Sail away party when departing Genoa, why?

sverigecruiser

Yes, SC - Genoa is viewed as THE homeport - an HQ, if you like. The ships are stocked there and any changes to menus, drinks prices, etc generally start from the day the ships are in Genoa. We were very impacted by this on our cruise. We embarked in Barcelona. The ship was still in inaugural mode 'til we got to Genoa 2 days later. It caused me so many problems trying to get definitive answers to questions for my 'Live' report as a lot of things changed after Genoa. For example, food in the Brass Anchor had been included in premium packages for our first 2 days. That benefit was removed once we got to Genoa.

We are embarked in Marseille and all the Information about the Ship and the Staff were on the Interactive TV. So you can show all the Infos and Fotos about the Staff.

Its really that Genova is the Mainport in this Itinary and all the MSC Ships in the Med.

We are embarked in Marseille and all the Information about the Ship and the Staff were on the Interactive TV. So you can show all the Infos and Fotos about the Staff.

Its really that Genova is the Mainport in this Itinary and all the MSC Ships in the Med.

So they had the information on the TV. Maybe they should have given us that information!

I don't think that they should have a mainport when they let people embark in every port. (Of course I understand that they need to have a mainport but it shall not affect the passengers.)

The Swedish MSC brochure only mention Barcelona as possible port for embarkation.

The TV was on when we were entering the cabin, so you see all the different channels with all the Information you need. Alternativly you can ask your Butler or at the Conciergerie.

The Mainport is about the Logistics and the biggest Part of the Pax are embarking in Genova, so its the most important Port on this itenary. The biggest Part of the Pax are from Italy and are embarking there. In Barcelona is also a great Pax Change but not like Genova.

When you want Informations you have to ask and speak with the Crew, thats my Experience during Cruises.

The TV was on when we were entering the cabin, so you see all the different channels with all the Information you need. Alternativly you can ask your Butler or at the Conciergerie.

The Mainport is about the Logistics and the biggest Part of the Pax are embarking in Genova, so its the most important Port on this itenary. The biggest Part of the Pax are from Italy and are embarking there. In Barcelona is also a great Pax Change but not like Genova.

When you want Informations you have to ask and speak with the Crew, thats my Experience during Cruises.

On NCL it's not necessary to ask anyone to get information, it's provided anyway. Since we have cruised before we understood that they had lots of information they didn't gave us so we asked and got information. If it had been our first cruise we would probably have missed lots of information because we shouldn't know what to ask for.

The Meraviglia is hugh and a map is a good thing to have. On NCL we have always been given a map so when we didn't got one we asked our butler about it and he gave us a map. If it had been our first cruise we had probably not asked about a map.

It was not a problem but it was annoying that they gave us so little information.

As I said I understand that they need a mainport for the logistics but I don't think that it shall affect the passengers when they let people embark in every port.

I don't care about a sail away party but some like it so why shall some get it their last day (if they disembark in Naples) and other get it their first day onboard?

Maps from the Ship are on all Screens over the Ship, that you can t really miss. Also in the MSC for me App there is the Ships Map. I think there aren t some printed Maps.

And you have to speak with the Staff if you have questions or problems.

Thats so when you are in a Cruise with a lot Ports of Pax changing, also with other Companies. There is always one Port more important than the others. Its not like in the Caribbian with one Port of Pax changing.

MSC is not NCL, its not a american Cruise Line and in Europe same Things are really different.

Maps from the Ship are on all Screens over the Ship, that you can t really miss. Also in the MSC for me App there is the Ships Map. I think there aren t some printed Maps.

There are printed mars since I got one from our butler.

A map on a screen doesn't help if I sit on my balcony.

MSC is not NCL, its not a american Cruise Line and in Europe same Things are really different.

I know how things work in Europe and I don't think that it's an European thing that information is only given if someone ask for it.

I really like the European things on MSC, especially the Italian food, but the great food they served doesn't excuse that it took until Wednesday before they told me the name of the captain. (We embarked in Barcelona on Friday.)

I have to say again that it wasn't a problem, only annoying, and we really loved the cruise.

We came home on Saturday and on Wednesday we booked a new cruise on MSC. We have loved all our NCL cruises too but we have never before booked a new cruise so soon after finishing a cruise.

