Galveston weather concerns

The RCI rep I talked said they were not worried about it. Also, when I mentioned angry Cruise Critic members he said (very sarcastically) "I'm not even going to address Cruise Critic". They really don't see a problem. "At this point the hurricane is just a prediction. No one knows what Sunday will be like." Honest, he said that.

Hang up, call back. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I think Royal Caribbean is acting very irresponsibly in this instance. Even if they can get in on Sunday (which I don't think they will), is it really in anybody's best interests to disembark a ship and put thousands of people on the roads with the potential for widespread flooding? Have thousands more trying to get to an area people have been asked to stay away from? I'm in disbelief that RCI is headed for Galveston when there's a Category 4 hurricane just a couple hundred miles down the coast. I think CCL got this one right...spend the extra time in Cozumel, let the hurricane make landfall and decide where he's going, and send the message to your passengers that you value their safety above all else!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Last August. We went on Carnival for the first time in June and have another carnival booked in October. We had a Jan 18 RCI cruise booked but I just cancelled. We have been during this week 9 previous times since our anniversary is the 28th and earlier in August a couple of times. We will not be doing business with RCI any longer after this. You would not believe the attitude I got from one of their "supervisors". I think it is evident that I had a positive outlook but that was of no consequence. They dismiss the weather forecast and deny that Carnival is offering credits. They have no concern for cancelled flights and told me that if the ship sails and I am not there that I just miss it. I tried to be a happy camper.

I thought I ask coopdog, your friend today here on CC. You didn't have much help.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The RCI rep I talked said they were not worried about it. Also, when I mentioned angry Cruise Critic members he said (very sarcastically) "I'm not even going to address Cruise Critic". They really don't see a problem. "At this point the hurricane is just a prediction. No one knows what Sunday will be like." Honest, he said that.

Very small amount of the overall cruiser base in on CC.

I am currently on Liberty of the Seas and we left Cozumel while the Carnival ships stayed in port. Not really giving us much info except we are on the backside of the storm and planning to arrive in Galveston on sunday. I think we will just be sitting off the coast making big circles. We will see.

Very small amount of the overall cruiser base in on CC.

True but maybe not inconsequential. For everyone's continued amusement and entertainment, I will update. I just found a flight that leaves at 4:25 tomorrow, goes to Chicago and gets to HOU around 9:30. If at their promised noon update tomorrow RCI still insists that they are going we have a choice to try it assuming the flight is not cancelled. If they offer cancellation I can cancel the flight and cruise but it may be too late to book another. Yes, me and coopdog are becoming close. He can take it as well as dish it and I respect that

We enjoyed our cruise in June on the Sunshine. We are switching to the C. Truthfully, we are not fans of RCIs newer ships. We are finding that we prefer Carnival and this has pretty much sealed it. I do want to try MSC though.

Thank you for this information, we have only been on 1 cruise our 2nd in September

So we don't have a cruise line yet,

But, after what I am reading about RC I am not wanting to go on RC.

But, please investigate msc, I have read alot of negative on it.

I have friends that love carnival and ncl alot

Exactly when was last time you cruised Royal?

Howdy Mik 8...if you go back to my posts from last night and today you will see very quickly that I was saying RC and Carnival should both be cancelling this weekends cruises. Never one time have I said anything negative about one but not the other, it was always a industry issue for me. I have no reason to bash RC as I have never sailed with them. Carnival has always treated me very well and we have enjoyed all 12 of our cruises with them and will will continue to cruise with them.

If the cruise is cancelled, insurance would cover. If you just chose not to go, no insurance unless your policy offers "cancel for any reason". You can't cancel before the cruise line announces that the cruise is cancelled or delayed and have insurance coverage. Very few polices offer this type of coverage. However, the RCI cruise travel policy does offer this. We have cancelled as of this afternoon and already have our claim forms to fill out. RCI should have followed Carnival's lead on this. I have friends on board and they are not being told anything except to expect to arrive safely in Galveston on time.

Royal's insurance covers cancel for any reason, but they do not offer a full refund. It's 75% refund certificate for use on another cruise within a year, but better than nothing.

Will the insurance not cover this?

If you cancel due to storm

Insurance would cover the cruise being cancelled because of the storm or transportation to the port being impossible because of the storm. Insurance does not cover not going on the cruise because of the storm.

True but maybe not inconsequential. For everyone's continued amusement and entertainment, I will update. I just found a flight that leaves at 4:25 tomorrow, goes to Chicago and gets to HOU around 9:30. If at their promised noon update tomorrow RCI still insists that they are going we have a choice to try it assuming the flight is not cancelled. If they offer cancellation I can cancel the flight and cruise but it may be too late to book another. Yes, me and coopdog are becoming close. He can take it as well as dish it and I respect that

I have been married for 19 years, with my wife for 23 years. Correct me if wrong but I think at some point today your wife got ahold of you and had a convo. I know that is how it would have worked if I was in your situation. GL

I am currently on Liberty of the Seas and we left Cozumel while the Carnival ships stayed in port. Not really giving us much info except we are on the backside of the storm and planning to arrive in Galveston on sunday. I think we will just be sitting off the coast making big circles. We will see.

