Wonder why Regent never posts which officers are scheduled to be on board?

UUNetBill

I've seen numerous posts asking who's scheduled to be on board specific itineraries (ship's officers, that is). I wonder why Regent can't post who's on which schedule - I know things are subject to change, especially if you're projecting out more than a few months, but it would be a nice thing to list who's scheduled on which ships. At least the captain, cruise director, F&B manager, hotel director, etc...

Anyone know any reason why that's not posted? Is it a privacy thing, maybe? Or just too much extra work keeping it current? Thoughts?

It used to list the officers in the Regent Times? magazine that appeared every 3/12.

I think it was mentioned here that they were reluctant to confirm the rotas due to leave dates booked by the officers and the chance of amendments. Jean.

Bill, things do change a lot in terms of which officers are where. I have known Franck Galzy since before he became G.M. His schedule is all over the place. He may be on the Explorer for a week or two - then do a quick fill in on another ship and return to Explorer (while someone else fills in for him on Explorer) or even take over on a third ship. Sometimes he stays on a ship longer than scheduled for various reasons.

I find the amount of interest in who the officers surprising. While we do not book cruises based on the officers and/or crew, it sure is exciting when we learn that someone that we haven't seen in a long time will be onboard (in our case, it is Paul Reynolds that we haven't seen since he took a 2+ year break from Regent and will see him in 30 days!). OTOH, sometimes meeting officers that you haven't met previously can be a great experience. With all of our cruises, we had not had Michael Coghlin as G.M. (he has been with Regent for years). We met him in March on Explorer and are thrilled that he will also be on the Mariner when we board. While we initially weren't too excited about our Alaska cruise, we now cannot wait to board!

IMO, it is better not to give information than to give incorrect information. One thing Regent could do (maybe) is include the officer names on your final documents with an asterisk indicating that things can change at the last minute.

Bill, I'm excited to learn who the officers will be on your Explorer cruise because I'm hoping that you will take 2 minutes out of your vacation to send them our very best regards!

I hope the new Regent website, coming soon, will have this sort of useful information

Do you really find this "useful"? I find it interesting but it doesn't make a difference in our plans. As mentioned, Regent will likely not have this on their new website (unless it is within a month or so of the cruise) since the information may not be correct. I'd rather have accurate and on-time excursions than know who the officers will be.

I agree, I don't think it is useful, nor do I think it is interesting, but I am always happy just to know.

For instance, we love Dominique on Oceania and are always happy to see his smiling face! We just love him.

I agree that I wouldn't book or not book a cruise based on the officers on board (especially considering how fluid their schedules can be) but you can't deny that it's often a lively source of discussion on the boards.

I never really gave much thought to the officers or crew on board until about our fifth cruise when we started seeing some familiar faces popping up. Now it's just kind of nice to know who's going to be on board, even if it's only a month or so out. We've had some captains we liked more than others, and the CDs can help a cruise be a bit more enjoyable at times...although we have yet to sail with a CD we didn't enjoy!

So I file that under 'interesting tidbit but not critical' - and I sure won't hold my breath waiting to see anything posted on the website. I was mostly curious to know if anyone knew why it's not posted. I think at least one other line posts their officers online, don't they?

If it is not "useful" (definition: serving some purpose) or "interesting" why do guests enquire?

I agree that this information is not influential in deciding between cruises but IMO it is nice to know, even if only a few weeks before embarkation.

If it is not "useful" (definition: serving some purpose) or "interesting" why do guests enquire?

I agree that this information is not influential in deciding between cruises but IMO it is nice to know, even if only a few weeks before embarkation.

I guess that our definitions differ. Our Webster's dictionary defines useful as:

Definition of useful

• 1: capable of being put to use; especially : serviceable for an end or purpose usefultools
  • 2: of a valuable or productive kind do something useful with your life

OTOH, it interesting to us because of the relationships that we have formed onboard with many officers and crew members. Still think that including this information with our Final Documents would be nice.

So I file that under 'interesting tidbit but not critical' - and I sure won't hold my breath waiting to see anything posted on the website. I was mostly curious to know if anyone knew why it's not posted. I think at least one other line posts their officers online, don't they?

P & O post their Captains and senior roles online ;)