Galveston weather concerns

Any comments from Galveston area/Interstate 45 area residents on the present availability of gas, food, other accommodations? I'm on Liberty of the Seas now and returning to Dallas I'm aware of the Houston road condition website. Can't remember how much gas I have in the tank

I think in the end, one thing RCL should've done regardless of what they're planning to do with the next Liberty sailing was to allow passengers who wants to cancel or switch cruises do so and give cruise credits just like Carnival. I thought they really dropped the ball on that one. Especially after Carnival announced they would do this.

I agree.

If cruising in hurricane season is a bad idea, why don't all the cruise ships leave the gulf and east coast every year from June 1 to November 30? Nobody is complaining about the airlines, and nobody is complaining about Carnival. The only complaint is about the way Royal Caribbean is handling the situation. Poor customer service is not caused by the weather.
Completely correct........

Statistically you are more likely to see your cruise altered/cancelled by Royal for a charter, mechanical issues, or outright selling of the ship than any Hurricane.

Royal should give those customers affected the option to move to another sailing to ships that would be sailing Saturday/Sunday with empty stateroom anyways.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Edited by Beachammo

According to the link you posted, one just landed from North Carolina...just sayin. There's even one delayed but still arriving here from Houston?! In fact for Arrivals, the majority of scheduled flights into SA are on time or delayed, only a handful have canceled.

LOL

http://flightaware.com/live/cancelled

Nice try.

It's not rocket science to look online and find which ships are deployed to other locations (Europe being the most common). This happens every year...to reduce the number of ships in the Caribbean during hurricane season.

Again, there are less ships in the Caribbean in the summer because they are in Alaska and Europe, where there is higher demand. Cruise lines make their schedules according to where people want to go, not based on a small chance of a hurricane (admittedly that small chance is higher in hurricane season than not...BUT, it is still a SMALL chance!!)

It's a video of port of Galveston, I'm sure it's from earlier today cause Galveston is getting pounded right now by a strong band

Thank you.

For the few of us that don't live in Texas, it would have been nice to have a label with the photograph.

Again, there are less ships in the Caribbean in the summer because they are in Alaska and Europe, where there is higher demand. Cruise lines make their schedules according to where people want to go, not based on a small chance of a hurricane (admittedly that small chance is higher in hurricane season than not...BUT, it is still a SMALL chance!!)

Bingo!

10gl0yr.png

Light rain right now in Galv. Channel looks pretty calm. We've arrived and departed in worse weather than this, I promise. I've got pics...

If you'd like the link: http://www.galveston.com/cruisevideocam/

Is the bigger issue having enough employees willing and able to come to the port itself? Security, baggage handlers, immigration, check-in desk staff, etc. adds up to a lot of folks who need to get there from home regardless of how it looks at the port.

Any comments from Galveston area/Interstate 45 area residents on the present availability of gas, food, other accommodations? I'm on Liberty of the Seas now and returning to Dallas I'm aware of the Houston road condition website. Can't remember how much gas I have in the tank

Don't know about gas stations although the Galveston Newspaper is maintaining updates of road closures, power outage areas, etc. and there may be something useful to you in the future. Also the Port of Galveston just posted this on island accommodations for displaced cruise passengers should you find yourself stuck on the island when you are able to disembark, or for any of us who may be stuck there waiting to embark.

Hurricane Harvey Cruise Rates from Galveston Hotels in the event any cruises cancel.

The Galveston Island Convention & Visitors Bureau is pleased to offer the attached discounted rates to any displaced cruise passengers. These rates are only valid in the event of a cancellation and may require a minimum length of stay and boarding pass documentation.

Best Western Plus & Suites $69.00 + 15% tax

8500 Seawall Blvd

409-740-4300

Courtyard by Marriott $89.00 + 15% tax (ask for Cruise Displacement Galveston)

9550 Seawall Blvd

409-497-2850

Doubletee by Hilton $69.00-$89.00 + 15% tax

1702 Seawall Blvd

409-762-4141

Four Points by Sheraton $79.00 + 15% tax

2300 Seawall Blvd

409-974-4796 (Contact Tiffany in Sales)

Holiday Inn Resort $69.00 + 15% tax

5002 Seawall Blvd

409-740-5300

Hilton Galveston Island Resort $79.00 + 15% tax

5400 Seawall Blvd

409-744-5000

Hotel Galvez $89.00+ 15% tax (must contact Jena & supply cruise documents to book these exclusive rates)

2024 Seawall Blvd

409-765-7721

San Luis $89.00 + 15% tax *price depends of availability

5222 Seawall Blvd

409-744-1500

The Tremont House $89.00+ 15% tax (must contact Jena & supply cruise documents to book these exclusive rates)

2300 Ship’s Mechanic Row

409-763-0300

Moody Gardens Hotel $129.00 + 15% tax

Seven Hope Blvd

409-741-8484

Casa del Mar $89.00 +15% tax (two night minimum & linen /terry exchange only)

6102 Seawall Blvd

409-740-2431

TownePlace Suites by Marriott $89.00+ 15% tax (ask for Cruise Displacement Galveston)

9540 Seawall Blvd

409-497-2840

Also no tax on the rooms:

Friday afternoon, Texas Governor Greg Abbott announced an expanded proclamation that will suspend the collection of hotel and motel taxes during Hurricane Harvey. The suspension will be through September 6, 2017.

Read More: Governor Abbott Suspends Collection of Hotel and Motel Taxes During Hurricane Harvey | http://kfyo.com/governor-abbott-suspends-collection-of-hotel-and-motel-taxes-during-hurricane-harvey/?trackback=tsmclip

I can explain how to read the information if you can't see it. Many more than a handful of flights have been cancelled.

I have 20/20 and have been reading for 60 years. Thanks, but no thank you...you must be looking at something else.

Just landed at Houston Hobby from Boston - looks like about half the flights are coming in and half are cancelled going by the board.

Cautiously optimistic here that the port will reopen by Sunday given the favorable change in forecast.

That's great! Hope you get to sail!

Good thing you didn't take the 5am United BOS to IAH, it got diverted to Shreveport.:eek::cool:

If a professional tells me, in an area that is at sea level or barely above, that there is high probability of water coming in higher than that, I feel I would be making a bad decision to assume the expert is wrong.

I am not a meteorologist. But when is someone called Dr. and that person has spent the better part of a decade studying their chosen field tells me there is mortal danger to my personal welfare if I discount their expertise, I am going to bet on the person who has made it a profession, not a hobby, and not a quick search.

I am well aware that cruise lines find themselves in a terrible spot and understand why they would want to wait to give up on earned revenue. That is why I feel the onus is to get insurance, and go that route, independent of whatever the bean counters say.

People need to traffic in what they know, and make decisions only on what they know.

Not what they think.

Link was on the top of the screen capture.

It says Strand cam. Being from out of town, I was not aware that the strand was near the port.

I can show you lots of picture taken from places that are near other cruise ship port, and I doubt you would know what port it was. Would it have been that hard to just say this is a view of the Strand which is near the port?