Galveston weather concerns

Not sure if you noticed, the update is scheduled for noon, central time. I know the update was late yesterday, hope they get one posted closer to the posted time today.:)

Yeah, maybe it was a mistake on their part with the time zone but my Thursday email clearly said Friday update by noon eastern. That made sense since RCI is in Miami. I know it sounds like splitting hairs, but time is of the essence when we are sitting with bags packed wondering whether to go to the airport. :)

Not sure if you noticed, the update is scheduled for noon, central time. I know the update was late yesterday, hope they get one posted closer to the posted time today.:)

I could be very wrong, but I'm going to make the assumption that much of their announcement will be based on updates from NOAA, and they were sometimes be 15 to 20 minutes delayed, particularly if they are trying to use data from the hurricane hunters.

EBFURR I have to ask. What made you book a cruise out of Galviston?

I always think of the Gulf Cruise ports as being for local people who can't be bothered to travel to Florida, Maryland or NY/NJ. The itineraries are far more limited that those of ships leaving from Canaveral, Everglades, and Miami. At least those from Maryland, and NY/NJ often have Bermuda cruises. I'll look at Seattle for Alaska cruises, but not L.A. because there are really only Baja Mexico cruises.

Yes, Florida has more options. However, I've cruised out of Galveston twice, both itineraries were different. I've cruised out of Miami, Fort Lauderdale, and Port Canaveral several times, and I have ended up at St. Thomas and St. Maarten several times. Seattle and Alaska only offer Alaska. I've gone through the Panama Canal out of Los Angeles. Next year I am gong to Alaska out of Los Angeles. Many people go to Hawaii from Los Angeles. I've also enjoyed a California coastal out of Los Angeles (yes, I cruised to my own backyard). In fact, every place we stopped I have previously been to by car. But I still really enjoyed the cruise. I've been to Bermuda. I have no interest in going back.

So it really depends on how you look at it. I've also cruised out of Baltimore, Vancouver, San Diego, New Orleans, San Juan (which is not a drive to option for me) and New York three times, each time from a different port (Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Bayonne which is actually in NJ).

It really depends on what your interests are. No port is best or worst. They are all different.

Galveston is not my favorite port. However, if there is a ship there that I want to cruise on, and if it is going someplace I want to go, then I would be more than happy to book another cruise out of Galveston .

BTW, I spend more time at home then I do cruising and the weather in Southern California beats the weather in Florida hands down. So you can brag about your cruise choices, for the other 355 days per year, I would rather be in California than Florida.

Edited by Cuizer2

Yeah, maybe it was a mistake on their part with the time zone but my Thursday email clearly said Friday update by noon eastern. That made sense since RCI is in Miami. I know it sounds like splitting hairs, but time is of the essence when we are sitting with bags packed wondering whether to go to the airport. :)

I don't think you are splitting hairs at all. Noon your time has you at home, noon central time has you possibly already on the road to the airport to make your flight to Chicago. Just wanted to make sure you saw the CT.:)

I hope they make a decision and stop leaving you in limbo. I am sure you could have accepted that your cruise was shortened or cancelled. You would have been disappointed, but accepting of a decision. Leaving you constantly rescheduling flights that have very little chance of actually getting into Houston, is just ridiculous!

Keep us posted.:)

For anyone interested in checking the official status of the port of Galveston, go to the website homeport.uscg.mil and then click on the "PortDirectory" tab and select "Houston-Galveston."

Currently the port condition is ZULU. Port Condition ZULU officially suspends operations and closing ports to incoming and outgoing vessel traffic until otherwise directed by the US Coast Guard Captain of the Port.

So for those thinking of heading to Galveston, it might be useful to check the port status before heading out.

Hey BB, are you on our sailing?

No but the thought has crossed my mind. I'll bet they'd welcome any takers!

I do so sympathize with you but your can do attitude is admirable!

