India - Visas

Critique999

We are booked on Celebrity Constellation in December 2017 (we've done about 20 cruises, this is our first with Celebrity) . The ship sails from Abu Dhabi arriving in at Goa on 11th December and then onto Mumbai on 12th and 13th December.

Visas are required for India. An 'e' Visa costs about £60 and a full visa costs about £120 (pluscharges)). Celebrity Cruises have told us that we will need a full Visa. The Indian 'e' Visa support group (in India) and the Mumba Port Trust have told me . . . "an 'e' Visa is valid for inward immigration formalities at Goa and the outward immigration formalities on e-visa would be completed at Mumbai".

If the 2000 passengers on this ship are wrongly (?) told that they need a fullVisa when an 'e' visa will suffice that is an unnecessary cost to us of £120,000.

We have seen many instances of passengers not being allowed on the ship after failing to have a required piece of paper for this or that and we dare not take a chance. But what is irritating me is that I suspect that there is someone employed in'customer care' to ensure that the customers interests are cared for and although I understand that Indian Bureaucracy might be hard work how hard can it be for someone at Celebrity to get it in writing (as I have) that an 'e'visa will suffice and save us all £120,000?

Edited by Critique999

We are booked on Celebrity Constellation in December 2017 (we've done about 20 cruises, this is our first with Celebrity) . The ship sails from Abu Dhabi arriving in at Goa on 11th December and then onto Mumbai on 12th and 13th December.

Visas are required for India. An 'e' Visa costs about £60 and a full visa costs about £120 (pluscharges)). Celebrity Cruises have told us that we will need a full Visa. The Indian 'e' Visa support group (in India) and the Mumba Port Trust have told me . . . "an 'e' Visa is valid for inward immigration formalities at Goa and the outward immigration formalities on e-visa would be completed at Mumbai".

If the 2000 passengers on this ship are wrongly (?) told that they need a fullVisa when an 'e' visa will suffice that is an unnecessary cost to us of £120,000.

We have seen many instances of passengers not being allowed on the ship after failing to have a required piece of paper for this or that and we dare not take a chance. But what is irritating me is that I suspect that there is someone employed in'customer care' to ensure that the customers interests are cared for and although I understand that Indian Bureaucracy might be hard work how hard can it be for someone at Celebrity to get it in writing (as I have) that an 'e'visa will suffice and save us all £120,000?

We were just there. E Visas only work for flying into a few of the airports. You will need a full visa. Real pain in the you know where!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, you do indeed need a full, multi-entry visa. e-visa is no good. If you haven't applied for one before it is a bit onerous, but providing all the details you provide are correct and you follow the instructions they are very efficient and I found the postal system worked well. I got mine back in about a week this March, the fourth time I've done it without using one of the many agencies that will charge you.

Phil

Bureaucracy rules in India! Last time we went you can only ise e visa when you arrive by air. Check on the consulate site and if in doubt ask them to be sure. A lot of people on our Azamara sailing had the wrong visa and werent allowed off the ship. Dont risk it!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Forums mobile app

On that cruise last year. Those with e Visa could not get off the ship expect in one port where they could only take one tour and were charged a premium. There are times to save money, but this is not one of those times.

I have just (this minute) received a reply fro Celebrity ( I wonder if they are reading these posts?)

They say . . .

After a lengthy process I have managed to get the update information for guests that are visiting India on one of our cruise.

If a guest turns up with an e-Visa they will be allowed to board the ship, however the problems start when they want to leave the ship in the Indian ports.

Our immigration team on board the ship commence the visa checks the day before the ship calls into its first Indian port, this will then allow the guests with a visa (not an e-Visa) to disembark the ship as soon as it docks, making the most of their time ashore.

Bureaucracy rules in India! Last time we went you can only ise e visa when you arrive by air. Check on the consulate site and if in doubt ask them to be sure. A lot of people on our Azamara sailing had the wrong visa and werent allowed off the ship. Dont risk it!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Forums mobile app

I loved the Indian people and the cuisine there. The four ports that we visited in 2015 were all interesting.

However, thinking about going back to India to see Northern India and the Taj, I am reminded of what a pain in the butt it was just to get the visa. I had to eventually hire a visa firm because filling out the forms truthfully just didn't work. Finally, I was told the I had to put a hotel in the block for where I was staying to get the visa. Putting in ship in would not work.

