How Many Kids on a Spring Break Cruise?

LBeeE

We are looking at taking our kids on their 1st cruise next March over spring break, the 10-day on Reflection, (they will be 11 & 13 at sailing). We were thinking there may be more kids than usual being spring break (a plus for us), but since it's a 10-day, maybe not. We didn't love the itinerary as much on the 7-day, so we prefer the 10-day. But we also don't want them to be the only kids their age onboard. Thoughts please?!

We took our kids over Spring Break a few times when they were in high school but our Spring Breaks were always during Easter. With that being said, there were maybe 100 kids on the 7 day cruise. Not sure how many on a 10 day and since it isn't during Easter I'm not sure how many kids will be on board. My kids did love it though!! They met a couple of friends early in the cruise and spent the week with them.

Took a 5 day March cruise on Connie and had over 700 college kids onboard, all from two local colleges in Florida. Animal House to say the least! Should not be that bad on a 10 day. Despite Spring Break, I am of the opinion that there will be fewer kids on a 10 day than on a 7 day for the simple fact that kids cost $$ and the more days, the more $$. Other than our Connie experience, we have always seen some kids onboard of all ages at those times but not nearly as many as some other lines.

In March, you will have more college students as that is the time of college breaks. However, with cruises over 7 days, there will be fewer children on board. If you want others their age, you would be better to consider Royal Caribbean.

Unlike some countries where the school system is nationalized, not every system in the US has the same Spring Break. Pretty much mid-Feb through Easter week is considered "Rolling Spring Break" in the travel industry. So anything in that time period is likely to have a higher percentage of kids on it. (Of course given that some people homeschool and others think nothing of taking their kids out of school...)

Thank you all!!

@ Keesar - My husband & I have been on RC, Carnival and Celebrity. We've never taken our kids. Our daughter has severe food allergies. We've asked on every cruise about allergy policies, and by that I mean we've cornered the head of dining and grilled them with a million specific questions, trying to find the best line with the best policies for the safety of our daughter. Let me just say Celebrity is the only line that has made me feel comfortable. RC had no clue about allergies at all. Carnival was much better, but the food was like Denny's. Yuck. So if we are to take our daughter on a cruise, it will have to be Celebrity. They are the only line that was 100% together and 100% well versed and every dining staff member knew the policies backward and forward.

Sometimes I think I'm 18, but my body says 70+.

General rule: Longer the cruise=fewer kids.

College Spring Break: The shorter the cruise; the more drinking and partying.

Easter & Christmas= More "Pirates" running around the ship.

Trans Atlantics: Beware of scooters, wheelchairs and walkers.

We travel on school vacation week in the Northeast which is generally President's week in February, (the week falling on the 3rd Monday). Actually, very few children on Celebrity. Key is getting an itinerary which is port intensive. Most young teens have told me that they are "bored" as "nothing to do" on the ship. In the Northeast, colleges and private schools are off in March but not the public schools. That is again in mid-April

Thank you all!!

@ Keesar - My husband & I have been on RC, Carnival and Celebrity. We've never taken our kids. Our daughter has severe food allergies. We've asked on every cruise about allergy policies, and by that I mean we've cornered the head of dining and grilled them with a million specific questions, trying to find the best line with the best policies for the safety of our daughter. Let me just say Celebrity is the only line that has made me feel comfortable. RC had no clue about allergies at all. Carnival was much better, but the food was like Denny's. Yuck. So if we are to take our daughter on a cruise, it will have to be Celebrity. They are the only line that was 100% together and 100% well versed and every dining staff member knew the policies backward and forward.

I haven't been on Celebrity yet, but I also have some food allergies and I have never had one issue with Disney. Just as another option for you.

Took a 5 day March cruise on Connie and had over 700 college kids onboard, all from two local colleges in Florida. Animal House to say the least! Should not be that bad on a 10 day. Despite Spring Break, I am of the opinion that there will be fewer kids on a 10 day than on a 7 day for the simple fact that kids cost $$ and the more days, the more $$. Other than our Connie experience, we have always seen some kids onboard of all ages at those times but not nearly as many as some other lines.

What year did we take that cruise?:eek:......I will never forget it......never taken a short cruise in March since that one:rolleyes:

We got SO unlucky with those ------ I don't want to use a word that would get me banned but it was the worst cruise

I have ever taken on X.......I know there are some folks who had no issues but I was not one of them. After all these

years I guess you can always get 1 with really funky/out of control passengers.

I would think a 10 night cruise (even in March) would not have nearly as many college kids......but then again, you

never know.

We cruise each March 10 or 14 day....not many children. IMO not a line for them...Disney, RCL better facilities. Not fair to have them sit around adults all day which I've seen happen and expect them to 'behave'. Kids program I'm told is good but suits the little ones better. The mid-ages look so bored.

We are looking at taking our kids on their 1st cruise next March over spring break, the 10-day on Reflection, (they will be 11 & 13 at sailing). We were thinking there may be more kids than usual being spring break (a plus for us), but since it's a 10-day, maybe not. We didn't love the itinerary as much on the 7-day, so we prefer the 10-day. But we also don't want them to be the only kids their age onboard. Thoughts please?!

Spring break is when the college kids on a drinking binge take over. A few people will subject their younger kids to this behavior simply because it is the only time the entire family can cruise together.

Dear OP, please be sure you put these posts in perspective. They are coming from adult passengers, traveling without children themselves.

My experience, on Celebrity, while traveling with my children has been:

- there are generally many more children than most passengers are aware of because the kids club schedules activities away from the places that most passengers congregate...so unless someone inquired and was given a number, the numbers quoted are likely way off;

- as long as there is a group of 15 or so that participate in the kids club group for your age child, then they will have more than enough company...after all they generally will not forms groups any larger than that anyway and the ship does not need to be crawling with kids;

- vacations change from school district to school district, so if your kids are off....so will others be off;

- the issue of college kids is ridiculous, unless your kids are also of college age (in which case, I most certainly would not be concerned). Celebrity is probably the least likely cruise line for 20-30 somethings to book, and there are plenty of other choices;

- 7 vs 10 day vacations are not likely to be a determining factor, although most people still employed and more likely to have school age children take 1 week vacations rather (especially Sun - Sun) rather than 10 day vacations.

So....don't worry. Have a great time. Make sure your kids sign up the very first evening for the kids program (when everyone will be there and they will get to meet each other and ice breakers are planned). This is key. Then I have never encountered a kid who had a disappointing vacation.

Spring break is when the college kids on a drinking binge take over. A few people will subject their younger kids to this behavior simply because it is the only time the entire family can cruise together.

This comment is just so off base and utterly offensive to parents who choose to travel during Spring break.