This is an concerning thread to me as we take our first MSC cruise at the start of Sept. The ship (Preziosa) will be following an itinerary which includes Hamburg, Le Havre, Southampton, Zeebruge and Amsterdam.

Does anyone know which will be the home port in that cruise and how can I get a printed map of the ship if it is not automatically supplied to those who embark in Hamburg, since we will not have a butler (we are in a fantasica balcony cabin)?

Also will we get a daily sheet (with the sort of details that you get on other cruise ships), either delivered to the cabin or available from elsewhere (perhaps reception)? We will need to know about dining times and opening hours for other bars/restaurants etc.

We have done lots of cruises on European cruise lines and the only time we experienced a cruise with different embarkation ports was a Costa one from Hong Kong round trip when some passengers, mostly Australians, embarked in Singapore.

Edited by tring

This is an concerning thread to me as we take our first MSC cruise at the start of Sept. The ship (Preziosa) will be following an itinerary which includes Hamburg, Le Havre, Southampton, Zeebruge and Amsterdam.

Does anyone know which will be the home port in that cruise and how can I get a printed map of the ship if it is not automatically supplied to those who embark in Hamburg, since we will not have a butler (we are in a fantasica balcony cabin)?

Also will we get a daily sheet (with the sort of details that you get on other cruise ships), either delivered to the cabin or available from elsewhere (perhaps reception)? We will need to know about dining times and opening hours for other bars/restaurants etc.

We have done lots of cruises on European cruise lines and the only time we experienced a cruise with different embarkation ports was a Costa one from Hong Kong round trip when some passengers, mostly Australians, embarked in Singapore.

I've done several cruises on MSC ships and have never experienced a sense of "homeports' receiving any more favourable treatment than any others. Ships tend to have homeports for logistical reasons such as taking on supplies. So the first couple of nights from that port, the food offerings will tend to be based on the more perishable items, etc.

You will get a daily planner every night for the next day's activities. There are plenty of threads on this forum with photos of them.

There was a time when a copy of the ship's map was available in your cabin - that has since ceased. However, they are often available near the reception area on a stand. If not, Guest Services will certainly have them.

You don't state the actual date of your cruise but the following thread relates to the 6th September sailing which may affect you if your dates are the same:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2528369

I'm glad that Beamafar came to help you, she knows a lot about MSC!

I've done several cruises on MSC ships and have never experienced a sense of "homeports' receiving any more favourable treatment than any others. Ships tend to have homeports for logistical reasons such as taking on supplies. So the first couple of nights from that port, the food offerings will tend to be based on the more perishable items, etc.

You will get a daily planner every night for the next day's activities. There are plenty of threads on this forum with photos of them.

There was a time when a copy of the ship's map was available in your cabin - that has since ceased. However, they are often available near the reception area on a stand. If not, Guest Services will certainly have them.

You don't state the actual date of your cruise but the following thread relates to the 6th September sailing which may affect you if your dates are the same:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2528369

Thank you very much for that reply. This will be the first time we have travelled on such a large ship, so are trying it as a three night mini cruise disembarking at Southampton on the 6th September. It must be really worrying if the docking arrangements affect an embarkation or disembarkation port and annoying if you had assumed you would see fireworks etc.. At least we have booked our return train tickets from Southampton for early afternoon on our disembarkation day and am very glad we did so now.

We have had late changes like this ourselves on other cruise lines, but not with and embarkation/disembarkation port (other than sailing a couple of hours earlier than expected). We have previously disembarked a day early (cruise curtailed because of so called Norovirus) and a day late (ship could not dock in Southampton at a key where passengers could safely disembark due to high winds), but those sort of things happen of course.

Sorry to hear this change has happened.

Thank you very much for that reply. This will be the first time we have travelled on such a large ship, so are trying it as a three night mini cruise disembarking at Southampton on the 6th September.

At least you won't be affected.

Preziosa is a beautiful ship. I hope you enjoy your time onboard - though 3 nights is a little short to get to know it. Also, the vibe will be different than a normal 7 night cruise - you won't get much chance to interact with the crew, or they with you. They may seem offhand, as a result. They respond really well when you're friendly toward them. One of the biggest factors in our MSC cruise enjoyment is interacting with the crew.

Best wishes for a great mini-cruise! :)

Thanks to all who have posted here, as well as on other threads. CC is a great resource where we can help others with our own knowledge and get help when we need it as well. What would we do without it!

Cheers all,

Barbara