We now have 1.25 inches in the gauge. No power outage at our home out in the country even. They say worst is yet to come, but the new spaghetti models have it pushing south southwest toward Brownville!!!:rolleyes: I think their machine must be on overload:o NOthing they have predicted about this storm has been totally correct!

I'm sorry this is happening when you're trying to celebrate an important life event. My suggestion - the SECOND Royal allows you to cancel this cruise - one of you get on the phone cancelling air/hotel/transfers/etc. and the other of you get on the phone trying to book something in the next couple of days that you can drive to. I just found these, but have no idea what the availability is (inside, ov, balcony, etc.):

Both of these leave the 27th - Celebrity Summit to Bermuda out of New Jersey, NCL Breakaway to Bermuda out of New York. Both are 7 day sailings.

Also leaving the 27th - Celebrity Equinox to E Caribbean out of Miami. This is an 8 day sailing.

Or, if you need to shorten your trip due to pet/house care, etc. there is a 4 day Carnival Liberty sailing to the Bahamas out of Port Canaveral that also leaves the 27th.

I hope you have an excellent anniversary week, regardless of your final destination.

With things changing rapid-fire since Wednesday...and the port of Galveston itself making Facebook updates (just checked) changing frequently during the last 48 hours...it's a fluid situation for sure. Agree that communications are very important during such events.

Cruise insurance might be a good idea for those who choose to book during the hurricane season. We get it regardless of cruise itinerary/destination....stuff happens...and we want to make sure we can safely adjust to changing conditions (or delayed baggage, or cancelled flights, or delayed port arrivals, or other things that could happen to disrupt a cruise trip).

Absolutely

What's much more amazing is how people book a cruise in the middle of hurricane season...and then when one shows up...they're all upset at the airlines and cruise companies.

The PASSENGERS took that risk of booking during this highly-risky time period. While some cruises remain...many cruise ships are deployed elsewhere around the world for that same reason. The airlines and cruise companies do their best to adjust to the bad conditions. POOR CHOICES are the fault of the people making the choices.

If cruising in hurricane season is a bad idea, why don't all the cruise ships leave the gulf and east coast every year from June 1 to November 30? Nobody is complaining about the airlines, and nobody is complaining about Carnival. The only complaint is about the way Royal Caribbean is handling the situation. Poor customer service is not caused by the weather.

I don't think you are splitting hairs at all. Noon your time has you at home, noon central time has you possibly already on the road to the airport to make your flight to Chicago. Just wanted to make sure you saw the CT.:)

I hope they make a decision and stop leaving you in limbo. I am sure you could have accepted that your cruise was shortened or cancelled. You would have been disappointed, but accepting of a decision. Leaving you constantly rescheduling flights that have very little chance of actually getting into Houston, is just ridiculous!

Keep us posted.:)

They could come into SA our airport is open, rent a car and drive down even Monday....:confused:

We avoid the Caribbean and the Bahamas in June, July and August for the usual reasons (price, crowds) and only cruise those ports in September and October from NYC, a two hour bus ride. Always get insurance for those cruises. We were happy to be at sea for 4 extra days back in 2012 for Sandy, was a problem to get a cab to the bus station on disembarkation, but it was great to get 4 extra days for free. NCL gave us the option of taking a 5 day to Bermuda for $100 each, but most just got off the ship. Hundreds got off two nights before when the Gem pulled into Boston for an overnight stay on Halloween.

No but the thought has crossed my mind. I'll bet they'd welcome any takers!

I do so sympathize with you but your can do attitude is admirable!

We now have 1.25 inches in the gauge. No power outage at our home out in the country even. They say worst is yet to come, but the new spaghetti models have it pushing south southwest toward Brownville!!!:rolleyes: I think their machine must be on overload:o NOthing they have predicted about this storm has been totally correct!

Rats. You seem to be the only person who can calm me down. :)

What's much more amazing is how people book a cruise in the middle of hurricane season...and then when one shows up...they're all upset at the airlines and cruise companies.

