UBP Changes August 2017 - Premium Spirits

megacruiser

Here is what I have...7dc36d5139b4188aa0b76de93074d767.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I...ummm...WHAT is happening with NCL's version of an Old Fashioned? Maple syrup? Vermouth? Please, make it stop! Whiskey or bourbon, bitters, sugar, water - orange rind around the rim. Full stop. On Carnival (surprisingly) last week, I had a perfect Old Fashioned at the steakhouse - the bartender knew exactly what to do. Later in the cruise, I had a terrible one where they crushed cherries in it *shudder*. Why is NCL also trying to ruin a perfectly delicious classic cocktail? MAPLE SYRUP, PEOPLE! :eek::eek::eek:

Viva Vino is still available. I had the list laid aside to bring home. Unfortunately my cabin mate binned it thinking it was junk.

However if you do a search on a famous search engine using this term: "NCL Jade cruise drink prices 2017 - youtube", you will find a video from an "average tourist" with the Viva Vino list at the 40 second mark.

The current list is similar but I noted the wonderful Marques de Riscal Riserva is now missing, which would have tempted me to buy even though I had the UBP.

For what it's worth, our group found the North and South Red Blend to be the most palatable red available by the glass. It seemed to be better than I remembered it from earlier cruises. The Matua Sauvignon Blanc thankfully remains.

Edited by megacruiser

Viva Vino is still available. I had the list laid aside to bring home. Unfortunately my cabin mate binned it thinking it was junk.

However if you do a search on a famous search engine using this term: "NCL Jade cruise drink prices 2017 - youtube", you will find a video from an "average tourist" with the Viva Vino list at the 40 second mark.

The current list is similar but I noted the wonderful Marques de Riscal Riserva is now missing, which would have tempted me to buy even though I had the UBP.

For what it's worth, our group found the North and South Red Blend to be the most palatable red available by the glass. It seemed to be better than I remembered it from earlier cruises. The Matua Sauvignon Blanc thankfully remains.

Thanks.

What I see in the list is not that interesting to us. We have the UBP but are trying to decide on the VV or if we should bring our own and pay the $15 per bottle.

[emoji848][emoji848][emoji848]

I'm fine with 15 a day. I've never come close. But Carnival also never includes the beverage package in the fare so you are paying $54 or so pp each day for it on top of your cruise price. And all adults in the room over 21 have to purchase.

Yea I do not like the 15 limit or the high price. I will take NCL without a few of my favs over that. If I had a big issue I would just buy a bottle for my room.

This is one of the reasons a lot of us left Carnival for a more freestyle cruise.

I'm not seeing a list for liqueurs. Anyone know if these are listed anywhere? We love a good amaretto sour (or with oj).

*and yes, I'm aware, total thread killer there. ha. All this bourbon, scotch and craft beer talk, I had to be the odd ball out.

You're in luck!

Here's the list I was able to compile from things other people posted in the last few months. They're all on the list at $9.50 and are UBP eligible.

• Amaretto Disaronno
  • B&B
  • Baileys Irish Cream
  • Chambord
  • Cointreau
  • Kahlua
  • Licor 43
  • Passoa
  • Patron Cafe XO
  • Patron Citronage
  • Pisco
  • SOHO Lychee
  • Southern Comfort
  • St. Germain
  • Tuaca
  • TY KU Citrus

Is the UBP good only in complimentary places, or is it also valid at say.. Margaritaville for just going to the bar?

It is good at all bars on board the ship, aside from the Ice Bar (if your ship has one). You can sit at the Bar area of Margaritaville and use the UBP without paying for any food. Some people on cruise critic mentioned being asked not to sit at the tables if they weren't ordering food, but others had no issues (so YMMV at a table), but there is nothing stopping you for taking up a seat at the bar or ordering one of their custom drinks and walking off to another area.

This is also true of, say, just ordering a sake at the sushi bar on board.

Where can I find these drink menus on my upcoming cruise on the BA? I don't remember seeing these laying around except the martini menu at the Martini Bar?

All bars have them, but for whatever reason there never seems to be many lying around these days.

Just back from the Jade to the Norwegian Fjords. Was surprised to see Glenmorangie Malt Whisky and Tanqueray Ten Gin included once again within the UBP. This change happened in August and is fleet-wide. As a consequence of the change they had insufficient stock to cope with the increased demand. They ran out half way through the cruise and the Beverage Manager was not permitted to substitute an alternative Malt...

be9e2ff62faa65f536f5f858b7f8fb42.jpge950e42005417a80ceb012a76c27be0c.jpge3b04a791cbd4d47726939f83e088c6c.jpg0bd8dcf546e6ef0f517a4648280748f1.jpg7755ed95d9a7616967fa98ad72198e8a.jpg

Do they have a "Super Ultra Premium" that is not posted?? I am not seeing any Boones Farm or MadDog 20/20. Maybe those are by request only and definitely not covered by the UBP.

