Cruising becoming unaffordable...my perspective

cowboygene

Thanks for taking the time for this reply! Funny, I AM on the 10/14 sailing. Why is that one so high?!? This will definitely be our most expensive vacation EVER, and we have been on some really nice vacations. Oh well, I am really looking forward to it. It's just funny, I hear people say all the time, "Cruises are so cheap!" Ummmm....not the NCL cruises I have taken/will be taking, ha! I am leaving my DH in the dark on how much this one is, he would die if he knew what it was up to including excursions, etc. I never lie about it, but if he doesn't ask, I don't share, ha! Sometimes I just say trust me, it's all good. And we always have GREAT vacations.

LOL - what he don't know won't hurt him!! :). No idea why the one you are on is soo much more...maybe kids vacation break in some parts of the country?? My kids are off a few days at the end of the month so that was the dates I was focusing on when looking. Honestly, I would still call. The balcony's are listed at $100 less then you paid and the ocean views are $250. I would tell them what you were told (that ocean views were higher which is why you booked the balcony in the first place and now with the "free taxes" specials you really feel like you got the short end of the stick on this. I would then tell them you want to know exactly what the pricing would be to cancel and rebook (both at the balcony or the ocean view staterooms) so you can make an informed decision on how you want to handle - worst case it is more for the balcony and not worth it to go down to the ocean view...but even then they may just give you some OBC because they feel bad about the situation.

We leave on the escape this Saturday....so excited, can't wait to see it!!! :).

I think a lot of people have an October fall break... we went to Disney World one year the week of Columbus Day, and it was inexplicably packed. That might be why your October sailing costs so much. A lot also depends on how full the ship is when you book. Maybe that week is popular with people from other countries (Brazil, England, etc.) due to when they traditionally go on holiday.

That would be my luck, ha! Who knew hurricane season would be so costly, ha! ;p

I find this discussion interesting. Everyone has a different perspective. DH and i are going on our first NCL cruise in January. 11 days on the Dawn for what amounts to $125 per person per day. That includes the daily service charge and the service/gratuity for the drink package. I am quite happy with that. Yes it is an inside cabin - no we don't mind an inside cabin. we likely will not do any ship excursions. but will enjoy ourselves in port and on the ship.

If a person really wants to watch their money I recommend buying a popup camper. It is a great experience that will really bring your family together. Force yourself and your kids to disconnect. Play board games in the evening hike, swim, fish and site see during the day. It will force you and your children to spend quality time with each other. It will also teach your children how do things on a serious budget. If they absolutely hate it, camping will make them appreciate all the creature comforts they have when they get home. Me personally I think it would be good for everyone to disconnect and converse around a campfire once in awhile.

I was able to get a 10 night cruise and rt air for two people for 2300.00. That's 115 pp per day. I don't think that's too bad considering it includes most everything. My DIL thinks that Disney is the BEST value around...Somehow I can't warrant spending four grand for two people for 7 nights, not including your food or airfare and spending your time waiting for bus' to take you around to the parks and not even including food, except, if by chance you can get the dining included. But spending 8 to 12 hours a day on my feet in the heat can't even come close to a relaxing balcony with the sea breeze and a cocktail.

Years ago we had a bunch of wild fires here in Florida. Disney gave us firefighters free admission to every park and half price on food and hotels. This went on for two months. Even then I felt it was way overpriced.

“cutbacks and reductions in service, same tired old ports”

It looks like you’re looking for a change.

IMO the increase in cruise line industry has been reasonable. Whereas prices in the airline industry have increased considerably.

Economical cruising boils down to research and flexibility.

My Caribbean cruises are cheaper now than they were in the 90’s. Of course my perspective is different. I don’t need the midnight buffets. The internet has really changed the game in getting good prices.

Edited by Cruise4Twos

I went to Alabama for a week each January when my Son lived down there. So now he moved up to Northern NY near us, I'm saving $2000.00. So I said we can spend 2000.00 on a cruise. This January we are sailing out of Baltimore for a 9 day cruise. Yes it is an older ship but its a good price for 9 days. and I can drive to the port. In 2019 I'm going on the NCL Bliss. To save money we are taking Amtrak from Albany, NY to Miami. Yes it is 30 hours on the train. will get there the night before and spend the night in Miami. Going home the train leaves at 3:15PM so can leave the same day. It will cost a little more but it is a new ship. I have over a year to save. I am retired so my funds are very limited.

Cruising is what I want to spend my vacation money on but I do think that the suites on NCL have become too expensive.

From Sweden we can get a week in Greece, hotel and transport (=cheap flight) for $500 and a week in Thailand can cost $1000. I prefer to pay $5000 and get a cruise but it is expensive, I think.

