Galveston weather concerns

Actually I would NOT cancel the cruise so I could get a cheaper one with OBC. The cruise IS canceled, Royal just hasn't opened their eyes yet. The port is closed to at least Tues. No one is going to Galveston.

I feel her pain.:loudcry:

Agree. Right now they're stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Here's hoping we hear an official update in the near future. I'm also scheduled on the Sunday departure, and would like to be able to make alternate plans in earnest sooner rather than later - but so far even my Saturday flight is still showing as planned.

I do find it interesting that there are a couple reports of the port saying they'll stay closed through Tuesday, but none of the official Port of Galveston channels appear to be carrying that same message, yet.

This ain't Tennessee:halo:

You're right. Galveston is much more susceptible to flooding damage than Nashville. Best of luck to everyone there. I hope the majority of residents are taking this storm more seriously.

In the Captain's Corner they say they provision food/drinks for at least 10 days, and always have a spare week of fuel in reserve. Water the make on the ship.

So they should be good for a few days, at least.

So why going to NO?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

closing the port is the action of Captain of the Port ... USCG {COTP}

there are standing rules for closing a port and they can be found in the port's hurricane plan, a USCG required document for commercial ports and a public record readily accessible.

https://homeport.uscg.mil/mycg/portal/ep/portDirectory.do?tabId=1&cotpId=28

In general it is fairly 'boiler plate' for all ports: once wind is forecast to be X (gale force sustained) within 24 hours go to condition level .. ; 12 hours next condition level. Preparatory levels tell all ships to GET AWAY or submit plans to COTP. Houston Galveston has gone to the highest level which is 'port closed'

this plan also includes what is to be done b4 the port reopens. The storm must be past and clear .... and a survey must be done to ensure safe navigation. Are the buoys and fixed navigation aids still in place? Has there been any shoaling .. shifting of bottom .. has channel depth changed? Any wrecked vessels? This takes time ...... the port will NOT reopen until this is completed

for every rule there is an exception .... but in this case ya need a really strong argument to justify an exception. Given the forecast track of the storm I really can't see Port of Gal' opening over the weekend. If the storm comes on shore tonight and falls apart .... maybe but that is VERY optimistic at best

Edited by Capt_BJ

Thanks for making this stressful day a little less so. As of now we are going. We have a flight, we have a hotel, we have a rental car (they confirmed that they will be there :rolleyes:) and we have a notice from RCI saying "Don't worry, be happy. We will get into and out of Galveston." Of course, all of this is subject to change without notice. By the way, Monday is our 35th wedding anniversary. Hoping we are somewhere nice at least.

Is there any chance you can call RCI and could get on the Oasis on Sunday? Or the Majesty on Monday?? You're in NC and you can drive there tomorrow?

Is there any chance you can call RCI and could get on the Oasis on Sunday? Or the Majesty on Monday?? You're in NC and you can drive there tomorrow?

I have tried that. No dice. They are putting their faith in the captain's "window". The problem I have is that if the inbound flights get cancelled (my original flight already has been) and the magic window opens, will they sail off without those of us who could not get into HOU and keep our money. I firmly believe that in the circumstances they should allow us to transfer bookings or take a cruise credit. Carnival is doing that, but they have no "class" as we are told on the RCI boards.

closing the port is the action of Captain of the Port ... USCG {COTP}

there are standing rules for closing a port and they can be found in the port's hurricane plan, a USCG required document for commercial ports and a public record readily accessible.

https://homeport.uscg.mil/mycg/portal/ep/portDirectory.do?tabId=1&cotpId=28

In general it is fairly 'boiler plate' for all ports: once wind is forecast to be X (gale force sustained) within 24 hours go to condition level .. ; 12 hours next condition level. Preparatory levels tell all ships to GET AWAY or submit plans to COTP Houston Galveston has gone to the highest level which is 'port closed'

this plan also includes what is to be done b4 the port reopens. The storm must be past and clear .... and a survey must be done to ensure safe navigation. Are the buoys and fixed navigation aids still in place? Has there been any shoaling .. shifting of bottom .. has channel depth changed? And wrecked vessels? This takes time ...... the port will NOT reopen until this is completed

for every rule there is an exception .... but in this case ya need a really strong argument to justify an exception. Given the forecast track of the storm I really can't see Port of Gal' opening over the weekend. If the storm comes on shore tonight and falls apart .... maybe but that is VERY optimistic at best

Agree. Very well said.

