Galveston weather concerns

Just wow.

Believe me when I tell you I understand exactly how you feel. My aunt & cousins are scheduled to sail on Carnival Freedom on Saturday. At this point, they are waiting for their noon update from the cruise line to decide whether to start the drive down to Texas today. The absolute LAST thing I would do right now is start telling them they aren't going & to stop trying to be positive. They've had their cruise planned for a year. My aunt has saved money & sacrificed a lot over the past year for it. I'm hoping beyond anything that they just end up being delayed a day or 2 & are still able to go.

The situation is already stressful enough without having someone who obviously has zero empathy for anyone & feels like rubbing salt in the wound is more satisfying than acting like a decent human being. Just ignore this person. There are a lot of us who have been lurking in here today that know how stressful this is and would feel the same way as you if we were in your situation.

Okay, maybe Coopdog's response could have been a little more sympathetic. The point here is to use your best judgement. Please don't even imagine that the cruise lines (or airlines) have your interests at heart! It is in their best interests to be overly optimistic in order to make sure their revenues don't get hit, on the chance that the cruise can still go out. I mean - really - Royal Caribbean doesn't even MENTION Harvey on their website, and their blog has one post from yesterday. Meanwhile they are busy advertising as usual . . .

Just keep checking the weather situation - and probably not a bad idea to access some local news sites for Galveston - I have found that the local news is often the best source for how severe the situation actually is. And especially stay away from the big sites like CNN - it is in THEIR best interests to make it sound worse than it is :rolleyes:

Hopefully, you'll get lucky and Galveston won't get the worst of it. Good luck and hope to see you posting in a few days that you're having a great time on your cruise!

Great post!!! Most of us are genuinely worried for passengers leaving this weekend and are trying to be realistic, yes sometimes that might sound as pessimistic or negative. But I hope the poster from NC understands our intentions.

Believe me when I tell you I understand exactly how you feel. My aunt & cousins are scheduled to sail on Carnival Freedom on Saturday. At this point, they are waiting for their noon update from the cruise line to decide whether to start the drive down to Texas today. The absolute LAST thing I would do right now is start telling them they aren't going & to stop trying to be positive. They've had their cruise planned for a year. My aunt has saved money & sacrificed a lot over the past year for it. I'm hoping beyond anything that they just end up being delayed a day or 2 & are still able to go.

The situation is already stressful enough without having someone who obviously has zero empathy for anyone & feels like rubbing salt in the wound is more satisfying than acting like a decent human being. Just ignore this person. There are a lot of us who have been lurking in here today that know how stressful this is and would feel the same way as you if we were in your situation.

Its not that people have zero empathy....its that some people are being unreasonably optimistic and not accepting reality. If it was me I would not be depending on flights for this weekend and would be working with the airlines for alternate arrival locations or taking a refund (if its offered) and drive. Its also not realistic to assume the port of Galveston will even be open on Sunday. Ship could come in a day late and sail Monday, who knows....but you need to be there to board, so flying into the Houston area this weekend is a crap shoot. I would get my flights changed to New Orleans only a few hours away and drive in, stay in a hotel east of Galveston and wait for Sunday/Monday updates.

Edited by Deptacon

Its not that people have zero empathy....its that some people are being unreasonably optimistic and not accepting reality. If it was me I would not be depending on flights for this weekend and would be working with the airlines for alternate arrival locations or taking a refund (if its offered) and drive. Its also not realistic to assume the port of Galveston will even be open on Sunday.

Ding ding...thanks

Its not that people have zero empathy....its that some people are being unreasonably optimistic and not accepting reality. If it was me I would not be depending on flights for this weekend and would be working with the airlines for alternate arrival locations or taking a refund (if its offered) and drive. Its also not realistic to assume the port of Galveston will even be open on Sunday.

There is a difference in how you & a couple of others have addressed people & how another poster has responded. You have been completely respectful. Others have not.

Hi folks,

I am a Meteorologist who spent the better part of my career routing ships across every ocean of the world. I only tuned into this thread because I have a friend onboard the Liberty of the Seas right now. You need to look out for your own best interest if you have an upcoming cruise this weekend. The Port of Galveston will not reopen, and since we are fairly confident the storm will meander in the vicinity of the entire Texas Gulf coast through midweek, any cruises scheduled to depart over the next several days will not be capable of doing so.

Great post!!! Most of us are genuinely worried for passengers leaving this weekend and are trying to be realistic, yes sometimes that might sound as pessimistic or negative. But I hope the poster from NC understands our intentions.

Yeah, I got it loud and clear. I know the type.

