Cruising becoming unaffordable...my perspective

cowboygene

We live on Maui and our vacations can be quite expensive due to airfare from Hawaii. However, cruising helps us lower the overall cost of the trip. Here's a breakdown of our upcoming trip to Sydney:

Airfare to SYD: free, using miles on Hawaiian. 4 one ways in coach. Return on Jetstar-$410 per person ($1640)

One night at Holiday Inn SYD: $110 USD (Friends and Family Rate)

Cruise: Mini-suite on NCL Jewel for 4 with bev package and 3/4 sail free: $3,800 USD for 9 nights

Airbnb for additional 9 nts in Sydney is $2,700 USD

Estimated Food & Beverage in SYD (many self catered) $900

Sightseeing $2,000 budget

Estimated Total cost: $9,340 for family of four on a 19 night vacation. That's $122 per person per day. Not too shabby!

By the way: just a round trip flight on Hawaiian to Sydney is about $1200 per person in coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Strewth I'm paying nearly triple that for the Holiday Inn.

The cruise lines are making more profits than all of us put together.

Borrowing money (credit card debt) to pay for a cruise is foolhardy and can lead to a debt trap.

One should enjoy financial freedom first, then plan any vacation

Cruising has become more expensive but I've noticed the price hike with ncl more than most. I cruise every year just not with ncl anymore. I found this post because I was wondering if anyone else thought their prices have become expensive. I look all of the time at their pricing but always end up choosing a different line. I enjoyed all my ncl cruising but their price point is too high for me.

I cruise balcony cabins but most of the time for the itinerary I'm looking at for an inside cabin price from ncl I can get a balcony cabin with carnival, princess, celebrity, msc, and royal on at least one of their ships when I book a cruise. The inside cabins and oceanview cabins on the other lines are way more affordable then ncl. Even their old ships are priced too high in my opinion.

These opinions are only my own. Some may think they are very affordable but for my recent April 2017, 8 night cruise with a different line that was not msc or carnival I was able to book a balcony cabin for two for around $1300 total for both parties. You can't find deals like that for ncl anymore.

I'm looking for another cruise right now for 2018. I already have my 2019 one booked with royal and I was able to find an aft balcony cabin on freedom of the seas for a 7 night cruise for under $1560 total for 2 people. NCL can't even get close to that price.

My next cruise is in October is with Carnival, my first one with them. I've enjoyed trying the other lines that I can still affordable.

We are doing the same thing. We have only ever sailed with NCL, but we are finding there is better value with other lines. We have booked another Escape cruise in Feb, but then we will be changing to cheaper, comparable cruise lines or moving back to all-inclusives.

We are doing the same thing. We have only ever sailed with NCL, but we are finding there is better value with other lines. We have booked another Escape cruise in Feb, but then we will be changing to cheaper, comparable cruise lines or moving back to all-inclusives.

I absolutely 100% agree that NCL is not the cheapest lines. I have gotten better prices on X and RCL depending on the time of the year. Brand loyalty is dumb imo.

We are locked in to certain vacation dates each year. Airfare is a HUGE budget killer for us and we always drive to the US for cheaper flights. For our next trip, we compared AIs in DR, Cuba and Mexico.(including flights) It is still cheaper for us to cruise.This time. Who knows what it will be like another time.

I do find that the earlier I start looking, the better the deal. I have no brand loyalty, I too am loyal to my wallet.