Cruising becoming unaffordable...my perspective

cowboygene

I too think that cruising is becoming too expensive, especially for those of us outside of the US. We used to go to Bermuda on the Spirit or Dawn from Boston for about $2000 in a balcony cabin. Now, it's over $2000 per person in a balcony room! Most balconies, when you look at the Canadian site, are roughly $1800 pp, then you have to factor in airfare of $1500-2000 for two, and you can see how it really build up. We always fly in a day before the cruise, so there are hotel costs, meals, etc as well. Our research indicates it is far cheaper to go to an all inclusive, where airfare and the week would be roughly $4000 or less.

We really love cruising, but I fear this one in February will be our last for a while as we explore other alternatives that give us great value for a cheaper cost.

IMHO it is all subjective on what you want out of your vacation. I have 2 cruise vacations coming up. One in September on NCL Escape and one in October on CCL Fantasy. Both are 8 night vacations for 2 adults. NCL Escape includes 7 night Eastern Cruise with UBP/4 SDP, balcony room, 1 night hotel, and 2 RT airline tickets. Cost of the cruise is $2,285. Expected total cost of the vacation $3,610. $225.63 pp/pd.

CCL Fantasy includes 5 night Western Cruise, PH room, 3 nights hotel, rental car, parking, and food for non-cruise days. Cost of the cruise is $558. Expected total cost of the vacation $2,254. $140.88 pp/pd.

Our first cruise was in 2001 a 3 night Disney Wonder (inside room) and 4 night Disney World package for 4. Our 2nd cruise was in 2004 a 7 night Disney Magic (OV) with 1 night hotel. Both were for 4 people (2 adults/2 children) and included air fare. Both vacations cost a total of approx. $4500 each trip. Basically I find the more flexible I am with my time and my wants the more affordable I can make a cruise, or any vacation, be.

I too think that cruising is becoming too expensive, especially for those of us outside of the US. We used to go to Bermuda on the Spirit or Dawn from Boston for about $2000 in a balcony cabin. Now, it's over $2000 per person in a balcony room! Most balconies, when you look at the Canadian site, are roughly $1800 pp, then you have to factor in airfare of $1500-2000 for two, and you can see how it really build up. We always fly in a day before the cruise, so there are hotel costs, meals, etc as well. Our research indicates it is far cheaper to go to an all inclusive, where airfare and the week would be roughly $4000 or less.

We really love cruising, but I fear this one in February will be our last for a while as we explore other alternatives that give us great value for a cheaper cost.

Unfortunately I think all of New England caught on to the Boston to Bermuda cruises so supply and demand kicked in. We did it about 5 years ago and loved it, and you can't beat not having to pay airfare (insert jealousy of Florida residents here).

Now I can pretty much fly to Florida and cruise for about the same amount of money.

A *lot* of schools have started taking off all of Columbus Day week for a fall break. As a result, airfare (especially in the NE) is super expensive that week and cruise prices have gone up as well. Spring break is often different weeks at different schools, but Columbus Day week seems to be the universal fall break week. Just like travel between xmas and NYE is crazy expensive even though the weather isn't great, don't expect Columbus Day week to be affordable as long as it's such a popular time off.

I started cruising in the early 2000s when a 7 day January cruise could be had for $299 per person! But the economy was bad and people weren't really taking vacations.

SOOO much depends on where you want to travel to and what your expectations are in terms of food, service, beverages, entertainment, tours etc. The only place we found where it is less expensive and still provides luxurious services compared to cruise lines is Southeast Asia (which is why we were actually alternate vacations between cruises and Thailand/Indonesia/Laos/Vietnam. On the other hand in terms of wear and tear on the traveler, nothing beats a cruise ship. Even on a recent first class trip to Vietnam, where we had five star hotels in the car, driver, and guide it Still meant constant packing and unpacking. In land arrangements, we tend to eat in local restaurants and Street stalls (no ultra fancy preparations but sometimes mind-boggling flavors-often for $10-$15 for dinner for the two of us.) But those vacations although immensely pleasurable are work. Cruising is pure relaxing joy - maybe a bit less so in court intensive itineraries where we've never been before but still nothing like arranging hotels, cars, trains, etc. Thankfully, if you have enough time off,you can do both!

