Carnival Dream trip report. Carnival Dream 8/13/17

steve4031

Cabin review 2280. Cove balcony

This cabin is on the port side on the front half of the ship. There were no noise issues above. The AC worked ok. During the day I closed the Curtain to block out the sun. This improved the conditions. I think my metabolism contributed so I did not complain.

The location was perfect IMHO. After a couple of days I learned to walk down the hall way to the relevant elevator and stairway cluster and then go up. This was easier then walking through deck 5 or 10.

When going to shows I could get to the theater in 2 minutes. Since I was solo I could hang on the cabin into 5 minutes before the 7:15 and then walk up. I was always able to find a seat. If you are a large group that has to sit together then you need to get there earlier. Couples could also use my strategy.

I enjoyed the balcony. It was great to open the door and walk out to check the scenery.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by steve4031

Review of cabin service: excellent

I was pretty low maintenance. I asked for morning service. This was provided consistently in a manner that allowed me to return from breakfast to a clean cabin on sea days. One day I arrived and had to wait a few minutes for him to finish. I didn't mind but that was the last wait.

I enjoyed the towel animals. The monkey hanging from the mirror was cool.

I had laundry service and he checked to see if that had been processed correctly. One day the toilet didn't flush correctly for me and I called for assistance. He came immediately and pushed the button and it worked. Phew.

I tipped him 20 in cash on the first day. I know they have more rooms then before.

Noise from other people:

It was especially noticeable the first two days with balcony door slams. I contributed serveral times myself in my excitement to look at the Mississippi River. I think we all got use to the door because they were fewer slams later in the week. Did not upset me. But it reminded me of threads on cruise critic so I consciously tried to limit my slams.

One night there was a loud argument in the hall. I called security when a fight seemed possible. It died down before security arrived. I was moreconcerned about somebody getting hurt than noise. Security called and checked with me the next afternoon.

These experiences did not lessen my enjoyment of the cruise. I met many interesting people. To ladies from England at breakfast. Crimson Tide fans at another breakfast. Since I am a football fan these were fun experiences.

I had dinner twice with two African American ladies that I met at the diva trivia game.

The ship is large enough that there are different areas to accommodate different interests. If you don't like the demographics where you are, keep moving you will find it. There will be motown music in one place, Lynard skynard in another, and hip hop in a third.

Your preference won't be present the entire cruise but it will be addressed at some point IMHO.

The Dream Class

This was my first large ship. All previous cruises had been on fantasy class ships.

The ship size was not noticeable to me. Outside of embarkation I never had difficulty finding a place to sit or a long wait in line for food.

I enjoyed the steakhouse and guys burger the most.

Vignettes from last sea day:

In elevator and a lady is looking at a several page long sign and sail account. "I'm going to cry every time I look at this so let's leave it in the cabin".

Walking through the ship and come across masseuse from yesterday. She greeted me by name and asked how I was. Told another employee I was her favorite and sat me on a chair and gave me free 5 minute massage.

Enjoyed a guys burger on lido deck. A lady looked put the window and noticed dolphins playing. I only saw the fins. But the lady's smile was priceless.

In the morning I was sitting in the lobby bar relaxing and reading. My friends from dinner came by and issued a 6 pm invitation for tonight. Take. A hat trick for three awesome dinners in the dining room.

Disembarking the Dream

I decided to self disembark. I had an 8 am time since I was on deck 2. I got up at 6:50, ate breakfast and returned to my cabin at 8 am.

In New Orleans you go up to deck 3 and then get off. The elevator, as expected, was impossible to use. I carried my bag up one level and joined the line to get off. With a good spinner bag and one small bag attached to it, this was easy.

Some passengers seemed intent on getting off early even though they had their bags removed the night before. Carnival crew could see what was going on because these people had no luggage and did direct them to waiting areas. Some complied and some ignored. One guy said, "what are you going to do? Throw me off the ship?". The hostility seemed unnecessary. IMHO the crew worked hard to serve us and now had to prepare the ship for incoming passengers.

I suspect a late night accompanied by an early wake up contributed to some of this behavior.

I was off the ship and in a lyft at 8:45 am. Pretty efficient IMHO.

I don't know how they make their decisions. I had to ask twice for anytime dining. I had selected early dining and asked the first day. The maitre D said no and suggested late dining and sat me with singles. After I tried it and didn't like it I asked one of the female assistants and she did it with no problem.

I would keep checking to see if you can change it before departure. If no luck you would probably get it done on board.

Hi Steve. Enjoyed your review. Thank you. We are on the Dream in 189 days. We were only offered early or late dining not anytime dining. What's up with that?

You should have the option to be wait-listed for YTD. If you go into your Cruise Manager, you should be able to select YTD, and if it is full, you will be wait-listed.

We did the self-disembark as well. We arrived on the third deck around 7:15 and were looking for a spot to wait until 7:45 am. There were not a lot of people going off at that point and a Carnival employee grabbed us and sent us off the ship.

Cleared customs and we were on the shuttle to Hampton Inn to get our car by 8am.

The only disappointments we had.

1. Son's idea of putting on sunscreen didn't match ours so he missed Belize and Cozumel.

2. Brunch one morning we informed the hostess we would need three seats because our daughter would be down shortly. Brought us to a table with two open seats at the end and one in the middle of others. They asked the people to shift over which had a husband offset from a wife, we insisted on being seated elsewhere and that wasn't well received by the young lady.

3. The valet at the Hampton made no effort to assist us in putting our bags in the car, I normally tip $5 for bringing the car and $5 per bag which would have been $30 but planned to tip $40 because loading my car with that many bags is a bit like playing Tetris. He looked at the bags and walked off so we fought the bags and I kept the tip. They did the same with the other family with us.

Few things to add that aren't negative.

1. Room service French fries are tasty.

2. Give one good cash tip to a bartender and he or she will pretty much know your order even if you don't see them again for another 2 or 3 days.

3. Laundry wash and fold service was surprisingly fast and fair priced.

4. One of the waiters noticed our adult son was missing from a meal and inquired about him and offered to put together a meal for him that we could take down.

5. The alcohol prices at the store on board were incredibly competitive even though I didn't buy any, I did buy a seven year old Havana Club rum in Mexico that wasn't offered on the ship but I knew I liked because friends had brought me a bottle from Cuba.