How Many Kids on a Spring Break Cruise?

LBeeE

This comment is just so off base and utterly offensive to parents who choose to travel during Spring break.

Our Son was born in 1977, our Daughter in 1983. We took them on their first cruise in 1992 on Cunard, Celebrity in 1994, then HAL, NCL, and RCCL at varying times thru the year, been there experienced it. So my comments have nothing to do with being older and not wanting to have younger passengers sharing the ship.

There are a number of threads thru the year's about 'spring break', most say this was a very different type Cruise from the Celebrity normal.

Yes we all create our own experience, but this 2-3 weeks of the yr are very different, just as the beaches of the Gulf are.

Many cruise lines set up sales tables in the student union and do special spring break packages.

To the OP, RCCL would be a better choice simply because they are more set up to provide a wonderful experience for their younger guest.

This is just before the Reflection gets ready to head back to the Med in April. It is our favorite S-class ship.

Edited by wallie5446

I was on Connie the week after a Spring Break cruise. Staff told me that One group of "students" threw chairs into the pool and damaged others. Two were asked to leave the ship at the next port. I was on another where the students were very polite, even opening and holding doors. I would see a small group in the morning who would always say "hello". I was on a Princess cruise the week after Christmas cruise. The computer center was closed because some young people trashed the room and destroyed computers. I was told that they were forced to pay for the damage. My point is that not all young people are the same and I really can't generalize about behavior. I know that alcohol can be a problem and the staff should take responsibility to stop providing drinks when they see a potential problem. This applies to anyone of any age! I'm certain that all or most frequent cruisers can cite stories of adults behaving badly.

As mentioned, the March break and shorter cruises are different from the typical Celebrity experience. We were surprised as how different the demographics were and how many behaved. We called one a 'booze cruise'. I would check if there are any large groups on board and what types of groups. We were on a cruise when there were 800 cruisers from a particular club and that can make a difference. Just do your homework. Years ago, I had called main reservations and they gave me the demographics in comparing two sailings. That really helped making out decision.

Also, with an 11 and 13 year old, I would take a closer look at RCCL and even Disney.

Also, with an 11 and 13 year old, I would take a closer look at RCCL and even Disney.

I am not so sure about Disney. Our son is 11 and he had been on a Disney cruise when he was around 8, and Celebrity cruise back in April this year. We asked him if he rather to go a Disney cruise or Celebrity cruise, he said Celebrity cruise 10 out of 10. :D But he is not really into Disney stuff since he stopped watched Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.

I think he will like RCCL though. My son said there were about 15 kids in his age group in the kids club on Celebrity cruise during spring break this year at the Caribbean.

I'd say about 2/3 of the passengers will be under 18.

On a 10 day cruise you think 2/3 will be under 18?

Where are you getting your info from?

IMO the OP should call Celebrity & ask them approx. how many kids would be on their cruise..I know HAL was able to tell lots of Psgrs the number of kids on a particular cruise.. Perhaps Celebrity would do the same..:cool:

We are looking at taking our kids on their 1st cruise next March over spring break, the 10-day on Reflection, (they will be 11 & 13 at sailing). We were thinking there may be more kids than usual being spring break (a plus for us), but since it's a 10-day, maybe not. We didn't love the itinerary as much on the 7-day, so we prefer the 10-day. But we also don't want them to be the only kids their age onboard. Thoughts please?!

How can anyone predict how many kids will be on a cruise.

We are looking at taking our kids on their 1st cruise next March over spring break, the 10-day on Reflection, (they will be 11 & 13 at sailing). We were thinking there may be more kids than usual being spring break (a plus for us), but since it's a 10-day, maybe not. We didn't love the itinerary as much on the 7-day, so we prefer the 10-day. But we also don't want them to be the only kids their age onboard. Thoughts please?!

On both Celebrity and HAL in the past, our travel agent has been able to confirm with the cruise lines the number of kids already booked on a particular cruise we were considering. Just call and ask. Our kids are now 11 and 13 and our experience has been that the kids club programs through about ages 10-11 are generally pretty good on the ships we've been on but that the tweens and teens may not be interested in these structured club activities and instead might find each other at ping pong tables, basketball courts, etc. and the teen club is often empty.

I hope Celebrity can provide the number of kids booked so far for your sailing. And maybe you can also find some old daily programs for that cruise online so that you can get a feel for the type of programming/entertainment offered and consider whether your family would enjoy the offerings. If you find out that there will be few kids on board but love the itinerary and decide to go for it, you will probably still have a wonderful time together as a family.

I hope you have a fabulous vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As to allergy issues Celebrity was fantastic regarding my tree nut allergy. However, Royal was just as good. Every night I got the next night's dinner menu and they took my order. If there was something they were unsure of they told me I couldn't order it. The chef even made me my own dessert on Anthem. Celebrity's head chef said they have a special section to prepare allergy menus.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Take these perspectives with a grain of salt.. there are always those who bash ppl who bring their children.. ppl who books suites.. people who get something they weren't supposed too.. blah blah the list goes on.. bottom line is your going to have a great vacation.. I have been cruising since I was 13.. and am now in my 30's..I m sure there are many who would say I'm still too young for celebrity..bottom line only you will know what your family needs and will work for them.

In regards to the allergies. I can attest to the attentiveness regarding this.. just make sure they note it on the reservation.