I totally agree. My wife cruises only because I like to cruise. She prefers road trips and she does all of the driving, I navigate. I tell her I love cruising not so much for the ports. Living in Florida and sailing from Florida I have been to most ports from Florida way too many times.

I love cruising because it is so convenient from Florida and once you are on the ship the vacation has begun. It is all laid out for you. Your accommodations, your transportation, your restaurants, bars, and entertainment. You can do as little or as much as you want to. You never wake up having to pack, grab a quick breakfast and have to map out the next leg of your journey and do it all over again (except debarkation day, which I hate).

I totally agree. My wife cruises only because I like to cruise. She prefers road trips and she does all of the driving, I navigate. I tell her I love cruising not so much for the ports. Living in Florida and sailing from Florida I have been to most ports from Florida way too many times.

I love cruising because it is so convenient from Florida and once you are on the ship the vacation has begun. It is all laid out for you. Your accommodations, your transportation, your restaurants, bars, and entertainment. You can do as little or as much as you want to. You never wake up having to pack, grab a quick breakfast and have to map out the next leg of your journey and do it all over again (except debarkation day, which I hate).

I would cruise A LOT if I lived in Florida!

I would cruise A LOT if I lived in Florida!

Exactly. We are both 60 and thank God healthy. We planned and saved for retirement so we are doing pretty good financially.

We live in central Florida. We both like to gamble, we budget for it. NCL really treats their gamblers well. We pretty much have a "free" inside cabin anytime we want it.

Before anyone starts with the "it is not free, you pay for it at the tables", we have been taking gambling vacations for over 30 years. We are going to gamble whether here locally at the Hard Rock or Biloxi, so to us they are "free" because we would gamble even if we didn't get anything comped.

Okay, in my long winded way we do cruise about four times a year but according to my wife that is way to much. She wants to road trip to the southeast USA.

Oh well all the stress of retirement:cool::cool::cool:

We do both land based and cruise vacations. cost is not always the decider. Yes, we have noticed the Hugh hike in NCL fares and AGAIN increase in DSC and removing all inclusive Drink and dinner perk for Suites. For one of our cruises, it would be $1,200 more for those gratuities.

We can go to Club Med in Mexico for 2 weeks (all inclusive) ocean front room and fly first class for what a 7 day cruise costs us. Each is a different experience.

Cruising is convient for us to unpack once and see different ports and countries.

Club Med is totally relaxation and indulgence.

Each has its pro and cons.

Cruise fares, gratuties, excursions, incidentals, air fare, airport parking, transfers, add up to a very expensive vacation, especially when traveling with a family

I know that many cruises are sold out and the bean counters are ordering new ships with additional capacity, but, for the average Joe Sixpack like myself, the total costs are becoming prohibitive.

I'm also considering the value proposition of what we receive in exchange for our money...cutbacks and reductions in service, same tired old ports, lead up to a diminishing experience.

Now, I have cruised many times, I intend to cruise again, but, for many folks the cruise vacation is becoming out of reach.

Just my opinion

As a Canadian, I can go to 4 star AIs with the flight included for the same price as a balcony room (family of 3) and then have to add flights to Florida.

But I really like cruising, I love the entertainment, I love the variety of each day. I like the fact the ship can change course due to bad weather. I don't drink much and the wine on the ship (or that I bought) is better than what's served at an AI.

I have to travel during school holidays for a few more years. So I am thinking of giving up the balcony next time to save some money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Prices have been trending up but so has everything else. My last trip to one of the top FL beaches cost me $180 a night for the condo plus out of pocket for all food and activities making a cruise seem a bargain.

But don't forget, the condo is per night, the cruise is per person.

You still can sail Dawn for under two G's.