Finally, I got the visa, then we encountered the 8 Indian ladies that took their sweet time going through their papers to allow us to go ashore for the first port. After that, is was slow getting off the ship, but not as bad.

I suppose that If I did go back and fly into the country, the visa process would be better, but I know there are all those bureaucrats waiting there for me.

I have just (this minute) received a reply fro Celebrity ( I wonder if they are reading these posts?)

They say . . .

After a lengthy process I have managed to get the update information for guests that are visiting India on one of our cruise.

If a guest turns up with an e-Visa they will be allowed to board the ship, however the problems start when they want to leave the ship in the Indian ports.

Our immigration team on board the ship commence the visa checks the day before the ship calls into its first Indian port, this will then allow the guests with a visa (not an e-Visa) to disembark the ship as soon as it docks, making the most of their time ashore.

This was the procedure on my cruise.Thank goodness the India Visa for US citizens is for 10 years and I now have it if I want to return.

Around the world, visa requirements for arrival/departure by cruise ship are often very different from those for arriving/departing by 'plane. You have to be extremely careful that you are not "advised" on the Internet by people who do not fully understand the situation.

As far as India is concerned, their visa requirements are extremely complex and appear to change frequently. It is the only country for which we have used an agency to help us with a visa application. I do know that on our cruise, there were passengers who were not allowed entry for having the wrong visa. Eventually, an exception was made and they were allowed to board a coach for a short tour but were not allowed off the bus at all. We visited two ports in India and one was an overnight stay. You do not want the wrong visa.

Been There, Done That:

In the US the only way to get the visa is through the Indian Government's contracted company, Cox & Kings Global Services (CKGS).

India's "Visa on Arrival" program (EVisa), similar to many other countries does us no good, as it only applies to travelers arriving by air, at specified airports.

US Citizens can only apply for the 10-year, multiple entry visa. Other options appear on the web site, but are not available to US Citizens. This is due to how the US allows applicants from India to proceed.

If you, a parent or grandparent is of Pakistani origin, or from an area that was formerly Pakistan, the process will be far more complex.

In May of 2014, the Indian government switched to CKGS from a prior contractor. From all accounts the prior contractor was a mess. Then at the time of the switch there was additional confusion and problems.

Now, things seem to be straightened out. Our applications were mailed on Dec 24, 2014, and the passports with visas were received on January 7, 2015. Two weeks total, including mailing time, and that period had two holidays in it.

The state in which you reside determines which of the five CKGS processing centers you will need to use. They correspond to the five Indian consulates in the US. Make sure you send to the correct one.

Despite what some say you cannot "apply on line" You start on line at the CKGS website, where you get several of the forms you need, and from there link to the Indian government website where you complete your actual visa application. However, all forms must be printed and forwarded to CKGS.

The forms require numerous signatures, and specify exactly what information is required. If they ask for a form, it is not optional. A missing form, missing or incorrectly provided information, or missing signatures will cause a delay, while you forward the corrected information. Follow the directions to the letter!

You can pay for the visa ($175.10 total) on the CKGS website, and print out your receipt. It must be included in your packet. You can also mail a money order in with your packet.

Send all your forms, along with the required copies of your passport's picture page, your driver's license or other document proving your address, and your passport itself.

You must include a method for return of your passport. CKGS has a method where you can pay for FedEx return shipping on their site. However it was down when I applied. It's cheaper to enclose your own pre-paid return envelope. Priority mail flat rate envelope is less than $6.00.

If you submit 2 or more applications in one package, submit a separate return envelope for each. We had three in one submission. Inside the large envelope mailed to them, each application packet, including each return envelope, was inside its own package. There are many stories of only one of several passports being returned if there's only one return envelope included.

You can track the progress on the CKGS website. If there's no progress on your applications after 48 hours from when your tracking call CKGS Help Desk at either 516-206-1483 or 646-589-0088. They then seem to be able to manually get the status updated into the system.

Harris

Denver, CO

Sorry, I just noted the OP is in the UK. I know the process there is similar, although my recollection is people form the UK had to go in person to the Indian Consulate, and the Consulates did not use a contractor (like CKGS) in the UK, but you dealt with the embassy or consulate directly. Nonetheless, you do need the full visa.

Harris

Denver, CO

Been There, Done That:

India's "Visa on Arrival" program (EVisa), similar to many other countries does us no good, as it only applies to travellers arriving by air, at specified airports.

