Cruise topics for Aussie and NZ CCers

This thread is really for those with GUT type reactions.

They could be anything that may or may not have to do with cruising.

Such as training your dog to be a service dog.

Looking forward to hearing how to train service schnauzers.

Looking forward to hearing how to train service schnauzers.

It's a actually not that hard to train most dogs, consistent rules applied consistently. Basics first.

Generally they're about the intelligence of a kid of about 3 or 4.

Max is 12 weeks, probably about the equivalent of a 2 year old human. He sits on command, almost all the time. He comes when I call him, he comes when the girls call him probably 90% of the time.

When someone comes to the door he sits and waits till they are in the door, mostly, unless it's me if I've been out most of the day (or like recently a few days) then all bets are off.

He waits to eat till he is told it's OK probably 85% of the time.

Brings a ball back a few times till he decides enough is enough.

When he gets better at these we will move to the next step.

His baby sister has her first show next weekend, she will need to run on the lead and by run I mean a 1,2,3,4 not bouncing or bounding, she will need to stand still. I've got no doubt she will ace it.

Would you like to book this ship for a cruise?

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/connect/announcing-our-newest-ship-symphony-of-the-seas/

Royal Caribbean International’s newest ship will be Symphony of the Seas, and it’s coming your way April 2018. Currently being built in St. Nazaire, France, Symphony will join Oasis-class sister ships Harmony of the Seas, Oasis of the Seas and Allure of the Seas, and will be the 25th ship in the fleet; she’ll also be the largest cruise ship in the world.

It's a actually not that hard to train most dogs, consistent rules applied consistently. Basics first.

Generally they're about the intelligence of a kid of about 3 or 4.

Max is 12 weeks, probably about the equivalent of a 2 year old human. He sits on command, almost all the time. He comes when I call him, he comes when the girls call him probably 90% of the time.

When someone comes to the door he sits and waits till they are in the door, mostly, unless it's me if I've been out most of the day (or like recently a few days) then all bets are off.

He waits to eat till he is told it's OK probably 85% of the time.

Brings a ball back a few times till he decides enough is enough.

When he gets better at these we will move to the next step.

His baby sister has her first show next weekend, she will need to run on the lead and by run I mean a 1,2,3,4 not bouncing or bounding, she will need to stand still. I've got no doubt she will ace it.

Sounds like it is going well with Max's training, as my friend who works specifically on dog behaviour says, it is training the trainer 9 times out of 10.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/connect/announcing-our-newest-ship-symphony-of-the-seas/

Royal Caribbean International’s newest ship will be Symphony of the Seas, and it’s coming your way April 2018. Currently being built in St. Nazaire, France, Symphony will join Oasis-class sister ships Harmony of the Seas, Oasis of the Seas and Allure of the Seas, and will be the 25th ship in the fleet; she’ll also be the largest cruise ship in the world.

I would love to try her. I know the big ships have their issues but in reality it tends to be the ports that have the issues with big ships (tendering or cannot handle the influx of tourists). so perhaps the Caribbean or the Mediterranean is best suited for a ship her size.

I got asked a question recently and it goes as such

'Is cruising with friends or family better or does it restrict your style?'.

I suppose they meant having to meet up all the time at various venues and times or having to save spaces/seats all the time as opposed to just doing what you want when you want.

Personally, it depends on the cruise for me, and in some cases the friends or family.

What are your thoughts?

Nope! Larger is NOT better IMHO!

I suppose they meant having to meet up all the time at various venues and times or having to save spaces/seats all the time as opposed to just doing what you want when you want.

Personally, it depends on the cruise for me, and in some cases the friends or family.

What are your thoughts?

There are some friends that I would be happy to cruise with as they would not expect me to spend every awake moment with them, and would be happy for everyone to do their own thing during the day and meet up most nights for dinner.

However I would not cruise with my sister-in-law as she likes to micromanage everything and thinks the only right way to do things is her way.

There are some friends that I would be happy to cruise with as they would not expect me to spend every awake moment with them, and would be happy for everyone to do their own thing during the day and meet up most nights for dinner.

However I would not cruise with my sister-in-law as she likes to micromanage everything and thinks the only right way to do things is her way.

I recently had a birthday cruise where there were 18 or so of us travelling together. I said to everyone that there were several events / dinner that anyone could join if they wish and they were at set times and already organised for the group to attend so if they didn't want to go to let me know (one was my birthday dinner). Other than that they could do whatever they wanted and didn't feel obligated to just hang around me, although they were welcome to if they wanted. I said I would be outside the MDR for breakfast at 8.30am, I could be found at the trivia sessions and I would be in a particular bar at 5.30pm for afternoon drinks where we would be for at least an hour or two before heading for dinner. The cruise worked well and some of the friends and family hung around and others did their own thing. We often all met up up and went to dinner and then just split into several tables.

Not for me I don't think.

What are your thoughts?

I think it depends on who they are, and if you can set ground rules (if needed).

However only family I've ever cruised with are Mrs Gut and twice with Miss Gut. And only friends I've cruised with weren friends when the cruise started.