Today's Deal on NCL.Com

S2 guestsDEPARTURE DATESSeptember 08 - 15, 2017Friday - FridaySTATEROOM TYPEBalconySTATEROOM CATEGORY Sail Away BalconySTATEROOM NUMBER Guarantee RATE SELECTEDNorwegian Rate

Summary of Charges

TOTAL 2 GUESTS $ 1,498.00 GOV'T TAXES, FEES & PORT EXPENSES $373.72

Prices are shown in USD unless otherwise noted.

TOTAL $ 1,871 72

Personally I think it's becoming more affordable.

I've done one itinerary numerous times.

First time in 2004, last time 2016.

2016 cost less than 2004 (only about $100 less) in the same time my hourly pay more than doubled.

2004 was a balcony guarantee, 2016 was a Mid ship balcony. My soda package went from $6.86 a day to $7.00 a day, specialty restaurant from $20 ea to $29 ea. 2004 had tips added, 2916 had them included, 2016 had a bit of OBC, 2004 none.

Obviously. Most of the cruises I take are still less than that. The next one works out to 85pp per night. Also, every other expense such as 3 meals a day of food and entertainment will also be per person. That can easily add another $75 - $100pp in my experience.

maybe I am misunderstanding but that is what the poster is saying: $180 a night, plus the cost of meals, etc. This would make cruising a better deal or at least that is what I think is being said.

For some, I am sure land vacation might be a better use of their money, I still when we take everything into consideration cruising is a good value.

I was able to get a 10 night cruise and rt air for two people for 2300.00. That's 115 pp per day. I don't think that's too bad considering it includes most everything. My DIL thinks that Disney is the BEST value around...Somehow I can't warrant spending four grand for two people for 7 nights, not including your food or airfare and spending your time waiting for bus' to take you around to the parks and not even including food, except, if by chance you can get the dining included. But spending 8 to 12 hours a day on my feet in the heat can't even come close to a relaxing balcony with the sea breeze and a cocktail.

:rolleyes: My feet hurt just thinking about it. I just can't anymore. I'd be very irate.

To the OP, I get it. You do you.

Helpful hints: Don't book excursions. Sneak alcohol on. Don't buy bags of crap to lug back home. fly into the airport the night before and sleep in the airport w/o booking a hotel if you really need to pinch pennies.

That alone will save you hundreds, and that is how they get you really. I've cruised before too....so I see them coming a mile away. Not hard to avoid when done correctly....on the other hand, I sail with someone who almost always fails victim to these marketing strategies. I have to reel that person in as they are salivating to spend that money.

:rolleyes: My feet hurt just thinking about it. I just can't anymore. I'd be very irate.

To the OP, I get it. You do you.

Helpful hints: Don't book excursions. Sneak alcohol on. Don't buy bags of crap to lug back home. fly into the airport the night before and sleep in the airport w/o booking a hotel if you really need to pinch pennies.

That alone will save you hundreds, and that is how they get you really. I've cruised before too....so I see them coming a mile away. Not hard to avoid when done correctly....on the other hand, I sail with someone who almost always fails victim to these marketing strategies. I have to reel that person in as they are salivating to spend that money.

Very interesting! Any more tips and advice?

Very interesting! Any more tips and advice?

Not really. There are other tips, but they are a hassle or are mere coincidences. Go to art shows for free alcohol. You can remove tipping when you get off the ship. Booking during hurricane season for lower prices. And if there is a hurricane, stay on the ship and you get free extra nights.

There are other things that happened to me that were accidents but could easily be replicated if you were unscrupulous. but I won't spell it out. If others want to go for it

As a Canadian, cruising the Mediterranean is the best value for me. The only real extra cost versus a USA land based vacation is the airfare. I'm doing a 11 night cruise out of Rome with 9 days pre/post cruise approx $5500us. My 20 day trip to Vegas, Disneyland, and Palm Springs golf this spring cost way more than that. Hawaii with sightseeing is crazy expensive as well. I'm not a beach guy so have avoided AI but they run close to $2000us a week from Canada for 2 as well.

I'm a bargain hunter & DIY guy whenever possible and all my (signature) trips have been in the $250-$300us per couple per day.