Harris

Denver, CO

That's NOT correct. It is correct that not all sea-ports are equipped to facilitate e-visas but some are and Goa is one of them AND once you're in and as long as you don't leave the Indian territorial waters you remain 'in'.

Sorry, I just noted the OP is in the UK. I know the process there is similar, although my recollection is people form the UK had to go in person to the Indian Consulate, and the Consulates did not use a contractor (like CKGS) in the UK, but you dealt with the embassy or consulate directly. Nonetheless, you do need the full visa.

Harris

Denver, CO

No, this is not correct. In the UK we can apply by post directly or use an agent (there are many). We don't need to go in person.

Phil

That's NOT correct. It is correct that not all sea-ports are equipped to facilitate e-visas but some are and Goa is one of them AND once you're in and as long as you don't leave the Indian territorial waters you remain 'in'.

Actually on the ship each port was treated by Indian Immigration authorities as a separate entry. Additionally, the immigration process in our three ports (Mumbai, Goa, and Mangalore) was handled differently (markedly so) in each port.

That being said it seems as if you have all the answers and have made your decision how to proceed. Many people had done this on my cruise. They were the ones who were denied entry to India, and remained on board in the Indian ports.

Best of luck.

Harris

Denver, CO

Actually on the ship each port was treated by Indian Immigration authorities as a separate entry. Additionally, the immigration process in our three ports (Mumbai, Goa, and Mangalore) was handled differently (markedly so) in each port.

That being said it seems as if you have all the answers and have made your decision how to proceed. Many people had done this on my cruise. They were the ones who were denied entry to India, and remained on board in the Indian ports.

Best of luck.

Harris

Denver, CO

You are correct about each port being handled differently. We received a entry and exit card for each port the night prior to arrival. I asked why not simply give one card that would be issued for entry into the first port and returned after the last port. Was told that each port had their own rules. The British invented bureaucracy, the Indians perfected it! People have been warned and they are responsible for their actions.

Visas are required for India. An 'e' Visa costs about £60 and a full visa costs about £120 (pluscharges)). Celebrity Cruises have told us that we will need a full Visa. 0?

Please go to the roll call for this cruise. Endless discussion on visas, plus actually applying. I pasted the official response from Celebrity which is full visa. Port of Mumbai the problem, possibly due to terrorist attack a few years ago.

You are correct about each port being handled differently. We received a entry and exit card for each port the night prior to arrival. I asked why not simply give one card that would be issued for entry into the first port and returned after the last port. Was told that each port had their own rules. The British invented bureaucracy, the Indians perfected it! People have been warned and they are responsible for their actions.

And the authorities like to check those landing cards. At least three times before you get out of the port gates!

Phil

No, this is not correct. In the UK we can apply by post directly or use an agent (there are many). We don't need to go in person.

Phil

Phil, Whilst technically you are correct, having received our visa by courier today, I wouldn't advise posting an application. It is such a fraught and complicated procedure that it is worth the effort to go to one of the Visa centres. See below info from VFS FAQ.

"Can I send my application directly to the High Commission of India or its respective consulate in Birmingham or Edinburgh? Where does it go if I have done so?

No. The High Commission of India or its consulates doesn’t accept any application in post. All the Visa/Passport/Select Consular and Surrender of Indian services are outsourced to VFS. All Postal application (Visa Only) must be sent to our Hounslow Application Centre ONLY. Applications sent to any other office will be returned without processing. VFS will not be responsible for any loss of documents sent to any other office. The processing time for postal applications will be minimum 2 weeks (15 days) from the date of receipt of complete application. This excludes the processing time of the application at the Mission. It is further clarified that incomplete/incorrect applications would be returned. To avoid any inconvenience, it is strongly advised to submit applications with prior online appointment in person or through authrised nominee."

I actually wondered, having been through it, why anyone would want to go to India!!!!!!

According to VisaCentral, the company that Celebrity uses, you can now visit India with an eVisa through 3 seaports. (According to publications in India, the number of seaports has recently been increased to 5.)

Depending on how many ports in India that you visit, it may be worthwhile to explore the eVisa requirements further. I believe that the new eVisa allows only for "dual entry", which won't help us on our January cruise, since we stop at 3 ports in India.