I have tried that. No dice. They are putting their faith in the captain's "window". The problem I have is that if the inbound flights get cancelled (my original flight already has been) and the magic window opens, will they sail off without those of us who could not get into HOU and keep our money. I firmly believe that in the circumstances they should allow us to transfer bookings or take a cruise credit. Carnival is doing that, but they have no "class" as we are told on the RCI boards.

You know I might call them back and really give them hell. Ask for a supervisor. Tell them Carnival is doing these changes blah blah etc. Tell them window to make this change is closing also! Tell them it's your 35th anniversary etc. Make sure you call Crown and Anchor. If you get somebody from Guatemala, ask to speak to the Crown and Anchor Society..

I feel for those who have sailings this weekend. I've been on these boards for several hurricanes. While I think it would be prudent for RCI to at least notify of an expected delay to Monday or Tuesday, I also know that they generally make it up to passengers that travel and are unable to sail or are delayed. It seems like it would cost them more $ by waiting as they pay for hotels and other incidentals that they wouldn't be paying for had they delayed it earlier and just payed some airplane change fees (that would likely be free as airlines are offering that).

In any respect, I would be doing the same--if my flights were still on, I would be flying in. I would expect to potentially be in a hotel in the area for a few more days than expected. Maybe even look at other towns around the area to see if there is somewhere i would rather be "stuck".

Personally, my complete guess is that they will announce tomorrow after the models are updated and they see what the storm is "actually" doing that there will be a delayed boarding for Tuesday, potentially Monday. In that case, I'd still rather be in or near the Galveston/Houston area. Spend a few days on a land (albeit wet) vacation and be rested and ready to board for the shortened trip. RCI or insurance should cover the hotel and incidentals/food. And then a prorated refund on the cruise fare + likely a voucher for a % off a future cruise. I'd always prefer to sail as I expected, but I'd roll with the events and make it the best anyway.

For those driving/flying in and those who live in the area, Be safe!

So why going to NO?

It's puzzling. They should have enough for AT LEAST 3-4 days, but honestly I think I have been told a week of emergency supplies. It's not a quick or easy sail up and down the Mississippi so they must not have the provisions they think they need if they have to stay at sea for several days.

Best idea of all on this thread.

. "I firmly believe that in the circumstances they should allow us to transfer bookings or take a cruise credit. Carnival is doing that, but they have no "class" as we are told on the RCI boards. EBFURR"

I agree. It appears Carnival is doing the right thing allowing a cruise credit and RCL is not...at least not yet.

Have mostly done RCL and Princess and a few Celebrity and only 2-3 Carnival. I don't really enjoy the Carnival vibe. But, they ARE outclassing RCL on this subject..

You know I might call them back and really give them hell. Ask for a supervisor. Tell them Carnival is doing these changes blah blah etc. Tell them window to make this change is closing also! Tell them it's your 35th anniversary etc. Make sure you call Crown and Anchor. If you get somebody from Guatemala, ask to speak to the Crown and Anchor Society..

I am on hold doing that right now. I just canceled a future RCI cruise we had booked.

I wonder if Carnival is hoping a lot of people will just get off in New Orleans so that they don't have to keep them on board for an unknown amount of time.

Would PVSA allow getting off? Hurricane/Port Closed loophole?

I am on hold doing that right now. I just canceled a future RCI cruise we had booked.

Excellent! Keep elevating your issues if you don't get the answer you should. I really hope it works out for you. Tell them you're madder than a wet hen and you want service! NOW!

I am just appalled by RCL total lack of guidance and response. I just empathize so much for those booked on the Liberty for next week; I can't imagine the anguish they must be going through. RCL's lack of communication is deplorable.

Carnival seems to be so much superior in how they are handling this. I have lost a great of deal of confidence and respect in RCL.

Excellent! Keep elevating your issues if you don't get the answer you should. I really hope it works out for you. Tell them you're madder than a wet hen and you want service! NOW!

I did all that and more. I went through two "supervisors" and one of them was really condescending. He refused to answer any questions and kept telling me that the hurricane was "just a prediction" at this point. They flat refuse to discuss transferring the booking to another ship. He denied that Carnival is doing anything for their booked passengers even though the Port of Galveston website has a notice saying that they will give future cruise credits. The Carnival CC board has several people who were booked Sunday for Breeze and have already received refunds or credits. I cancelled our January 18 cruise with RCI that I had already paid in full and got a refund. If I get through this mess I am finished with Royal Caribbean.