Nice to see someone from Sweden. My parents were from Sweden God Dag

We cruise to Alaska quite often as we do not have to plan ahead for airfare. We have found best prices 2-4 months before cruise. Of course, this was before the Bliss. it will be interesting to see what that does to all Alaska fares. Right now, Bliss is incredibly high for Alaska.

We also have a cruise planned that is a bucket list, once in a lifetime cruise. At first the price was shocking...we could buy a new car for what it will cost. But, thinking of flying to each port and hotel stays etc for 10 countries when we just unpack once and focus on exploring. It is worth the expense, (this time) for us. 5 years ago I would never have considered this type of cruise . But now both retired and we do not do much other traveling.

Cruise fares, gratuties, excursions, incidentals, air fare, airport parking, transfers, add up to a very expensive vacation, especially when traveling with a family

I know that many cruises are sold out and the bean counters are ordering new ships with additional capacity, but, for the average Joe Sixpack like myself, the total costs are becoming prohibitive.

I'm also considering the value proposition of what we receive in exchange for our money...cutbacks and reductions in service, same tired old ports, lead up to a diminishing experience.

Now, I have cruised many times, I intend to cruise again, but, for many folks the cruise vacation is becoming out of reach.

Just my opinion

I agree with you to a point, though I don't see the cutbacks and reductions that you and a lot of people claim exist. Cruise fares, gratuities, excursions, incidentals, air fare, airport parking, transfers, can add up to a very expensive vacation, especially when traveling with a family, but those things have always been there, and except for air fare have not really increased much in years, in fact when inflation is factored in most of them have actually gone down.

What hasn't changed is the same old same, old ports. There is no way to avoid them on the mass market lines. We are to the point that we know what we want to do in each port, which is usually grab a cab to a beach to snorkel, the only cost is usually the cab fare, but it can still get pricey.

We'll keep cruising, but there is a lot to be said for a land vacation that we can drive to and get a VRBO. A week doing that is usually less than the cost for one of us to cruise.

So, I took DH on a valentine's day weekend at a spa resort. When I looked at the final bill, I though, heck! We could have gone on a cruise! So, we tried a 3 nighter. I actually booked the owner's suite for his birthday. We found that the 3 nighter was okay (we would prefer longer, but he is hard pressed to get away from work for many days in a row), so I have booked another for this year. By the time you pay for food and entertainment on a land based vacation, the cruise usually comes out a better deal. Now if only I lived close enough to avoid the airfare!

...To save money we are taking Amtrak from Albany, NY to Miami. Yes it is 30 hours on the train. will get there the night before and spend the night in Miami. Going home the train leaves at 3:15PM so can leave the same day....

I have to say, with train travel, you are cutting it very close on getting to Miami. I'll give you an example of why I say this. We cruised in July on Celebrity out of Miami. As we were boarding, another couple boarding at the same time, was telling us how it had taken them 18 hrs on the train (Amtrak) to get from Orlando to Miami. Yep, you read that right, 18 hrs. Before they even left Orlando there were delays on the leg north of there so that delayed the train getting in and then of course leaving. Then, when they finally got going, there was an accident on the track ahead of them and they sat on the train without moving for I believe upwards of 4 hours, then were bused around the accident, then got on another train only for that one to have mechanical problems a short ways down the track. So back to a bus and that was the rest of the way in to Miami (with a stop at every crossroad town between there and Miami). No hotels were involved in this odyssey. They had gotten into Miami at 11a and come straight to the port. What a nightmare trip. I wish I could say this was a total fluke (which indeed it is on the high side of the "what could possibly go wrong" scale) however, our daughter and her husband, on their honeymoon last October, took the train from Savannah, Ga., to Miami and had unreal delays both leaving and during the ride down. They were over 6 hours late getting into Miami.

I only say all this to make you aware that train travel, specifically Amtrak train travel, can be very unpredictable. There aren't constant trains running up and down the line like with commuter trains. I would try to give myself at least two days on the Miami end before boarding the ship just in case.

Cruising is still a great cheap way to see the ports of the world. I spend a lot of time checking out cruises and prices on many lines, often it is getting to purchase a cabin at its lowest price by checking back after making a deposit. We have a 10 day cruise out of Singapore in February, inside cabin with Princess, for a total of $1,700 including port fees and taxes and prepaid gratuities. Would have been $2,400 as originally purchased, but caught a price drop and made a phone call and saved $700. Right now the total price would be about $3,600 with final payment in November. Royal Caribbean Cruise in April, 2019 now available, 23 days from Sidney through the South Pacific, overnight in Honolulu, ending in Seattle, inside cabin for two for $3,450 including port fees and taxes. We will be visiting friends in Australia, this is a great way to get back to North America. Much rather fly to NYC from Seattle rather than from Sidney.

