UBP Changes August 2017 - Premium Spirits

megacruiser

I was hoping for more Reds, like full bodied Cabs. Oh well.....

[emoji20][emoji20]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am a full bodied red cab girl myself and found the North South (or now Northern LOL!) Red to be pretty good. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am a full bodied red cab girl myself and found the North South (or now Northern LOL!) Red to be pretty good. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

[emoji1308][emoji1308][emoji1308]

Thanks!! Good to know.

[emoji485][emoji485][emoji485]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yea I do not like the 15 limit or the high price. I will take NCL without a few of my favs over that. If I had a big issue I would just buy a bottle for my room.

This is one of the reasons a lot of us left Carnival for a more freestyle cruise.

I'm getting ready to do my first Ncl in January - for less than half the cost of carnival and with ubp included. Now that I'm solo, having the studio cabins makes a huge difference. I'll compromise on drinks, or pay a few $$ extra to get Knob Creek and still come out cheaper.

I...ummm...WHAT is happening with NCL's version of an Old Fashioned? Maple syrup? Vermouth? Please, make it stop! Whiskey or bourbon, bitters, sugar, water - orange rind around the rim. Full stop. On Carnival (surprisingly) last week, I had a perfect Old Fashioned at the steakhouse - the bartender knew exactly what to do. Later in the cruise, I had a terrible one where they crushed cherries in it *shudder*. Why is NCL also trying to ruin a perfectly delicious classic cocktail? MAPLE SYRUP, PEOPLE! :eek::eek::eek:

The general public mostly wants sweet, syrupy drinks. Yuck. all too often here at home I order a Manhattan and get some syrupy, grenadine or cherry juice filled nastiness. I will say that for the most part, Carnival's bartenders are taught to make the classic cocktails well.

This is where I made my big mistake. It's the whole reading thing.

Jack Daniels goes out of its way to tell you that theirs is not a bourbon. See:

https://www.jackdaniels.com/en-us/faqs

jd-not-bourbon.jpg

By law, bourbon has to be 51% corn in the mash. Once you get to 50%+ rye, you're not dealing with a bourbon any more.

I was referring to "high rye" bourbons like Bulleit., not Rye whiskey which is something else. Traditional Manhattans use rye (although I personally prefer bourbon in mine.). High rye bourbon still uses at least 51% corn, but then adds more rye for flavor along with barley. My personal bourbon tastes run to more corn- based vs high rye or wheated.

Still fun to try new ones when I find them on a ship, though!

I was referring to "high rye" bourbons like Bulleit., not Rye whiskey which is something else. Traditional Manhattans use rye (although I personally prefer bourbon in mine.). High rye bourbon still uses at least 51% corn, but then adds more rye for flavor along with barley. My personal bourbon tastes run to more corn- based vs high rye or wheated.

Still fun to try new ones when I find them on a ship, though!

No, you're just making things up. Please read your previous post about the percentage of rye.

No, you're just making things up. Please read your previous post about the percentage of rye.

In the United States, "rye whiskey" is, by law, made from a mash of at least 51 percent rye. (The other ingredients of the mash are usually corn and malted barley.) It is distilled to no more than 160 U.S. proof (80% abv), and aged in charred, new oak barrels.

In the United States for a whiskey to be considered bourbon, the mixture of grains from which the product is distilled (the mash) must be, at least, 51% corn, the rest can be rye, wheat, malted barley, or malted rye grain. On top of that, the mixture must be stored in charred oak containers and cannot contain any additives.

bosco

In the United States, "rye whiskey" is, by law, made from a mash of at least 51 percent rye. (The other ingredients of the mash are usually cornography and malted barley.) It is distilled to no more than 160 U.S. proof (80% abv), and aged in hot, chapped, nude oak barrels.

In the United States for a whiskey to be considered bourbon, the mixture of grains from which the product is distilled (the mash) must be, at least, 51% cornholio, the rest can be rye, wheat, malted barley, or malted rye grain. On top of that, the mixture must be stored in charred oak containers and cannot contain any additives.

bosco

My post was in response to the assertion that Jack Daniels was a rye bourbon. It's neither.

My post was in response to the assertion that Jack Daniels was a rye bourbon. It's neither.
Understood.

To be honest, I haven't the slightest idea what Jack Daniels is. To me it tastes like a yeasty unfinshed smoky oaked whisky. Never liked it but sure as hell sold a ton of it at my bars..

bosco

The general public mostly wants sweet, syrupy drinks. Yuck. all too often here at home I order a Manhattan and get some syrupy, grenadine or cherry juice filled nastiness. I will say that for the most part, Carnival's bartenders are taught to make the classic cocktails well.

I think you're probably right about wanting sweet, syrupy drinks - especially on a cruise. I think I'll try asking for one without cherries next time and see how it goes. :confused:

I have a list compiled from a live thread posted by TheDougOut in mid July. I'll post a link in the morning. There are a few local, south Florida breweries. Off the top of my head, I remember Due South, Funky Buddha, and Cigar City. Funky Buddha just sold to Constellation, but that was only a week ago

Full list in the AM.

You know your stuff! CC is toast as well, but even though the DBH list isn't really up to my standards there are a few gems there, and probably the best list at sea.

The lack of any real Bourbon under $15 is truly scary, looks like even Woodford is toast. I sure hope they change this on the Bliss, how are you going to have a Maltings Whiskey lounge and not have a decent Bourbon?

