. Just not soda in a can, bottled water, and specialty coffee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On NCL, "ultimate" doesn't mean the best possible. It means the best that they offer. It doesn't matter what we think should be included or what the drink price limit should be. If someone wants a specialty coffee, they have to pay for it. I won't even get into the whole "Pepsi vs Coke" thing.;)

It's simple. Take it or leave it. Even when guest #1 drinks and guest #2 doesn't, it's still optional. It's either a better deal to pay the 18% for both or to pay for drinks a la carte.

I chose the UBL to be included with my stateroom (out of the 5 options or so you had) when I booked. Will gratuity still be included (read if purchased separately it does include 18% gratuities). Thanks.

You say you "chose", and I assume it's your August 12 sailing. So you should see a line item for the 18% gratuities you already paid on your invoice. It should be something close to $94.50 (for each package) and called "Prepaid Service Charge" if bought via NCL.com.

You say you "chose", and I assume it's your August 12 sailing. So you should see a line item for the 18% gratuities you already paid on your invoice. It should be something close to $94.50 (for each package) and called "Prepaid Service Charge" if bought via NCL.com.

looked and there it is, didn't notice it back when i ordered. And above someone mentioned doesn't include alcohol, but this package i got did, i confirmed it with the lady on the phone as I was booking the cruise.

Even suites are now charged the 18% on the UBP... :mad:

I agree this is not something we are happy about. they way NCL went about it, (quietly, overnight) without advance notice has left a" bad taste" for many of loyal NCL cruisers. I was hoping many would call and complain but, I think most really don't care. We think this should be removed for Suites and be returned to previous policy. :evilsmile:

I agree this is not something we are happy about. they way NCL went about it, (quietly, overnight) without advance notice has left a" bad taste" for many of loyal NCL cruisers. I was hoping many would call and complain but, I think most really don't care. We think this should be removed for Suites and be returned to previous policy. :evilsmile:

If you mean Haven as part of suites then that is something that changed recently. I have the included UBP for me and DW yet all of our taxes and DSC match the other 3 people in our cabin who have no packages.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

If you mean Haven as part of suites then that is something that changed recently. I have the included UBP for me and DW yet all of our taxes and DSC match the other 3 people in our cabin who have no packages.

Suite bookings before the change don't pay the 18%. People who booked after the change are charged the 18% IF they choose the UBP or SDP. It isn't "all promos for suites" unless the suite guest picks all promos.

I chose the UBL to be included with my stateroom (out of the 5 options or so you had) when I booked. Will gratuity still be included (read if purchased separately it does include 18% gratuities). Thanks.

It depends on when you booked. If you had to pay the SC, it was included with your final payment.

You do know that I specifically said that soda in cans was excluded, right?

Please. And I mean pretty please. Stop posting things that agree with my original post.

If you have the capacity to scroll up, please find my original post in this thread. If you have an issue with it, please feel free to respond.

I'm pretty sure you need to get away from your browser more often...

But since you said "pretty please"... In addition to your "Nothin' but alcohol" & "soda in cans was excluded" comments, NCL states:

"unlimited fountain pop and juice"

That's not usually included without a package... You want a cola with your meal and don't have a package - "room key, please".

With the UBP - "would you like ice with your cola?"...

I'm pretty sure you need to get away from your browser more often...

But since you said "pretty please"... In addition to your "Nothin' but alcohol" & "soda in cans was excluded" comments, NCL states:

"unlimited fountain pop and juice"

That's not usually included without a package... You want a cola with your meal and don't have a package - "room key, please".

With the UBP - "would you like ice with your cola?"...

Thanks precious! I *do* need to get away. Your concern for my well-being is most gracious and welcome.

Liquids that are not "Ultimate Beverage" things are:

- Canned sodas

- Bottled water

- Cappuccino

- Espresso

- Energy drinks (such as, but not limited to, Red Bull and such)

- Latte

This is correct? (Please don't tell me that ice is free.)

It depends on when you booked. If you had to pay the SC, it was included with your final payment.

I have to pay daily service charge for all 5 of us but it is equal amounts for all of us and I pre-paid that. So that change must have been recently as I just pre-paid that a few months ago.

looked and there it is, didn't notice it back when i ordered. And above someone mentioned doesn't include alcohol, but this package i got did, i confirmed it with the lady on the phone as I was booking the cruise.

Unfortunately your thread has been hijacked by things irrelevant to your question and may have confused you. Here are the complete terms of the UBP:

https://www.ncl.com/terms/ultimate-beverage-package

I just booked only my 2nd cruise with NCL, and my first was 18 years ago.... so I'm learning all over again. I opted for Specialty Dining and Internet Packages, but then decided to swap Internet for UBP. After calling and learning of the 18%, I stayed with (slow) internet package. My wife and I aren't big drinkers, so generally get by with tea, coffee, and water. Will only have an occasional beer or wine. So are we best off just staying a la carte for beverages?

My wife and I aren't big drinkers, so generally get by with tea, coffee, and water. Will only have an occasional beer or wine. So are we best off just staying a la carte for beverages?

The UBP promo works out to $14.22 per person per day.

If having more than one drink per day, you'd probably save by getting the UBP promo.

If you drink less, skip the promo and go a la carte.

Yep, just got off the Escape with a Haven Cabin 3 weeks ago and booked a Alaska Bliss Haven next year. Did not pay the 18% UBP on the Escape but did have to complete the booking of the Bliss. NCL is really getting sneaky, but look at their stock price zoom up.

Promotions change. Terms of promotions change. When you book, read the Terms and Conditions of the CURRENT promotion. Don't ASSume everything will stay the same. NCL isn't here to be our bestest buddy. As Michael Corleone said "it's not personal, it's strictly business".

;)

Caveat Emptor.

I just booked only my 2nd cruise with NCL, and my first was 18 years ago.... so I'm learning all over again. I opted for Specialty Dining and Internet Packages, but then decided to swap Internet for UBP. After calling and learning of the 18%, I stayed with (slow) internet package. My wife and I aren't big drinkers, so generally get by with tea, coffee, and water. Will only have an occasional beer or wine. So are we best off just staying a la carte for beverages?

This is one that you have to do the math on. The service charge on the UBP for a week is approximately $100 per person. If you are ging to drink enough to get to $100 per person in bar bills then it is a wash. You need to find a bar menu to look at prices for the things you like. Generally if you each have a couple of drinks a day it is better to have the package.