Cruising is still a great cheap way to see the ports of the world. I spend a lot of time checking out cruises and prices on many lines, often it is getting to purchase a cabin at its lowest price by checking back after making a deposit. We have a 10 day cruise out of Singapore in February, inside cabin with Princess, for a total of $1,700 including port fees and taxes and prepaid gratuities. Would have been $2,400 as originally purchased, but caught a price drop and made a phone call and saved $700. Right now the total price would be about $3,600 with final payment in November. Royal Caribbean Cruise in April, 2019 now available, 23 days from Sidney through the South Pacific, overnight in Honolulu, ending in Seattle, inside cabin for two for $3,450 including port fees and taxes. We will be visiting friends in Australia, this is a great way to get back to North America. Much rather fly to NYC from Seattle rather than from Sidney.

Very interesting and informative!

Kindly tell us how you check and get the best value deals. Thanks

"cutbacks and reductions"

cut - Midnight buffet - I always thought it was a waste - I also like some ships compensated with 24 hr spots for the night owls

reduced - cleaning the room from twice to once a day - That's the 1st thing I noticed. I didn't need the room cleaned per say but it's nice to get the towels replaced twice a day. I try to ask for extra washcloths.

reduced - dinner courses - soup and salad are combined instead of separate courses - You can still order both

cut - free toiletries - travel size - shampoo, conditioner, lotion each day like the hotels - I can deal with this as well

Some ships used to have a captain's night for all passengers with appetizers and free alcoholic drinks (not that more food is needed). Now this is only for club members.

There may be others

Edited by Cruise4Twos

I was accustomed to traveling very nicely and at great rates during much of my adult life. There was a several year period when people were afraid to travel certain places or the economy was poor and so deals on vacations were plenty. Then a couple years ago the economy recovered. At first I was angry. I thought these corporations will simply go out of business charging twice the price for half the product. And the luxury vacations I had become accustomed to affording were all of a sudden insanely priced. But... as time went on my love of travel didn't wane and I succumbed to the increase in pricing. I try to cut back whenever possible and I'm always on the lookout for a deal but realize that all travel, land based and cruises, has increased significantly over the past couple years.

Planning a trip for family to Hawaii for holidays, land based, and the pricing makes my eyes water. Taking them on a cruise would be a bargain in comparison but the family doesn't like just cruises.

I think the best way to book a cruise anymore is to plan as far out as possible in the least expensive room you will be happy with. If price drops then upgrade along the way or if booking is eligible, cancel prior to final payment and rebook. I myself have had just as much fun on cruises in the lowest priced inside cabin as we've had in suites, especially when I get a deal. I'm not much for booking the balconies or mini suites because i guess it just seems like not that much more to just get a suite where as the inside staterooms can still be had for a fraction of the cost if booking at the right time.

if vacation costs seem absurd today take a break and when things turn around price wise you will be able to take advantage of the deals like we'd become accustomed to. The cruise industry is a fickle business. There's so many variables that can reduce desire to cruise and it's only a matter of time before the next poop cruise wards away the masses and the deals reappear. It doesn't even have to be a negative occurrence. The cruise lines make mistakes and some cruises don't sell well. Be flexible with where and what line you want to sail and deals with appear.

SOOO much depends on where you want to travel to and what your expectations are in terms of food, service, beverages, entertainment, tours etc. The only place we found where it is less expensive and still provides luxurious services compared to cruise lines is Southeast Asia (which is why we were actually alternate vacations between cruises and Thailand/Indonesia/Laos/Vietnam. On the other hand in terms of wear and tear on the traveler, nothing beats a cruise ship. Even on a recent first class trip to Vietnam, where we had five star hotels in the car, driver, and guide it Still meant constant packing and unpacking. In land arrangements, we tend to eat in local restaurants and Street stalls (no ultra fancy preparations but sometimes mind-boggling flavors-often for $10-$15 for dinner for the two of us.) But those vacations although immensely pleasurable are work. Cruising is pure relaxing joy - maybe a bit less so in court intensive itineraries where we've never been before but still nothing like arranging hotels, cars, trains, etc. Thankfully, if you have enough time off,you can do both!

It definitely depends on where you live, where/when you want to cruise and how you want to cruise.

If you live within driving distance of the more popular ports and are flexible on dates, don't care about the kind of room you have and are fine with smaller ships, there are great deals to be had on Carnival, NCL and Royal.

