Non US citizen needs to contact embassy

worktocruise610

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I cannot find any information on it and trust the CC members more than my travel agent ;pWe will be traveling on the Breakaway in November to the Bahamas. My MIL is a US resident, but not citizen so has foreign passport. I received an email from my travel agent stating she needs to check in with the consulate or embassy of the countries on our itinerary whether she is leaving the ship or not. I have never heard of this, do not see anything on NCL requirements that state this, so not very confident in it's truth.

Does anyone have any experience with this as a non US citizen? She has her passport & of course will bring it & use it to check in. But do I really need to contact the Bahamian embassy to advise she will be traveling there? We may not even get off the ship in the Bahamas as we've been multiple times. I appreciate any help you guys can give me TIA.

You have to have the correct visas, if required, to board the ship. Regardless of whether you leave the ship or not. Your travel agent is telling you that you need check with the embassy (or their web site) to find out what documents are needed for your MIL. Not to announce her arrival.

We went on a cruise before with a friend before and his son was a permanent resident. His son's foreign passport and "green card" was sufficient document when allowed for boarding.

You can call NCL if your agent says otherwise

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I cannot find any information on it and trust the CC members more than my travel agent ;pWe will be traveling on the Breakaway in November to the Bahamas. My MIL is a US resident, but not citizen so has foreign passport. I received an email from my travel agent stating she needs to check in with the consulate or embassy of the countries on our itinerary whether she is leaving the ship or not. I have never heard of this, do not see anything on NCL requirements that state this, so not very confident in it's truth.

Does anyone have any experience with this as a non US citizen? She has her passport & of course will bring it & use it to check in. But do I really need to contact the Bahamian embassy to advise she will be traveling there? We may not even get off the ship in the Bahamas as we've been multiple times. I appreciate any help you guys can give me TIA.

I hope that you realize that by posting here, you've opted to get a wide variety of dissenting OPINION.

Travel document requirements are set by the countries that will be visited. Not by NCL, not by your Travel Agent, and certainly not by random posters on an Internet cruise forum. If you show up at the pier without the correct documentation, you can be denied boarding...and then you lose the vacation.

What your Travel Agent recommended is the BEST advice you will get. Call the embassy and get the information that you need. A little effort now for greater peace of mind later.

Remember, no matter what, if the person at the pier is telling you that you don't have the right documents, "but they said it was OK on Cruise Critic" isn't going to mean a darn thing.

I appreciate all your replies. Yes, I know I can be denied boarding and yes I know it is up to the country I am visiting as to what documents are required. However, I think my original wording was not clear - he did not tell me to call them to check what documents are required (she has her green card & foreign passport which she will be showing upon embarkation) he told me I have to call them to advise we would be going there. I was just asking if anyone had heard of having to do this. Again, thanks for the help.

What matters is what nationality (and "foreign" valid passport your MIL is carrying with you, and, the laws - rules & regulations of Bahamas then governed whether a visa is required or not ... most likely not, but we don't know for sure (as SeaShark wrote above - but, let's make a guess ...)

You are free to do whatever or nothing at all, and, just show up at the pier for check-in ... and take a (slim or otherwise) chance of being denied boarding for the cruise for documentation (visa) Very often, it doesn't matter whether you intend to get off the ship or not - even transit passengers are sometimes, depending on nationality (passport holder's as determined by country of birth, not current residency) - i.e. US citizens don't need a visa for Canada, but others do - even as transit - on a connecting flight.

Best to check with the nearest, local Bahamas consulate directly and/or at their official government website. Here's something to start reading about -

https://www.bahamas.com/entry-requirements.

Your MIL, I believe & if not mistaken, should be traveling with her original Alien Registration Card ... also needed for presentation to U.S. border control - CBP for disembarkation. DIsclaimer - all of the tips & advice given herein are strictly generalized & non-specific and intended as a general guide.

Very strange advice from your travel agent. If you your MIL holds a passport of a country that requires a visa, that is one thing. If a visa is not required, why should you possibly have to "check in" with the country. I would ask your TA for clarification, I think they are confused. Perhaps they don't deal with travelers with foreign passports very often.

One thing I have done in the past (while backpacking many moons ago), is registered with the Canadian Government (I am Canadian). They have a website for Canadians traveling abroad so if there is a natural disaster\ civil unrest they can get you out quickly. A don't think a cruise would be something I would worry about.... but that's me. Could that be the kind of thing your TA is talking about? Maybe the Foreign Affairs\ State Department of your MIL's country has such a website.

Very strange advice from your travel agent. If you your MIL holds a passport of a country that requires a visa, that is one thing. If a visa is not required, why should you possibly have to "check in" with the country. I would ask your TA for clarification, I think they are confused. Perhaps they don't deal with travelers with foreign passports very often.

One thing I have done in the past (while backpacking many moons ago), is registered with the Canadian Government (I am Canadian). They have a website for Canadians traveling abroad so if there is a natural disaster\ civil unrest they can get you out quickly. A don't think a cruise would be something I would worry about.... but that's me. Could that be the kind of thing your TA is talking about? Maybe the Foreign Affairs\ State Department of your MIL's country has such a website.

Thank you so much! I believe you are the only one who actually read what I wrote lol. I think he is confused also, I've asked him for clarification waiting for him to get back to me. I do have all the documents she needs so I'm know I'm okay with that. Thanks again for your help ;)

I read what you posted. But the advice, as described by your TA, makes no sense. Unless your MIL has an unusual nationality where a 'check in' was required - never heard of such a thing but suppose it's possible. So I think people were just trying to make a educated guess about what your TA was thinking of. But no, like the other posters I've never heard of needing to 'check in' with an embassy in a foreign country. Simply to look into visa requirements ahead of time.