The PASSENGERS took that risk of booking during this highly-risky time period. While some cruises remain...many cruise ships are deployed elsewhere around the world for that same reason. The airlines and cruise companies do their best to adjust to the bad conditions. POOR CHOICES are the fault of the people making the choices.

Please, provide a list of ships that a rerouted out of the Gulf or Caribbean due to Hurricane season. Thats simply not true. The same ships that are operate in that region in June/July are there in August and September. Ships are routed to the Med for Summer season. Believe it or not, very few cruises are impacted by severe weather this time of year.

I cruise this time of year every year. The prices are amazing because everyones kids are back to school so no families are on vacation. I know the risks, and im fluid and understand the bigger picture. Everyone who cruises this time of year should know the risks....but with that said, RCL's failure to make logical decisions yesterday is showing. Carnival, should be commended.

I'm not afraid o' no hurricanes. We sail in September frequently, have only had the one time affect us negatively and as mentioned before, made the cruise and had a blast. That hurricane was Ike, which caused us consternation with our flights into the Cape to catch Mariner....but we just did a little creative thinking and left a day early. No problem.

The Galveston area looks like they may miss most of this except rain. RCCL is going to be looking good if the port opens tomorrow and Liberty comes in, even if late.

They predicted all sorts of Chaos here in San Antonio area and so far we have 1/2 inch of rain in the gauge and a few gusts.:o

Yes, IF the port opens on Sunday, Royal Caribbean will look good. IF the port doesn't open on Sunday, Carnival will look good. In 24 hours we will know which is which.

Lots of ships are outside the harbor, RCI isn't the only one impatiently waiting.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-89.4/centery:25.5/zoom:6

The majority of ships at anchor are foreign tankers that lay out waiting for cargo to be sold. This is common with the futures market. We always have many ships off the coast which are visible nightly with their lights on.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm sorry this is happening when you're trying to celebrate an important life event. My suggestion - the SECOND Royal allows you to cancel this cruise - one of you get on the phone cancelling air/hotel/transfers/etc. and the other of you get on the phone trying to book something in the next couple of days that you can drive to. I just found these, but have no idea what the availability is (inside, ov, balcony, etc.):

Both of these leave the 27th - Celebrity Summit to Bermuda out of New Jersey, NCL Breakaway to Bermuda out of New York. Both are 7 day sailings.

Also leaving the 27th - Celebrity Equinox to E Caribbean out of Miami. This is an 8 day sailing.

Or, if you need to shorten your trip due to pet/house care, etc. there is a 4 day Carnival Liberty sailing to the Bahamas out of Port Canaveral that also leaves the 27th.

I hope you have an excellent anniversary week, regardless of your final destination.

rvgdoo.jpg boat drinks!

14ucktv.jpg

I have experience with CCL and others, nothing will alter my opinion of them.:cool:

I hope that was sarcastic, or are you really saying nothing would change your opinion? Reminds me of this:

Trump: I could 'shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose voters'.

According to the link you posted, one just landed from North Carolina...just sayin. There's even one delayed but still arriving here from Houston?! In fact for Arrivals, the majority of scheduled flights into SA are on time or delayed, only a handful have canceled.

Edited by BecciBoo

I hope that was sarcastic, or are you really saying nothing would change your opinion? Reminds me of this:

Trump: I could 'shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose voters'.

NO POLITICS HERE! And I absolutely meant it. Will have to regale you on our CCL cruise sometime. Never again.

Please, provide a list of ships that a rerouted out of the Gulf or Caribbean due to Hurricane season. .

Since grade school....I vowed never to do someone else's homework for them. No different now.

By the way...ALL THE MONTHS you listed are part of "hurricane season"....so of course June/July and August/September wouldn't reflect much difference.

It's not rocket science to look online and find which ships are deployed to other locations (Europe being the most common). This happens every year...to reduce the number of ships in the Caribbean during hurricane season.

So now that some people are better educated on this topic...we can all defer to the main topic at hand..."What's going on in Galveston during this weekend".