The best situation has gotta be for the Florida residents who live an easy driving distance from FLL, MIA and Port Canaveral. Lots to choose from!

If you want to sail the mega ships during school breaks or any Disney ship, then I agree with you.

I hear you! We are going on a NCL cruise in October, NOT peak season, and it is TWICE as much as the cruise we went on in January, that was almost identical. This is a seven day versus six, and added one Mexican port. The first cruise was $699 a person, this one is $1299 a person. First was on Getaway, this one is Escape. I still can't believe that this one in October is going to be so damned expensive once you add in all the taxes, fees, insurance, and excursions. I know you don't have to do those things, well, just the excursions, but why would we be going if we did not? I'm looking forward to it, even more so, as it may have to be our last at these prices.

I do understand you can get them cheap when they pop up and you are available. But we do ours in October for a reason, that is our fall break.

Actually Oct is the beginning of the slow season so prices should be less than summer or over major holiday breaks. I don't think it is the cost of cruising that is an issue, I think it is more, the cost of vacations for many of us. When we are retired or, like you, have a family we are a little more aware of what things cost. some of you talk about cruising being expensive, how about the cost of a hotel, even a middle of the road one like Hamptons Inns and in a small town, not necessarily a major city or the cost of food when you are feeding a family while traveling?

Very interesting and informative!

Kindly tell us how you check and get the best value deals. Thanks

I know ahead of time when I will be in Pennsylvania and when I will be in Asia, basically spending baseball season in the USA and then traveling to the Philippines to base travel out of Manila from end of October through March. Every day, while waiting for my coffee, I check out a major cruise line, my list includes NCL, RCCL, Princess, Holland America, Celebrity. Whichever is the cruiseline of the day I check already booked cruises to see if there are any price drops or other deals available. Right now I am checking Asia cruises between November 2018 and March 2019, hoping to cruise into or out of Hong Kong. For April of 2018 we were hoping to fly to Japan and take the Jewel to Alaska to Seattle, but it was only posted recently and it would cost us over $4,000 for an inside. I already committed to a 41 day cruise from Singapore to Dubai through the Red Sea to Barcelona and then past Gibraltar to Miami. Started out as $6,200 for the two of us including port fees and taxes, went down to $5,800, now is higher, especially the last 13 day to Miami cruise. Hoping to soon see the NCL cruises getting a ship back to Australia in fall of 2018 soon, but we may have to wait until after this upcoming Australia season. Booking 18 to 24 months ahead of sailing has always worked best for us.

Memorial Day week we found a cruise with a GTY cabin - 7 days for $499. Was a four hour drive from us. A hotel at $150 a night is more than that (and find a nice hotel in a decent spot for that price these days).

My Canadian dollar was been working against the value proposition of cruising over the last couple of years. We have found that for Winter Caribbean vacations i'ts better value to do an AI in Mexico, The DR or Cuba. Last Christmas for about $1,100 USD each we got a one week junior suite in Cozumel with a private hot tube looking out over the beach. We could have gotten an inside cabin for about the same price including air but the two values didn't compare for us. I didn't price out what a balcony cabin with a private hot tube was but I suspect it was a bit pricier than what we paid.

I love cruising but agree it’s getting pricey. I prefer sea days to port days because I love watching the ocean pass by while sitting on my balcony. I’m a bargain hunter so if NCL lowers the price of a cruise I’ve been thinking about, I’m all over it.

Having said that I think land based vacations are a much better deal. I can usually find 7 day all-inclusive deals for resorts in the Riviera Maya area of Mexico for less than $1000.00 per person, and that includes roundtrip airline flights from the U.S. and transfers to and from the resort. Plus the balcony room at an AI will be at least 3 times larger than a balcony cabin on a cruise ship. As I said, I love cruising but I think AI vacations are the better buy.

I am short on time so was unable to read the other threads so sorry if I repeat something someone else said.

I think vacations in general have gone way up. Just 3 years ago we flew first class to Hawaii and stayed at a high end hotel in Oahu. Total for the 2 of us was just under $5,000. I re-priced that exact same vacation the exact same week to see what it would cost us. It was $9,215!! Needless to say we did not do it.To me cruising is just like any other vacation and the prices go up and down with the economy and other factors. We spent a week in an owner's suite 2 years ago going to Alaska and also flew first class to our destination. The total cost of the vacation was including for first class air $8,000. We just returned from a week in an owner's suite to the Bahamas last week and our total was $9100. It was more but not as much of a rise as the Hawaii trip. Of course we could do those itineraries much cheaper if we flew coach and stayed in a budget hotel/cabin but we are getting up in years and are treating ourselves to nice vacations while we can still travel. I am just posting this as a comparison.