For those having to decide whether or not to travel this weekend, current information will be a key. A post above recommended linking to local news stations, which is an excellent idea. Also, NHS publishes local observations on conditions and predictions for wind, surge, total rainfall and storm/flood warnings which can be accessed using the link below for the Galveston/Houston area.

http://www.weather.gov/srh/tropical?office=hgx#hti

The latest euro shows a second landfall closer to Houston....

The euro model is the only one that shows it restrengthening into a hurricane after it makes landfall and returns to the Gulf before making landfall again NE of Houston. I have been watching the news and Weather Channel all morning and many of them do not agree with euro model. Month or so ago they projected heavy rainfall and damage due to a tropical storm and all we got was some light rain. News and Weather ALWAYS project the worst and they sure don't seem as concerned about this as you are. In this scenario, I will defer to their judgement. In fact, those of us in Harris County are being instructed NOT to evacuate.

We are midtown; rain off and on overnight, nothing unusual. Winds at 19 mph from the east. Light rain now, plants loving it after a dry month!

I am in Third Ward and just ran into Midtown to pick up lunch. Worst I got was a light mist. I know it will get worse but I also know all of 59 would have to fill up before the water would start finding its way to our doorsteps.

People, come on. It's not negative to be realistic.

The Galveston Port was shut down yesterday. Most people in that area are evacuating. The schools are closed, businesses and homes are being boarded and sandbagged....

They are predicting the worst storm in over a decade.

If you cruise on Sunday-which you probably won't-do you even want to?

I love to cruise, but a cruise in the middle of a hurricane does not sound like a good time.

Realistic, yes; But false information is not realistic.

There are a series of procedures for cruise ships - The Coast Guard can close the Port to all shipping; if not then it is up to the Pilots of they can safely board a ship and get off when sailing out. They will also determine if tugs are required. It's their call, not ours.

Most people are NOT evacuating! The City called for a voluntary evacuation on West End for those with medical needs. Past the Seawall the roads are basically at sea level and flood - common sense! Same on Bolivar and down the coast.

Schools in Galveston do not start until Monday. The teachers and staff had an in-service day today. GISD announced schools will be closed through Wednesday due to potential street flooding.

Many businesses are open and have stated so. Others chose to close. That is their prerogative; it is not mandated. Some are sandbagged due to locations in low lying areas. Our streets flood; 100+ year drainage system, Seawall is 17' with Island sloping to 8' at Port, water runs downhill

From the Mayor at 12:10 PM: "20" rain anticipated between now and Wednesday, 2-4 ft. storm surge, no high winds. This is not Ike, but exercise caution and use common sense"

This is not the worst storm in a decade - Ike was with a 20' storm surge that 85% of the Island. This is not even close in comparison. Harvey is rain over multiple days.

Misinformation can be deadly which was proved with Hurricane Rita.

Edited by Galveston Cruiser

People, come on. It's not negative to be realistic.

The Galveston Port was shut down yesterday. Most people in that area are evacuating. The schools are closed, businesses and homes are being boarded and sandbagged....

They are predicting the worst storm in over a decade.

And Galveston County officials just announced that not a single city in Galveston County has issues a mandatory evacuation. At this point, all evacuations in Galveston County are voluntary. Nothing wrong with being realistic, but the reality is that Galveston is NOT Corpus Christi.

Update: 2 Carnival ships en route to Galveston will just meander the gulf and wait for the port to open. The Breeze, due to port Sunday, will now overnight in Cozumel. These fools seriously think that port is going to open any time soon?!

Lucky Them! I would love to overnight in Cozumel!

Update: 2 Carnival ships en route to Galveston will just meander the gulf and wait for the port to open. The Breeze, due to port Sunday, will now overnight in Cozumel. These fools seriously think that port is going to open any time soon?!

They must. This reminds me of the delay the lines had due to H Matthew last year.

And Galveston County officials just announced that not a single city in Galveston County has issues a mandatory evacuation. At this point, all evacuations in Galveston County are voluntary. Nothing wrong with being realistic, but the reality is that Galveston is NOT Corpus Christi.

Evacuations and the Port being open due to seas are 2 completely different things.

Its not that people have zero empathy....its that some people are being unreasonably optimistic and not accepting reality. If it was me I would not be depending on flights for this weekend and would be working with the airlines for alternate arrival locations or taking a refund (if its offered) and drive. Its also not realistic to assume the port of Galveston will even be open on Sunday. Ship could come in a day late and sail Monday, who knows....but you need to be there to board, so flying into the Houston area this weekend is a crap shoot. I would get my flights changed to New Orleans only a few hours away and drive in, stay in a hotel east of Galveston and wait for Sunday/Monday updates.