We ran into a similar problem last year with what type of visa was required for our cruise which ended in Shanghai. Celebrity kept telling people that we all needed regular Chinese visas, while the newer regulations at that time allowed for Visas On Arrival for those of us remaining in the Shanghai area for less than 5 days. Several of us were in contact with the Captain's Club, who eventually checked and agreed that we only needed VOAs. Those of us on Cruise Critic had no problem with the VOAs, while most people on the cruise just got the expensive regular visas.

https://visacentral.com/india-evisa

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/Foreigners-can-enter-India-through-five-ports-on-e-visa/article16738695.ece

It's not simply a matter of paying £120 rather than £60, getting the full visa is much more difficult including either driving to a Consulate and sitting in queues or paying an agency. And, whilst it would be an extra £60 x 2(plus expenses) for us that will be £60 x 2,000 (£120,000) for all passengers on the ship. If Celebrity (or any other cruise line) is reading this they would increase their bookings if their 'customer cervices' were a more adept at tackling these issues rather than putting them in the 'too hard to do' tray.

It's not simply a matter of paying £120 rather than £60, getting the full visa is much more difficult including either driving to a Consulate and sitting in queues or paying an agency. And, whilst it would be an extra £60 x 2(plus expenses) for us that will be £60 x 2,000 (£120,000) for all passengers on the ship. If Celebrity (or any other cruise line) is reading this they would increase their bookings if their 'customer cervices' were a more adept at tackling these issues rather than putting them in the 'too hard to do' tray.

See my post above. You can do it by post yourself without the need for an agency. Go to the VFS website for details. I've done it that way four times without a problem.

Phil

I strongly advise you to visit any of the December 2017 Connie roll calls where this matter has been dealt with.

I'm not reposting here what has already been said on those boards, however it has to be said that any cruise which includes Mumbai as a port call requires a full Tourist Visa or whatever length you can obtain in your country, be it UK, USA or Finland etc. There are historic reasons for this which makes the requirement unlikely to change any time soon.

Put simply, that is the requirement - comply or you won't be getting off in Mumbai, or worse still you will be denied boarding at Abu Dhabi/Singapore. Your choice.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Forums mobile app

Been There, Done That:

In the US the only way to get the visa is through the Indian Government's contracted company, Cox & Kings Global Services (CKGS).

India's "Visa on Arrival" program (EVisa), similar to many other countries does us no good, as it only applies to travelers arriving by air, at specified airports.

US Citizens can only apply for the 10-year, multiple entry visa. Other options appear on the web site, but are not available to US Citizens. This is due to how the US allows applicants from India to proceed.

If you, a parent or grandparent is of Pakistani origin, or from an area that was formerly Pakistan, the process will be far more complex.

In May of 2014, the Indian government switched to CKGS from a prior contractor. From all accounts the prior contractor was a mess. Then at the time of the switch there was additional confusion and problems.

Now, things seem to be straightened out. Our applications were mailed on Dec 24, 2014, and the passports with visas were received on January 7, 2015. Two weeks total, including mailing time, and that period had two holidays in it.

The state in which you reside determines which of the five CKGS processing centers you will need to use. They correspond to the five Indian consulates in the US. Make sure you send to the correct one.

Despite what some say you cannot "apply on line" You start on line at the CKGS website, where you get several of the forms you need, and from there link to the Indian government website where you complete your actual visa application. However, all forms must be printed and forwarded to CKGS.

The forms require numerous signatures, and specify exactly what information is required. If they ask for a form, it is not optional. A missing form, missing or incorrectly provided information, or missing signatures will cause a delay, while you forward the corrected information. Follow the directions to the letter!

You can pay for the visa ($175.10 total) on the CKGS website, and print out your receipt. It must be included in your packet. You can also mail a money order in with your packet.

Send all your forms, along with the required copies of your passport's picture page, your driver's license or other document proving your address, and your passport itself.

You must include a method for return of your passport. CKGS has a method where you can pay for FedEx return shipping on their site. However it was down when I applied. It's cheaper to enclose your own pre-paid return envelope. Priority mail flat rate envelope is less than $6.00.

If you submit 2 or more applications in one package, submit a separate return envelope for each. We had three in one submission. Inside the large envelope mailed to them, each application packet, including each return envelope, was inside its own package. There are many stories of only one of several passports being returned if there's only one return envelope included.

You can track the progress on the CKGS website. If there's no progress on your applications after 48 hours from when your tracking call CKGS Help Desk at either 516-206-1483 or 646-589-0088. They then seem to be able to manually get the status updated into the system.

Harris

Denver, CO

THANK YOU! I just printed out your message.

PS we lived in Evergreen years back