How formal is formal?

We will be on the Vision OTS going from Quebec to New York 20th Sept. It's our first time on RC and I can't seem to find a straight answer to the level of formality required in the main dining room. Husband is happy in shirt / tie / waistcoat combo but doesn't want to bring a jacket as we're starting with 5 days in Canada and finishing with 5 days in NYC and only have so much luggage capacity. Also do I really need to wear a dress? I'm happy in smart trousers and a pretty / sparkly top and I know I'll get my wear out of these when we stay in NYC. Thanks for any help.

We will be on the Vision OTS going from Quebec to New York 20th Sept. It's our first time on RC and I can't seem to find a straight answer to the level of formality required in the main dining room. Husband is happy in shirt / tie / waistcoat combo but doesn't want to bring a jacket as we're starting with 5 days in Canada and finishing with 5 days in NYC and only have so much luggage capacity. Also do I really need to wear a dress? I'm happy in smart trousers and a pretty / sparkly top and I know I'll get my wear out of these when we stay in NYC. Thanks for any help.

Simple truth...it isn't formal. It appears you will be "better dressed" that about half the people on the ship.

Nothing is enforced anymore, so there's no real "requirement".

I have always done a "dressy Sunday" (like Easter Sunday dressing). The average guy does shirt tie or shirt, tie, sport coat. You will see some less dressy and you will see some tuxes and beaded ball gowns. Hope this helps.

What you described will be more than fine. You will see people in anything from a tux to formal t-shirts.

Your husband may want to take a jacket. In mid to late September, highs in Montreal are about 60 and lows of 45. Quebec City is even cooler. He could wear it instead of packing it for the trip. I'd definitely take a sports coat or blazer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sports coat or blazer not necessary at all...What will be is a casual daytime jacket/coat for cool weather...wear this during travel.

As far as dress in the dining venues...what you described will be more than fine...DH doesn't really need a tie...slacks and shirt will be fine.

Well let me just tell you we are currently on the Allure and in formal night we saw everything from tuxes to suits ---shirt and tie business casual to tank top and cutoffs with flip flops. For the women few formal gowns. Many cocktail dresses some in casual tops with long pants. Some adult women in t-shirt and shorts. Mind you the MDR is hardly crowded with all the options on board.

Ltr

Sent from my iPhone using Forums