Leaving Jewel of the Seas in San Juan

Both Delta and American would not allow luggage checkin until 4 hours before the flight. We had precheck and club access but were stuck with luggage outside the secure area. We were able to check in without the bags to get boarding passes. Note that there are only a few chairs and one coffee shop outside security - no where to sit. American terminal had a luggage storage area (cost was $20/bag) but when I went back out of security to check in the bags the attendant wasn't there. Waited for over 1/2 hour before he showed up. Checked in bags, back through security and back to club lounge. At this point lines were very long for ag inspection and checkin.

Moral: Don't get to the airport earlier than 4 1/2 hours if possible.

Lee, what time is recommended at San Juan airport for leaving? I know of AG check but is 2 hours still good for International?

That's an interesting thought Ohserendipity. I'll check with RCCL & see what they have to say about checking bags through to the SJU airport. Still looking for any guidance as to how short we can cut it to get to the airport, get through security, etc. & still make our 5:35 pm flight.

Last time we cruised put of SJU RCI checked our bags through to airport do they not offer this anymore?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

I asked RCI twice what we should do with bags and they said once you pick them up off the ship they stay with you

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Lee, what time is recommended at San Juan airport for leaving? I know of AG check but is 2 hours still good for International?

Strongly recommend 2 hours prior to departure. If you are checking luggage, lines can be horrendously long and slow. I usually have carry-on and Pre-check and I still get there 2 hours ahead of time.

Thanks Luvintrravel. I saw on a website about accidents/incidents involving cruise boats that a few years ago, some guests/crew aboard the Jewel got caught drug smuggling. Maybe that's what prompted RCCL to abandon the luggage valet service. While bags were out of sight...you can infer the rest...

Hi all,

We are on our first cruise in the Southern Caribbean on Dec. 3rd out of San Juan.

When the ship arrives in San juan on Dec. 10th it says the arrival time is 6:00am. I understand you can stay on the ship for a while after (like about 3 hours) and then you have to leave. And I also understand as you leave you take your bags as they are on the pier waiting for you...

My problem/question is our flight doesn't leave San Juan till 4:10pm. We plan on getting to airport 2-3 hours before, but during the times of say 9am-2pm what do we do with our bags? Can they hold them?

We have transport from ship to airport with Air2Sea but I'm sure they won't hold them.

We'd love to look around but don't really want to be rolling luggage with us.

We have a similar timing issue. We opted to book a shore excursion w/ airport transfer to the Rainforest. Should be a great way to spend the last day!

Just a note, San Juan has the worst reputation of getting through customs in any reasonable time. There are several threads about it. Get a porter at the very least.

Burt

Really? Ok

What's a porter do besides take your bags? And where's a good place to get one there?

Just a note, San Juan has the worst reputation of getting through customs in any reasonable time. There are several threads about it. Get a porter at the very least.

Burt

Worst reputation? We've cruised from SJU I think 6 times the past 7 years and never had any issues. Get in line, within 15 minutes, through customs and out the door to a taxi.

Really? Ok

What's a porter do besides take your bags? And where's a good place to get one there?

Yes a porter just takes your bags. They might get you though customs a little faster. If you want one, they'll be everywhere asking if you want to use their service.