For what it's worth, our group found the North and South Red Blend to be the most palatable red available by the glass. It seemed to be better than I remembered it from earlier cruises.

Agreed. On our last cruise, I ran through most of the reds on the UBP before trying the North and South (soon to be known just as the "North" so as not to offend anyone).

I'm used to anything under $50 being included in the drink package so will definitely have to figure out some alternatives. Or pay the extra for decent bourbon. I'm not a Bulleit fan. I prefer the traditional corn/barley mash myself. Rye heavy or wheated like Makers Mark aren't my personal favorites.

At least we're speaking the same language. ;) I keep waiting for the poor bastich who come in to tell us that they have Jack Daniels.

Agreed. On our last cruise, I ran through most of the reds on the UBP before trying the North and South (soon to be known just as the "North" so as not to offend anyone).

I believe that they settled on "Northern Wine of Aggression."

At least we're speaking the same language. ;) I keep waiting for the poor bastich who come in to tell us that they have Jack Daniels.

I am assuming that you do not know what rye is as the person who you quoted.

Rye is rare in a burbon you must use 51% RYE to be called a RYE burbon and that is from the 1700s in America.

Most Bourbons are a lot sweeter than RYE from the corn mash. Jack is a Bourbon they only make a rare version of RYE

I am assuming that you do not know what rye is as the person who you quoted.

Rye is rare in a burbon you must use 51% RYE to be called a RYE burbon and that is from the 1700s in America.

Most Bourbons are a lot sweeter than RYE from the corn mash. Jack is a Bourbon they only make a rare version of RYE

This is where I made my big mistake. It's the whole reading thing.

Jack Daniels goes out of its way to tell you that theirs is not a bourbon. See:

https://www.jackdaniels.com/en-us/faqs

jd-not-bourbon.jpg

By law, bourbon has to be 51% corn in the mash. Once you get to 50%+ rye, you're not dealing with a bourbon any more.

Well I cannot see one single bitter (beer) on this list, off on the jade next week, sailing from the uk so hoping they will include a little local libations, not everyone and there wife drinks lager!

Jazz;p

I am waiting to hear if you found anything that would be considered to be a bitter or for that matter anything that has a good rich flavor without being over the top with alcohol content or tongue numbing overly hopped. I brew all my own ales and they are basically (Northern English Browns) under 5% ABV, mild bitterness and fairly dark with solid maltiness, almost like a mix of Bass and Guinness, only better..

bosco

This is where I made my big mistake. It's the whole reading thing.

Jack Daniels goes out of its way to tell you that theirs is not a bourbon. See:

https://www.jackdaniels.com/en-us/faqs

jd-not-bourbon.jpg

By law, bourbon has to be 51% corn in the mash. Once you get to 50%+ rye, you're not dealing with a bourbon any more.

It's not a RYE. They call it whiskey because of the blend is not specific to a bourbon standard.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

It's not a RYE. They call it whiskey because of the blend is not specific to a bourbon standard.

Did you not call Jack Daniels a bourbon earlier? (I realized that you misspelled "bourbon." I cannot argue with the short bus.)

I am waiting to hear if you found anything that would be considered to be a bitter or for that matter anything that has a good rich flavor without being over the top with alcohol content or tongue numbing overly hopped. I brew all my own ales and they are basically (Northern English Browns) under 5% ABV, mild bitterness and fairly dark with solid maltiness, almost like a mix of Bass and Guinness, only better..

bosco

I am a real ale drinker but not keen on keg beer. Hence I tend to avoid beer completely when cruising. Was disappointed even in The District Brewhouse on the Escape. All very gassy and many very hoppy.

I did notice Newcastle Brown on tap on Jade. A very unimaginative choice in my view. Royal Caribbean used to offer Old Speckled Hen, which I could live with in small quantities if I really wanted beer.

Did you not call Jack Daniels a bourbon earlier? (I realized that you misspelled "bourbon." I cannot argue with the short bus.)

Yes I agree it is not because of the 1% of other ingredients. But I was speaking of RYE which also has the same 51% standard. Bourbon is cheaper to make and sweeter.

FYI the sherry they offer is really good. It was part of our jerez sherry tour a couple years back, and def one of the faves.

I was hoping for more Reds, like full bodied Cabs. Oh well.....

[emoji20][emoji20]