Well that's interesting considering all the news stations are saying the port is closed until at least Tuesday...

Howdy Mik 8...if you go back to my posts from last night and today you will see very quickly that I was saying RC and Carnival should both be cancelling this weekends cruises. Never one time have I said anything negative about one but not the other, it was always a industry issue for me. I have no reason to bash RC as I have never sailed with them. Carnival has always treated me very well and we have enjoyed all 12 of our cruises with them and will will continue to cruise with them.

I just thought it a bit odd that someone with all cruises listed in their signature were with CCL but yet trolling a RCCL board.

We are on Liberty now and are trying to figure out what to do. Has anyone had any experience getting off the ship early? I know there are laws that make that difficult but we could potentially take a flight out of Cozumel tomorrow and skip out on the last sea day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can depart in Cozumel without being in violation of any laws. Just let the ship know what you are doing.

I have been married for 19 years, with my wife for 23 years. Correct me if wrong but I think at some point today your wife got ahold of you and had a convo. I know that is how it would have worked if I was in your situation. GL

Actually no. She leaves all the logistics to me. I just keep her posted. Our anniversary cruise is our big vacation each year that we save and plan for. I am doing my best to salvage it but RCI is not helping. We have paid flights, hotel, rental car, shuttle, etc and I was trying to make it work. If they would have let us transfer to another ship I could have probably gotten all of it switched. The longer they wait the slimmer the chance. She wants to go as much as I do,

I would assume he wants to fly directly to NYC since he is from the Bronx. It is unlikely he drove that far. He would avoid TX all together.

But, he could have a rental at the port. That would be a problem!

There is no airport in Galveston. Houston has two airports. The smaller one, which is south of Houston, is the closer one to Galveston and is mostly serviced Southwest. The bigger airport is north of Houston. It is an international airport that all the major airlines fly to. However, it could be quite a challenge to drive to either airport if driving conditions are bad.

I just thought it a bit odd that someone with all cruises listed in their signature were with CCL but yet trolling a RCCL board.

From what I can tell, the reports that the port is shut through Tuesday all stem from a statement from one port authority representative this afternoon in an uncertain context (I haven't been able to find the direct quote). However, none of the actual Port of Galveston or City of Galveston information says the same thing, nor do any of the cruiseline statements.

I'm surprised, though, that ship left Cozumel for Galveston if they didn't have some reason to believe they could dock before Tuesday.

So is the only option to keep her at sea until Galveston is operative? New Orleans doesn't seem a good choice since the storm may track in that direction from Tuesday/Wednesday. This is shaping to be a real mess, especially for those booked on Liberty from 8/27.

The ship could stay in New Orleans until Monday and then head over to Galveston to be ready to enter the port on Tuesday. But, where will Galveston dock all of those ships?

From what I can tell, the reports that the port is shut through Tuesday all stem from a statement from one port authority representative this afternoon in an uncertain context (I haven't been able to find the direct quote). However, none of the actual Port of Galveston or City of Galveston information says the same thing, nor do any of the cruiseline statements.

I'm surprised, though, that ship left Cozumel for Galveston if they didn't have some reason to believe they could dock before Tuesday.

Well Royal probably didn't want to keep paying port of Cozumel and rather just sit at Sea if they can't get in Galveston. Someone on the Liberty earlier said they saw trucks unloading things onto the ship at Cozumel port. So the captain probably know himself they might be at Sea for awhile but was instructed not to notify the passengers yet just in case.

If the port is closed, I am going to assume off site parking would be closed also, like ez-cruise parking etc.

So, even if rccl thinks it can dock on Sunday

People won't be able to get their cars?

Absolutely appalling how the cruise industry treats there customers before storms hit at or around ports. Both Royal and Carnival know they are not sailing this weekend but they wait until the latest possible moment to cancel. The port is closed, will not open until Monday/Tuesday at earliest. There are no reports of this storm getting weaker or moving far enough away that Galveston will not have major impacts. Nothing but negativity will be gained the longer they wait to cancel. They should have already moved on from these cruises leaving this weekend and put all there efforts on how to get there ships back to port which is going to be a mess. Personally I think these ships may be out in the sea until Tues-Thurs of next week. Sure they can attempt to go to another port but how will they get people into Galveston?

Last time Galveston was closed they stopped in New Orleans and bused the people to Galveston.

Last time Galveston was closed they stopped in New Orleans and bused the people to Galveston.

I believe that was a Carnival ship. I'm not sure a Freedom class ship has ever stopped in New Orleans. We cruised out of New Orleans on Voyager and Liberty would be around 90' longer.

Actually no. She leaves all the logistics to me. I just keep her posted. Our anniversary cruise is our big vacation each year that we save and plan for. I am doing my best to salvage it but RCI is not helping. We have paid flights, hotel, rental car, shuttle, etc and I was trying to make it work. If they would have let us transfer to another ship I could have probably gotten all of it switched. The longer they wait the slimmer the chance. She wants to go as much as I do,

Lol, my wife took care of the first cruise. Since I have taken care of everything for all the rest. Hang in there, keep positive. Make you can take her to the Biltmore if the cruise doesn't work out. GL