We have made many friends during a cruise, some of which we have maintained contact outside of cruising and others have just been for the cruise and any future cruise related activities/cruises.

I think it is important to find a balance of spending time together but not all the time that suits both/all parties, otherwise the friendship wouldn't last long at all.

I recently had a birthday cruise where there were 18 or so of us travelling together. I said to everyone that there were several events / dinner that anyone could join if they wish and they were at set times and already organised for the group to attend so if they didn't want to go to let me know (one was my birthday dinner). Other than that they could do whatever they wanted and didn't feel obligated to just hang around me, although they were welcome to if they wanted. I said I would be outside the MDR for breakfast at 8.30am, I could be found at the trivia sessions and I would be in a particular bar at 5.30pm for afternoon drinks where we would be for at least an hour or two before heading for dinner. The cruise worked well and some of the friends and family hung around and others did their own thing. We often all met up up and went to dinner and then just split into several tables.

That sounds like a great way to do it. We have similar patterns in our cruise days so could easily do those sorts of arrangement.

We actually did a similar thing when we joined friends in renting a villa in Tuscany for a week. We tended to have breakfast together, head off for the day separately, and meet back at the villa for dinner.

We have holidays with friends where we are not worried about being polite or about entertaining each other. We enjoy each others company but it means we do things like text "heading to bar" and if they want to come they do. I love that type of group holiday. Others where the friends either want to spend every minute with you or are too polite to say what they want are less enjoyable.

Meanwhile our 1 year old Maltese Terrier is coming along ok, but I can't train my family not to leave their shoes out! I have tried giving them treats when they put their shoes away but so far they are proving difficult and we are buying shoes at a rapid pace

Meanwhile our 1 year old Maltese Terrier is coming along ok, but I can't train my family not to leave their shoes out! I have tried giving them treats when they put their shoes away but so far they are proving difficult and we are buying shoes at a rapid pace

Have you tried hanging one of those shoe holders in strategic places. The ones with all the pockets? That would get the shoes off the ground at least. Also if you have to replace shoes make sure you buy the ugliest shoes you can find as the replacements. ;p :D

We have holidays with friends where we are not worried about being polite or about entertaining each other. We enjoy each others company but it means we do things like text "heading to bar" and if they want to come they do. I love that type of group holiday. Others where the friends either want to spend every minute with you or are too polite to say what they want are less enjoyable.

I think cruising with friends may depend on how close you are as friends.

Mrs Gut and I are bits of hermits. We've made a few friends on cruises, but I think it was because they were a bit like us and happy to do our own things with little if any plans to meet up, but enjoy it if it happened our kids still can't believe we spent a full day with one couple (just not like us) and then met them for dinner when they visited the area. But that whole day was probably only about 40 or 50 hours out of a 35 day cruise, maybe less.

Oh and thieves Miss Gut's dally is the world's biggest show thief, I think it's so you can't go to work and gave to spend the day with him. He seldom gets to where the shoes are kept, BUT when he does....

There was a thread on the Celebrity Board about the proliferation of service dogs on cruises - it was a real hoot to read and I will try and find the thread again and post the link to it here.

By the way, I was down at my local beach very early one morning a couple of months ago and a couple came down on the beach. He with a Macaw parrot on his shoulder, and She with a Pink Galah perched on her shoulder.

Yes, this is a true story, believe it or not.

Naturally as we were the only three people on the beach I was intrigued as to what was going on and it was only when they walked passed me I noticed the woman was topless. At that point I could not help myself but asked if the Galah was a service "animal" because if so - it failed to warn her to put her top on and she should consider further training.

There was a thread on the Celebrity Board about the proliferation of service dogs on cruises - it was a real hoot to read and I will try and find the thread again and post the link to it here..

Here is the link as promised:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/showthread.php?t=2456344

There are numerous other threads on this topic, some of the stories will amaze you for some peoples audacity and downright determination to take their favourite pet on their cruise - come what may!!!

Here is the link as promised:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/showthread.php?t=2456344

There are numerous other threads on this topic, some of the stories will amaze you for some peoples audacity and downright determination to take their favourite pet on their cruise - come what may!!!

I have a real issue with fake service dogs and indeed fake disabilities.

But there's one thing I have an even bigger issue with.

Those that judge a person's need for a service dog, or the impact of their disability without knowing the facts.

People can often look at me and think there's nothing wrong with me. On another day I can't even get out of bed, but probably still look fine. Anyone who looks at the results of any of my scans, says "ohhh ....."

There was a thread on the Celebrity Board about the proliferation of service dogs on cruises - it was a real hoot to read and I will try and find the thread again and post the link to it here.

By the way, I was down at my local beach very early one morning a couple of months ago and a couple came down on the beach. He with a Macaw parrot on his shoulder, and She with a Pink Galah perched on her shoulder.

Yes, this is a true story, believe it or not.

Naturally as we were the only three people on the beach I was intrigued as to what was going on and it was only when they walked passed me I noticed the woman was topless. At that point I could not help myself but asked if the Galah was a service "animal" because if so - it failed to warn her to put her top on and she should consider further training.

I think this is just a story and didn't really happen, everyone knows that a macaw and a galah would never mix.