Actually, NOLA is more like 5 hours from Houston. You'd be better off flying into DFW and driving south for a few reasons. Shorter drive, and not likely to be as impacted by the storm (the storm is modeled to trek towards NOLA after hitting Houston). And if we want to keep talking about reality. It is realistic to expect that the cruise will go on as planned until such time as it has been announced otherwise. I can understand planning contingencies but a lot of you are putting the cart before the horse. Why worry about you flights until you know what the cruiseline is going to do? Why worry about what the cruiseline is going to do until you know what the Port of Galveston is going to do? Worry about, and handle things in the order in which they can be addressed.

I'm on the Liberty. The Captain just announced we're leaving Cozumel as scheduled. They expect a window of opportunity for us to dock in Galveston as scheduled. If not, we'll remain at sea until we can dock in Galveston. Good times.

Also don't know why some here are so focused on what the current condition is. That has no bearing on Liberty of the Seas, which don't return until Sunday. The storm is technically not even here yet. All local news said today would be fine until late in the evening or overnight. Heck Tim Heller of abc13 said we can go to work today/go shopping. Tomorrow on is a different story. They actually said Houston/Galveston will get it's worst on Sunday and Monday.

Some of my greatest adventures in life have been when things haven't gone as planned. Cheers to the optimists on this thread, and best wishes to those on board and those trying to get on board.

Until your flight is cancelled, I would proceed as if it isn't. Until your cruise is cancelled, I would proceed as if it isn't. These storms and their resulting impacts can be highly erratic and wildly unpredictable. Here's hoping for sunshine and calm seas on Sunday (which is entirely within the realm of possibilities).

Evacuations and the Port being open due to seas are 2 completely different things.

Sure they are. But the person I was responding to was giving a "Sky is falling" impression saying people are evacuating. And yes, some people are evacuating. However, if the situation was as grim in Galveston as they stated, the evacuations would be mandatory.

Realistic, yes; But false information is not realistic.

There are a series of procedures for cruise ships - The Coast Guard can close the Port to all shipping; if not then it is up to the Pilots of they can safely board a ship and get off when sailing out. They will also determine if tugs are required. It's their call, not ours.

Most people are NOT evacuating! The City called for a voluntary evacuation on West End for those with medical needs. Past the Seawall the roads are basically at sea level and flood - common sense! Same on Bolivar and down the coast.

Schools in Galveston do not start until Monday. The teachers and staff had an in-service day today. GISD announced schools will be closed through Wednesday due to potential street flooding.

Many businesses are open and have stated so. Others chose to close. That is their prerogative; it is not mandated. Some are sandbagged due to locations in low lying areas. Our streets flood; 100+ year drainage system, Seawall is 17' with Island sloping to 8' at Port, water runs downhill

From the Mayor at 12:10 PM: "20" rain anticipated between now and Wednesday, 2-4 ft. storm surge, no high winds. This is not Ike, but exercise caution and use common sense"

This is not the worst storm in a decade - Ike was with a 20' storm surge that 85% of the Island. This is not even close in comparison. Harvey is rain over multiple days.

Misinformation can be deadly which was proved with Hurricane Rita.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SAYING THIS IS NOT IKE!!!!

I agree that it is NOWHERE NEAR LIKE IKE

I think everyone needs to pray for corpus

and, just wait

As us native Texans say about the weather

Just wait a few minutes it will change :)

I'm on the Liberty. The Captain just announced we're leaving Cozumel as scheduled. They expect a window of opportunity for us to dock in Galveston as scheduled. If not, we'll remain at sea until we can dock in Galveston. Good times.

This actually make the most sense for RCL's bottom line. By taking this approach, they won't have to lose a entire weeks of revenue as even in the worst case scenario, they could board Sundays passengers mid week and still get a 4 day cruise out of it with partial refund. Meanwhile I'm sure many currently waiting at Sea will continue to buy drinks and gamble even though the extra days are free. And in the event they have a short window to come in on Sunday, they'd be in position to do so. Still pretty annoying for passengers that's supposed to leave on Sunday though. I would suggest not wait in Galveston when you're flying in. Don't go to Galveston until the ship returns to port.

Good luck to you. Hurricane isn't close to Galveston but waves showing on the seawall webcam are huge. Narrow channel and tight turns coming into port, so likely that is why port is closed. If hurricane goes on land near Corpus surf might back off enough to open port by Sunday. Even the weather "experts" don't have a clue what is going to happen. Computer models don't work when a storm isn't moving rapidly.