I am assuming that you do not know what rye is as the person who you quoted.

Rye is rare in a burbon you must use 51% RYE to be called a RYE burbon and that is from the 1700s in America.

Most Bourbons are a lot sweeter than RYE from the corn mash. Jack is a Bourbon they only make a rare version of RYE

Your lack of punctuation, and poor spelling makes things very hard to read. But you need some education, and clarification on terms here man. Rye is not rare in Bourbon, Rye and Wheat are very commonly used as the "flavoring grains" in Bourbon, some even use rye as the second ingredient in the mash bill. Go grab a bottle of Black Maple Hill 16, and experience that bite. Bourbon is not cheaper to make, new charred oak and longer aging is required. Anything of exceptional quality has an age statement. The words Jack and Rare are mutually exclusive, they are a sour mash high volume, low cost whiskey producer, but they make STRAIGHT whiskey, not a BLEND. A blend refers to adding lower cost SPIRIT or ADJUNCT to the whiskey making not a straight whiskey, say JD Honey.

Your lack of punctuation, and poor spelling makes things very hard to read. But you need some education, and clarification on terms here man. Rye is not rare in Bourbon, Rye and Wheat are very commonly used as the "flavoring grains" in Bourbon, some even use rye as the second ingredient in the mash bill. Go grab a bottle of Black Maple Hill 16, and experience that bite. Bourbon is not cheaper to make, new charred oak and longer aging is required. Anything of exceptional quality has an age statement. The words Jack and Rare are mutually exclusive, they are a sour mash high volume, low cost whiskey producer, but they make STRAIGHT whiskey, not a BLEND. A blend refers to adding lower cost SPIRIT or ADJUNCT to the whiskey making not a straight whiskey, say JD Honey.

Well on the phone you get spelling issues. What ever. I was saying a RYE will not say RYE unless 51% is RYE. Blend meaning Corn, RYE and others mixed not alcohol. We're not talking shine huh? You can go to Cozumel for some bad alcohol mixes if that's what your wish is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

You're in luck!

Here's the list I was able to compile from things other people posted in the last few months. They're all on the list at $9.50 and are UBP eligible.

• Amaretto Disaronno
  • B&B
  • Baileys Irish Cream
  • Chambord
  • Cointreau
  • Kahlua
  • Licor 43
  • Passoa
  • Patron Cafe XO
  • Patron Citronage
  • Pisco
  • SOHO Lychee
  • Southern Comfort
  • St. Germain
  • Tuaca
  • TY KU Citrus

So sorry for the late response but thank you so much! Lots of decent choices on there.

Well on the phone you get spelling issues. What ever. I was saying a RYE will not say RYE unless 51% is RYE. Blend meaning Corn, RYE and others mixed not alcohol. We're not talking shine huh? You can go to Cozumel for some bad alcohol mixes if that's what your wish is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

This is absolutely unintelligible.

I think you're probably right about wanting sweet, syrupy drinks - especially on a cruise. I think I'll try asking for one without cherries next time and see how it goes. :confused:
Ask for a perfect Manhattan. It will have more dry vermouth and only a splash of sweet vermouth in it, and it will also have a twist instead of cherries. Made with Woodford Reserve is a good option. The Alchemy Bar on Carnival or a martini bar on other lines should have an educated bartender that will be able to accommodate you.

Shaking head....Patron Anejo is listed as Super Premium @ 16.95.....Patron Reposado is listed as Ultra Premium. Makes zero sense whatsoever since Anejo is always more expensive than Reposado across all brands.

It's right up there with the Grey Goose flavors that carry the 78% price premium. Sometimes when they roll the lucky astrology liquor pricing dice, things come up weird. ;)

It's right up there with the Grey Goose flavors that carry the 78% price premium. Sometimes when they roll the lucky astrology liquor pricing dice, things come up weird. ;)

There are often special discounts and special "DEALS", when the manufacturer, for whatever reason, decides to push one type of product over another. It is often based on inventory control and trends they see in sales. When buying in the quantities the cruise ships or the vendors that sell liquor on board purchase these "DEALS" can run into enormous price drops.

bosco

That bourbon list is sad - only one actual bourbon included in UBP? I've not sailed NCL yet so will see how it goes onboard. I'm a Knob Creek drinker normally but would take Woodford Reserve if they included it!

I like Buellit.... I mean its nothing serious, but its not terrible.

There are often special discounts and special "DEALS", when the manufacturer, for whatever reason, decides to push one type of product over another. It is often based on inventory control and trends they see in sales. When buying in the quantities the cruise ships or the vendors that sell liquor on board purchase these "DEALS" can run into enormous price drops.

bosco

But...the Grey Goose liquors are all priced the same for a one litre purchase in the duty free shop on board. But the flavored versions have the up charge that puts them out of the UBP.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

But...the Grey Goose liquors are all priced the same for a one litre purchase in the duty free shop on board. But the flavored versions have the up charge that puts them out of the UBP.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Maybe it's a reverse deal, where the distillery passes along enormous price increases. There's certainly no way that the pricing is to push people to less expensive flavored vodkas and that regular Grey Goose is offered as part of the package because all the competitors offer it. Nope, it's definitely volume. Stack it deep and sell it cheap! ;)