Galveston weather concerns

Are you still expecting to fly in Saturday?

Yes. Airline says flight will go. We have a lot of money into this, booked a year ago, and have no choice but to go by what the airlines, cruise line, and port authority say. At this point all three say we sail. Amazing how m,any people who have nothing to lose seem to be hoping for bad things. Not you specifically, I have no idea what your outlook is. I just see a lot of doom and gloom from people who are not directly affected. I look for the best and deal with the rest.

Yes. Airline says flight will go. We have a lot of money into this, booked a year ago, and have no choice but to go by what the airlines, cruise line, and port authority say. At this point all three say we sail. Amazing how m,any people who have nothing to lose seem to be hoping for bad things. Not you specifically, I have no idea what your outlook is. I just see a lot of doom and gloom from people who are not directly affected. I look for the best and deal with the rest.

While I commend you for being positive, I hate playing blackjack with negative people, I am not so sure you are being realistic. I believe this is due to these cruise lines not canceling already and having people like you holding out hope while there really isn't any as these cruises will be cancelled. Your the perfect example as people will board there flights in anticipation of cruising only to get there and find out it's been cancelled. Now what do you do? You have to pay for accommodations while sitting in horrible weather. Yes you will get your cruise refund, just do it in the comforts of your home. GL

Not to mention you are from Concord, have you forgot about the flooding in NC last year?

Edited by Coopdog08
Add words

While I commend you for being positive, I hate playing blackjack with negative people, I am not so sure you are being realistic. I believe this is due to these cruise lines not canceling already and having people like you holding out hope while there really isn't any as these cruises will be cancelled. Your the perfect example as people will board there flights in anticipation of cruising only to get there and find out it's been cancelled. Now what do you do? You have to pay for accommodations while sitting in horrible weather. Yes you will get your cruise refund, just do it in the comforts of your home. GL

Not to mention you are from Concord, have you forgot about the flooding in NC last year?

...or you could just cut down the size of your post by wishing them the best. Just sayin'... Hope everything works out EBFURR.

Just wow.

Current conditions on the south side of Houston are very light rain and ponding and puddling aren't much of a concern since we've been dry for weeks and what's come down so far has been absorbed. Light winds so no tropical gales yet. Here's hoping that once Harvey goes ashore in Corpus the port opens and the ships can get in, load up and get out before "round two" when the dire predictions of a Cat 2 hurricane here next Weds don't come true

For weather geeks like me, below is a link to my favorite tropical storm site that also includes links to the National Hurricane Center (NHC). If you look at the long range spaghetti models (used by the NHC, but not made public by them), you will see that they are now guessing that Hurricane Harvey may be taking a trip up I-45 (through Galveston & Houston) by the middle of next week; hopefully not as a hurricane. Those of us that remember Tropical Storm Allison remember that Allison made a trip up I-45 then turned around and hit us again a couple days later and the second visit is what caused the tremendous flooding that we all hope is never repeated. This may be the repeat, only much worse.

http://www.spaghettimodels.com/

Current conditions on the south side of Houston are very light rain and ponding and puddling aren't much of a concern since we've been dry for weeks and what's come down so far has been absorbed. Light winds so no tropical gales yet. Here's hoping that once Harvey goes ashore in Corpus the port opens and the ships can get in, load up and get out before "round two" when the dire predictions of a Cat 2 hurricane here next Weds don't come true

Airline cancelled lat flight tonight but just confirmed that they are still holding tomorrow's schedule at this point. I am expecting a delay though. We will see. Storm surge predicted at 2-4 ft as of about an hour ago, so maybe this can be pulled off. We are finishing packing - took the day off. We do appreciate the local updates.

Obviously you have to go by what they are saying, you don't have much other choice, but those of us that live here are hearing forecasts that suggest that the airlines, cruise line and port authority are not being quick enough to make their decisions. Like TX_Atlantis_Cruiser said, there's a chance that you'll catch a break in the weather and they'll get everyone in and out. That said, a lot of people are mistaking the lack of any real weather this morning as a sign that it's not coming and that's not smart.

If you do end up stuck here, you will be taken care of. Houston people are decent like that.

For all of you cruisers out of Galveston this weekend, just know that so many people are thinking of you at this time. We feel so badly that you are enduring so much stress when this should be the exciting time...just a couple days until your much long anticipated vacation! Truly hope you will still be able to go!!!:)

Yeah, that ship is not coming In Sunday morning.... And those flights aren't landing in Houston on Saturday. Sorry to be a Debbie Downer but I cruise this time of year every year and have dealt with this in Florida before.

Airline cancelled lat flight tonight but just confirmed that they are still holding tomorrow's schedule at this point. I am expecting a delay though. We will see. Storm surge predicted at 2-4 ft as of about an hour ago, so maybe this can be pulled off. We are finishing packing - took the day off. We do appreciate the local updates.

Wow..just wow...that you actually think you are going on a cruise this weekend. ;p

For all of you cruisers out of Galveston this weekend, just know that so many people are thinking of you at this time. We feel so badly that you are enduring so much stress when this should be the exciting time...just a couple days until your much long anticipated vacation! Truly hope you will still be able to go!!!:)

My thoughts exactly. Looking for the "like" button:hearteyes:

My thoughts exactly. Looking for the "like" button:hearteyes:

I think you will still get to go but the question is does the ship dock Sunday....and if so what time?

If it does, I would hate to be tied to flights planned to land in Houston. I had the same problem last year in Florida, Cant recall the storm name. They offered free cancellation even though the airline didn't officially cancel it yet and I took it....and I drove down, west coast of Florida to avoid the storm, to make the ship for sailing.

With this storm and how its suppose to linger, I question if the Port of Galveston will be open Sunday morning.

People, come on. It's not negative to be realistic.

The Galveston Port was shut down yesterday. Most people in that area are evacuating. The schools are closed, businesses and homes are being boarded and sandbagged....

They are predicting the worst storm in over a decade.

If you cruise on Sunday-which you probably won't-do you even want to?

I love to cruise, but a cruise in the middle of a hurricane does not sound like a good time.

The trouble is this thread will be forgotten by next year when someone posts "should I cruise in hurricane season?" and all the answers will be "YES, the cruise line will just go around the storm." We live in Florida and have been tempted by the cheap fares, but we always say we don't and tell others to take into account airports closures, etc.

The same people who tell others to go and book are sometimes the same ones who say "what do you expect?"

Stay safe, everyone.

The trouble is this thread will be forgotten by next year when someone posts "should I cruise in hurricane season?" and all the answers will be "YES, the cruise line will just go around the storm." We live in Florida and have been tempted by the cheap fares, but we always say we don't and tell others to take into account airports closures, etc.

The same people who tell others to go and book are sometimes the same ones who say "what do you expect?"

Stay safe, everyone.

I cruise every year during Hurricane season but I know the risks and I am ready to deal changes and be flexible. I would never plan a large family cruise with lots of other people though. I also can drive if I have to even though I book flights.