$125-$150us per person but DW is not going to stay home As you can tell from my signature, I'm not loyal to any cruise line, just my wallet.

I love the challenge of planning a Europe trip and the educational aspect of it. There'll come a day when I'll have to slow down but while I can, I will.

Interesting perspectives. I can only travel as a family during summer vacation due to kids and their schedules. I went back to look over our family cruises to see how prices have changed. Now, we have only cruised Carnival but prices seem to be fairly similar.

cruise cost including port fees, taxes, prepaid gratuities only:

2011 Carnival Dream 7 days 5 people (1 balcony, 1 inside) $6389.99 ($1278 pp)

2013 Carnival Breeze 8 days 4 people (1 balcony) $2674.28 ($669 pp)

2015 Carnival Breeze 8 days 4 people (1 balcony) $3420.44 ($855 pp)

2016 Carnival Vista 10 days 4 people (1 balcony) $4454.00 ($1114 pp)

2018 Carnival Vista 8 days 4 people (1 balcony) $5202.40 ($1301 pp)

So our most expensive cruise is not in the past but in the future. The above does not include all the other aspects of travel such as airfare, hotel, food, sightseeing, on board purchases, etc. It seems to be a trend and one of the reasons we are planning a land trip in 2019. To Europe for 3 weeks for 3 people. Where we can be all in for about $10,000.

Thank you, OP, for starting this interesting thread. I agree that costs have gone up. IMHO it's due to several factors.

1) The new ships offer extra bling activities like zip lines and ropes courses.

2) The new ships have loads of specialty restaurants that are prime for nickel and diming.

3) The "free" perks have driven up prices by calling them "free" but raising the rates.

4) Demand- Take Alaska. When we started cruising Alaska each year in 2010, we could get a stateroom for around $500. Now that same stateroom is going for $900! And people are paying it because it's become such a popular destination.

On the flip side, we can cruise Europe much more affordably than years ago. In fact, our airfare sometimes costs more than our cruise!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Cruising has become more expensive but I've noticed the price hike with ncl more than most. I cruise every year just not with ncl anymore. I found this post because I was wondering if anyone else thought their prices have become expensive. I look all of the time at their pricing but always end up choosing a different line. I enjoyed all my ncl cruising but their price point is too high for me.

I cruise balcony cabins but most of the time for the itinerary I'm looking at for an inside cabin price from ncl I can get a balcony cabin with carnival, princess, celebrity, msc, and royal on at least one of their ships when I book a cruise. The inside cabins and oceanview cabins on the other lines are way more affordable then ncl. Even their old ships are priced too high in my opinion.

These opinions are only my own. Some may think they are very affordable but for my recent April 2017, 8 night cruise with a different line that was not msc or carnival I was able to book a balcony cabin for two for around $1300 total for both parties. You can't find deals like that for ncl anymore.

I'm looking for another cruise right now for 2018. I already have my 2019 one booked with royal and I was able to find an aft balcony cabin on freedom of the seas for a 7 night cruise for under $1560 total for 2 people. NCL can't even get close to that price.

My next cruise is in October is with Carnival, my first one with them. I've enjoyed trying the other lines that I can still affordable.

Edited by Siora7777

We live on Maui and our vacations can be quite expensive due to airfare from Hawaii. However, cruising helps us lower the overall cost of the trip. Here's a breakdown of our upcoming trip to Sydney:

Airfare to SYD: free, using miles on Hawaiian. 4 one ways in coach. Return on Jetstar-$410 per person ($1640)

One night at Holiday Inn SYD: $110 USD (Friends and Family Rate)

Cruise: Mini-suite on NCL Jewel for 4 with bev package and 3/4 sail free: $3,800 USD for 9 nights

Airbnb for additional 9 nts in Sydney is $2,700 USD

Estimated Food & Beverage in SYD (many self catered) $900

Sightseeing $2,000 budget

Estimated Total cost: $9,340 for family of four on a 19 night vacation. That's $122 per person per day. Not too shabby!

By the way: just a round trip flight on Hawaiian to Sydney is about $1200 per person in coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums