UBP Changes August 2017 - Premium Spirits

megacruiser

But...the Grey Goose liquors are all priced the same for a one litre purchase in the duty free shop on board. But the flavored versions have the up charge that puts them out of the UBP.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

I am not sure about other lines, but I know that the shops selling liquor on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean are outside vendors. I don't know if they do or do not pay the same per hundred cases of Grey Goose or other brands because of deals such as mix and match for different flavors but I am sure there s a difference just like the difference buying a bottle at a liquor store or at a bar. State, local, federal taxes and duty free laws are all part of what is the pricing structure in the ships stores and bars.

bosco

Hi All

I just love this thread........an education!!

Thought I had tried Bourbon a time or two. Now I'm not so sure. Loved reading all the posts about what is and what is not.

"THOSE GOOD OLD BOYS DRINKING WHISKEY AND RYE" what were they really drinking I wonder!!

We have our own struggles. Bushmills versus Jameson. Laphroig versus Glenfiddich,

Whiskey versus Whisky.

I'd love to sit down with y'all and savour the nose before the flavour.

Thanks to all for such a great thread.

Off in a few weeks on the Epic and then March Jade in Caribbean and April Transatlantic with HAL

I'll drink to you all.....thanks for the fun.

Deeko

Thanks for the pics/feedback.

It amazes me that NCL can't get it "right" (some semblance of pricing relative to actual costs). I see the Maker's and Basil Hayden are absent, so it will be more than 16.95; hilarious.

Looks like in the next year, the wines could be pared down to (1) white and (1) red.

This all good because it's all FREE :eek:

just be glad there is a UBP and we don't have to anti up everytime we want to indulge. I doubt you are going to see only 1 each of wines. but of course I am sure you are commenting, tongue in cheek!!:p:p

Just wondering if anyone on the breakaway recently noticed these changes, were on in November and was already looking for an alternative for dark and stormys since they were over the limit, but it looks like they're back within the limit! Or is it just a European thing how menus got changed only for that ship.... So many questions??!!

Just wondering if anyone on the breakaway recently noticed these changes, were on in November and was already looking for an alternative for dark and stormys since they were over the limit, but it looks like they're back within the limit! Or is it just a European thing how menus got changed only for that ship.... So many questions??!!

I spoke with the Beverage Manager on the Jade. She advised me that the changes were fleet-wide.

Ask for a perfect Manhattan. It will have more dry vermouth and only a splash of sweet vermouth in it, and it will also have a twist instead of cherries. Made with Woodford Reserve is a good option. The Alchemy Bar on Carnival or a martini bar on other lines should have an educated bartender that will be able to accommodate you.

Spot on SNJ! This is my goto drink after sampling many bourbon, whiskey, whisky, cocktails over the past several years.

My goto at home is a Perfect Maker's Mark Manhattan (I know it's a "wheated" bourbon), with a bit more "dry vermouth' versus "sweet vermouth" and bitters as you stated and just a twist for garnish. Fughetabout the cherry or cherry-juice/crushed-cherry! :p

My second place FAV is a Rittenhouse Manhattan (True Straight Rye Whiskey bottled in "bond" at 100 proof). Little bit of Antica Formula sweet vermouth and dash of bitters (Anostura) and I'm in true Manhattan bliss :)

Edited by Warm-Water Diver

Bulleit and Woodford are two great cocktail whiskeys, try a perfect Manhattan with Bulleit rye.

Do they even have Bulleit Rye? I know the regular Bulleit Bourbon is on the list, but I didn't see the rye.

Do they even have Bulleit Rye? I know the regular Bulleit Bourbon is on the list, but I didn't see the rye.

I'm pretty sure that's what I had on my last Escape Cruise; at least at the Tobacco Road bar (which is supposed to be the "whiskey" or "whisky" bar on the Escape)

My home stock pictured featuring: Rittenhouse Rye, Maker's Mark (Cask Strength and Regular), Sazerac Rye and the prize possession: WHISTLEPIG RYE :p

194739543_LiquorShelf2.jpg.706f8af18e1f941ebf2510df6de744a3.jpg

Edited by Warm-Water Diver

I'm pretty sure that's what I had on my last Escape Cruise; at least at the Tobacco Road bar (which is supposed to be the "whiskey" or "whisky" bar on the Escape)

My home stock pictured featuring: Rittenhouse Rye, Maker's Mark (Cask Strength and Regular), Sazerac Rye and the prize possession: WHISTLEPIG RYE :p

I love the respect of the underlighting! I'm a big Maker's fan, myself.

It's rare to see Bulleit without both expressions, Bliss has Maltings aboard, and it's just a Whiskey lounge on Bliss, because they also have a District brew house. I see myself spending a lot of time between Maltings and the cigar lounge. Warm-Water Diver, have you ever made a perfect with Rye instead of Bourbon? it's magical. How nice is that Whistle Pig, right! have you ever had a dram of the Boss Hog?

It's rare to see Bulleit without both expressions, Bliss has Maltings aboard, and it's just a Whiskey lounge on Bliss, because they also have a District brew house. I see myself spending a lot of time between Maltings and the cigar lounge. Warm-Water Diver, have you ever made a perfect with Rye instead of Bourbon? it's magical. How nice is that Whistle Pig, right! have you ever had a dram of the Boss Hog?

I guess I'll know in a few weeks. I have a bit of an allergy problem with rye whiskeys, so I don't generally seek them out.

My favorite Manhattan variation lately is the Vieux Carre (pronounced "Vocaray" like they say it in New Orleans). 3/4 ounce each rye, sweet vermouth, cognac, plus 1 teaspoon Benedictine and dash each of Angostura and Peychaud's bitters. You can make it with bourbon instead of rye, but I think rye stands its own a little better.

• 2 weeks later...
Even if they institute a daily limit like Carnival (15 per day), I think we will be ok. Maybe they will expand what is included and then put a limit (15/day or so).

Please no. Friend was on Carnival, went through his 15, had to have his wife use one of her drinks for him. No he wasn't hammered, drinks Coors Light and well...

I am assuming that you do not know what rye is as the person who you quoted.

Rye is rare in a burbon you must use 51% RYE to be called a RYE burbon and that is from the 1700s in America.

Most Bourbons are a lot sweeter than RYE from the corn mash. Jack is a Bourbon they only make a rare version of RYE

Another reason I wouldn't want them to change is that on our last cruise more than a few times, whether I or my wife ordered, my MYERS and coke, came out as RYE and coke.