PREMIUM ALL INCLUSIVE question

Froggitt

I suspect you will only find out onboard. Not enough people on here have even travelled with premium all inclusive yet, so we don't have much knowledge about its practicalities yet.

My guess is that this will be like the situation where 18-21's currently receive the soda package with free at sea and the reports of people getting that upgraded to the UBP have been very random. Some have been successful and some not. Probably more haven't been able to do it than have (although that is based on just the few comments on here).

I agree with Keith, but it also depends what you mean by "USA cruises", because the answer would seem to be very clear for Alaska and Hawaii itineraries: The drinking age throughout the cruise is 21, period. No beer/wine, no waiver, nothing. At least that's what the website has indicated for many years, and I don't remember anyone saying they experienced something different on board.

I agree with Keith, but it also depends what you mean by "USA cruises", because the answer would seem to be very clear for Alaska and Hawaii itineraries: The drinking age throughout the cruise is 21, period. No beer/wine, no waiver, nothing. At least that's what the website has indicated for many years, and I don't remember anyone saying they experienced something different on board.

New York

My understanding is that a 20 yo may upgrade in certain circumstances to the corks package with parental consent but not the ubp. Beer and wine only for 18 to 20 year olds.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's the thing, its technically not a UBP, however drinks are included.

[/url]

Since the Alaska and Hawaii itineraries would be sailed completely in US waters, then US law would be mandated, which would coincide with the 21+ to drink. While in the Caribbean, there are multiple countries involved and because of this NCL will let those cruisers that are 18-20 and have parental permission get the corks and caps package. It can even be a perk if the person is number two in the cabin, so only the gratuity would be paid. This was verified through the recent LIVE thread by the Dougout on the Escape.

It can even be a perk if the person is number two in the cabin, so only the gratuity would be paid. This was verified through the recent LIVE thread by the Dougout on the Escape.

This seems to be very random, as I said above. Some people have had success with it, but others haven't. It seems to vary from ship to ship (and, knowing NCL probably even on the same ship at times).

Since the Alaska and Hawaii itineraries would be sailed completely in US waters, then US law would be mandated, which would coincide with the 21+ to drink.
For the POA in Hawaii, the ship may or may not be in US waters the whole time (I don't know), and it obviously does not call at any foreign ports. But more to the point, the ship is registered in Honolulu, so I guess that means that US federal laws and Hawaii state laws continue to apply even in international waters.

For Alaska, there is always at least one Canadian port, but yes, most of the itinerary is in US waters. But anyway we now know that the OP was not asking about about Hawaii or Alaska sailings.

It's not clear to me how European passengers with the premium all-inclusive offer are identified on board. Do their keycards simply say "UBP"? I suspect that there must be a different indication (so that the staff know that the guest can have specialty coffee at mealtimes), but I would be very interested to learn more.

We were on the Getaway last October & I signed the parental permission for my daughter, as she was 19 she had the soda package (being 2nd in cabin) -they did not offer to upgrade her to cork & beer package which would have been fairer as we had to buy her wine. We booked in the UK but the all inclusive premium was not introduced then, we are to book for Christmas, same ship, when she will be 20, can book with either UK or USA depending on price - how do we get the package upgraded onboard- what obstacles may we encounter. I did not see the thread mentioned above

how do we get the package upgraded onboard- what obstacles may we encounter. I did not see the thread mentioned above

I'm not aware of any way to really help with this. I have never tried and have never been there when others tried, so maybe there is some special way of asking or some particular place to ask that helps.

I very much doubt it though. It just seems to be one of those things, of which there are a number on NCL (whether multiple entrees etc are allowed with the SDP for example) where different people get different answers.

All you can do is ask and hope. You may be lucky. I really don't think there is much you can do to influence the answer outside the obvious like being polite when asking.

The most detailed account I have seen is TheDougOut's recent live report from the Escape. Apparently (and his reports are about as reliable as you can get on CC) he had to make a request for his 20-year old daughter and the ship had to send it to Miami before they could make the change (see here). I don't know if this means that they decide on a case-to-case basis. I suppose there are liability issues, and maybe they check to see if you (and your kids) are already known as "problematic" guests.

But anyway, all of this is to with the alcoholic packages (UBP and Corks & Caps) and I still don't know if anyone on this board has first-hand experience with the Premium All-Inclusive offer.

It's not clear to me how European passengers with the premium all-inclusive offer are identified on board. Do their keycards simply say "UBP"? I suspect that there must be a different indication (so that the staff know that the guest can have specialty coffee at mealtimes), but I would be very interested to learn more.

I just checked my card...

UBP+C+I

Can a 20 year old drink wine, with parental permission, on USA cruises within the Premium All Inclusive scheme?

Check out thedugout's July Escape review--I think he had to wait until he got on board but was able to upgrade 20yo daughter to corks and caps package which is beer and wine only. That was on the western Caribbean itinerary, I think she had the soda package due to her age and dad had to sign waiver at guest services and pay the gratuity difference.

It's a little concerning that lots of people seem to be relying on that one specific example, and assuming that this can always be done.

As stated, there have been many reports of people trying to upgrade and not being successful. It seems to be very variable. Certainly one of those NCL things where a dozen people can report their experience and them all be different. I would recommend to people to have a plan B in place.

Can a 20 year old drink wine, with parental permission, on USA cruises within the Premium All Inclusive scheme?
To get back to the original question, the answer is actually on the NCL.co.uk page about the PAI offer:

Soft drinks and juices for children and adolescents included

Guests 2–20 years will enjoy unlimited soft drinks, water and juices (not fresh squeezed) in all bars, in all lounges and restaurants during the entire cruise. 18% gratuity included.

Young adults between 18 and 20 years of age can purchase and personally consume wine and beer whilst on board only with the consent of an accompanying parent, with the exception of Alaska itineraries.

I wonder why they don't say they exclude Hawaii cruises.

Unlimited soft drinks are included for 2-20? I was told I'd have to pay $60+ for my daughter on NCL-Escape. Is that because she is the third/free passenger?

Drinks are included for all passengers if booked in the UK and much of Europe. If you aren't from somewhere that does the all inclusive then you would have to pay for them.

Assuming you are in the US, usually only the first two passengers have the option of free drinks.

Edited by KeithJenner