We went on a cruise before with a friend before and his son was a permanent resident. His son's foreign passport and "green card" was sufficient document when allowed for boarding.

Totally irrelevant.

A US green card has zero do do with whether the Bahamas will let you in without a visa. And if you don't have the right documentation to enter the Bahamas, you will not be allowed to board he ship.

The OP asked "Does anyone have any experience with this as a non US citizen?"

We went on a cruise before with a friend and his son was a permanent resident. His son's foreign passport and "green card" was sufficient document when allowed for boarding.

I gave my experience with a friend, and said what was required.

Totally irrelevant.

A US green card has zero do do with whether the Bahamas will let you in without a visa. And if you don't have the right documentation to enter the Bahamas, you will not be allowed to board he ship.

But, your position is different from the website that you wanted (your Post #2) checked.

https://www.bahamas.com/entry-requirements

The relevant information states:

"US Permanent Residents (Non-citizens)

To enter The Bahamas, US residents who are not citizens need the following documentation:

• Alien Registration Card (Green Card)

For visits NOT exceeding 30 days:

• An original Alien Registration Card is required, along with a national passport (passport from country of birth).

For visits exceeding 30 days:

• A valid national passport and a Bahamas visa are required for US resident non-citizens wishing to stay longer than 30 days."

The OP did not say they will be staying in the Bahamas for more than 30 days.

What is totally irrelevant in my post??

I read what you posted. But the advice, as described by your TA, makes no sense. Unless your MIL has an unusual nationality where a 'check in' was required - never heard of such a thing but suppose it's possible. So I think people were just trying to make a educated guess about what your TA was thinking of. But no, like the other posters I've never heard of needing to 'check in' with an embassy in a foreign country. Simply to look into visa requirements ahead of time.

Sorry did not mean insult to anyone, I typed before I thought. Definitely should have worded it differently so as not to sound as snotty as I did. I sincerely am sorry. I appreciate the replies & people trying to help. And I had never heard of it either so was getting a little freaky. Again, I apologize for sounding ungrateful & appreciate you all for taking the time to help me out & calm my nerves! ;):D

The OP asked "Does anyone have any experience with this as a non US citizen?"

I gave my experience with a friend, and said what was required.

But, your position is different from the website that you wanted (your Post #2) checked.

https://www.bahamas.com/entry-requirements

The relevant information states:

"US Permanent Residents (Non-citizens)

To enter The Bahamas, US residents who are not citizens need the following documentation:

• Alien Registration Card (Green Card)

For visits NOT exceeding 30 days:

• An original Alien Registration Card is required, along with a national passport (passport from country of birth).

For visits exceeding 30 days:

• A valid national passport and a Bahamas visa are required for US resident non-citizens wishing to stay longer than 30 days."

The OP did not say they will be staying in the Bahamas for more than 30 days.

What is totally irrelevant in my post??

Offtopic: wow, this must be your longest post ever in your constant 10.000+ "Thank you" spamming run. :o But.. actually nice to see something that contributes to a thread! :)(y)

I read what you posted. But the advice, as described by your TA, makes no sense. Unless your MIL has an unusual nationality where a 'check in' was required - never heard of such a thing but suppose it's possible.

Besides the regular heads up for getting adequate visas and proper ID I too never had anything like OP described. Being Dutch we luckily have not a lot of required visas (there was a website once, telling you would need xx visas for all the world's some 158ish countries when you are from xx country.) so I only travelled on an US ESTA and no required visas for the Bahamas or any other port on that cruise.

Same with my wife on Breakaway last October. She just needed her foreign passport and green card. We also took our marriage license as the passport was in her maiden name. The customs agent said I guess your name is different due to marriage. We said yes do you want to see the license. He chuckled and said no need.

With a Colombian passport you can only update the last name in colombia at the Embassy. :(

In all our cruising we have never been asked for a visa when getting off at any island.

Edited by bumorgan

Do not worry about visas on Carribean cruises. We have been on many Carribean cruises to destinations where supposedly my wife needs a visa. We get off the ship just with our ship cards and leave passports behind.

On our very first cruise many years ago the first port was Nassau where my wife needed a visa. She was going to stop on the ship but we decided to give it a try and no problem whatsoever. We have since been back several times to Nassau. My wife also needs a visa for Mexico but also no problem as they never ask to see your passport.

The only port in our many cruises where we needed to show our passports was in Key West. Forget about visas and enjoy your cruise.

It all depends what country your MIL is from and what country you are going, that will tell you if you need a visa or not. If you do not need a visa then just bring your passport and green card and you are fine.

My husband is a US citizen and I am a permanent resident (green card holder). I was originally born in Brazil and have a Brazilian passport. We have gone to the Caribbean multiple times and even Mexico and I did not need a visa. But I did check with the embassy of the countries just to make sure I didn't need one. We are going on a cruise out of Barcelona in Oct and I checked the embassies and was told I did not need a visa so I am just bringing my passport and green card.

Now for example, if my husband wanted to take a cruise out of Brazil, then he would need to apply for a visa because Brazil requires US citizens to have visas. I'm not sure where your MIL is from, but just to be safe I would call the embassy of her country and ask if a visa is required for her to travel to where you will be traveling. If it's in the Caribbean more than likely she won't need a visa since the Caribbean pretty much accepts everybody, but I would do some research just in case!