Galveston weather concerns

I am just appalled by RCL total lack of guidance and response. I just empathize so much for those booked on the Liberty for next week; I can't imagine the anguish they must be going through. RCL's lack of communication is deplorable.

Carnival seems to be so much superior in how they are handling this. I have lost a great of deal of confidence and respect in RCL.

Absolutely. See my previous post. You would not believe the rhetoric that I am getting from them. At this point I could still make another cruise this weekend for our anniversary. They will string this out so long before making a decision that we will have no alternative. Appalling is the word.

This just in..

Liberty of the Seas is also scheduled to arrive in Galveston on Sunday. The cruise line is "still actively monitoring path and progression" of the hurricane, a spokesperson said in an email. The ship plans to leave Cozumel on Friday night and start its journey back to Galveston. "At this time, Liberty of the Seas will keep her original schedule for Sunday's turnaround in Galveston, Texas," the spokesperson said. "Should we make any changes to Liberty of the Seas' itinerary, we will make sure to inform our guests."

It's puzzling. They should have enough for AT LEAST 3-4 days, but honestly I think I have been told a week of emergency supplies. It's not a quick or easy sail up and down the Mississippi so they must not have the provisions they think they need if they have to stay at sea for several days.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

With the forecasts changing, or at least some making it seems the storm might still be in the area through Wednesday, they might need the extra provisions (particularly the ones due on Saturday).

As a passenger, I would much rather be riding up a nice, smooth river then bobbing around in what is probably a rather choppy gulf, at the least.

Just for comparison with "classless" Carnival, here's their statement as of about an hour ago.

CARNIVAL CRUISE LINE STATEMENT 8/25/2017 4:11PM

Prior Updates

View All UpdatesAugust 25, 2017 3:45 PMSTATEMENT FROM CARNIVAL CRUISE LINE

08/25/17 – 1:00 PM (EST)

Carnival Valor and Carnival Freedom are currently keeping a safe distance from the storm as they make their way back to Galveston.

Carnival Breeze is currently docked in Cozumel and will now overnight there. The ship will depart for Galveston tomorrow afternoon to be in position to debark guests when the port reopens.

The Port of Galveston is closed to all marine traffic. It is expected to remain closed until the storm has passed and a port assessment has been completed. Please do not proceed to the cruise terminal until you have heard from us.

Our intention is to dock in Galveston as soon as port officials have reopened the port. The duration of your cruise will have to be shortened and the itinerary modified. Cruise details will be finalized once we have confirmed our arrival into Galveston. Guests who sail will receive a pro-rated refund of their cruise fare for missed days and refund of any pre-purchased Carnival Adventures for canceled ports. Additionally, guests who pre-purchased any of our beverage packages will receive a pro-rated refund. Gratuities will also be adjusted to reflect the shortened duration.

We certainly understand the impact Hurricane Harvey is having on your cruise plans. Should you wish to cancel and receive a future cruise credit, please call 1-800-CARNIVAL, contact your Personal Vacation Planner at 1-800-819-3902, or your travel agent.

We continue to actively monitor the storm and will update you tomorrow at 3:00PM CDT. To stay up to date, please sign up for text alerts by texting the codes below to CRUISE (278473).

Carnival Freedom 08/26/17 - CCL1

Carnival Valor 08/26/17 - CCL2

Carnival Breeze 08/27/17 - CCL3

https://www.carnival.com/travel-alerts.aspx

August 25, 2017 11:57 AMOn Friday, Aug. 25 at Noon the Captain of the Port set port condition Zulu for the Port of Galveston and surrounding area. This means that gale force winds are expected within 12 hours.

I would have directed them to the Carnival website where it is written plain as day that they are doing the right thing. I don't think you said before whether you have insurance or booked using a card that offers it. If so, have you looked into your options there? The best case scenario if you do, would be that the flights are all canceled and your insurance refunds you all of it.

Exactly when was last time you cruised Royal?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Last August. We went on Carnival for the first time in June and have another carnival booked in October. We had a Jan 18 RCI cruise booked but I just cancelled. We have been during this week 9 previous times since our anniversary is the 28th and earlier in August a couple of times. We will not be doing business with RCI any longer after this. You would not believe the attitude I got from one of their "supervisors". I think it is evident that I had a positive outlook but that was of no consequence. They dismiss the weather forecast and deny that Carnival is offering credits. They have no concern for cancelled flights and told me that if the ship sails and I am not there that I just miss it. I tried to be a happy camper.

Last August. We went on Carnival for the first time in June and have another carnival booked in October. We had a Jan 18 RCI cruise booked but I just cancelled. We have been during this week 9 previous times since our anniversary is the 28th and earlier in August a couple of times. We will not be doing business with RCI any longer after this. You would not believe the attitude I got from one of their "supervisors". I think it is evident that I had a positive outlook but that was of no consequence. They dismiss the weather forecast and deny that Carnival is offering credits. They have no concern for cancelled flights and told me that if the ship sails and I am not there that I just miss it. I tried to be a happy camper.

I have been on royal alot but have been considering a Carnival cruise again. Im not eve effected by this but the way they are handling this makes me wont to go poke around the Carnival website

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd say that Carnival has it much more together than Royal Caribbean at this time. Here is a quote released just a short time ago on the Royal Caribbean website and I quote.

"August 25, 2017

We are still actively monitoring the path and progression of Hurricane Harvey. At this time, Liberty of the Seas will keep her original schedule for Sunday’s turnaround in Galveston, Texas. Should we make any changes to Liberty of the Seas' itinerary, we will make sure to inform our guests.

We will post another update on Saturday, August 26, 2017 by 12:00 PM CT. "

Just for comparison with "classless" Carnival, here's their statement as of about an hour ago.

CARNIVAL CRUISE LINE STATEMENT 8/25/2017 4:11PM

Prior Updates

View All UpdatesAugust 25, 2017 3:45 PMSTATEMENT FROM CARNIVAL CRUISE LINE

08/25/17 – 1:00 PM (EST)

Carnival Valor and Carnival Freedom are currently keeping a safe distance from the storm as they make their way back to Galveston.

Carnival Breeze is currently docked in Cozumel and will now overnight there. The ship will depart for Galveston tomorrow afternoon to be in position to debark guests when the port reopens.

The Port of Galveston is closed to all marine traffic. It is expected to remain closed until the storm has passed and a port assessment has been completed. Please do not proceed to the cruise terminal until you have heard from us.

Our intention is to dock in Galveston as soon as port officials have reopened the port. The duration of your cruise will have to be shortened and the itinerary modified. Cruise details will be finalized once we have confirmed our arrival into Galveston. Guests who sail will receive a pro-rated refund of their cruise fare for missed days and refund of any pre-purchased Carnival Adventures for canceled ports. Additionally, guests who pre-purchased any of our beverage packages will receive a pro-rated refund. Gratuities will also be adjusted to reflect the shortened duration.

We certainly understand the impact Hurricane Harvey is having on your cruise plans. Should you wish to cancel and receive a future cruise credit, please call 1-800-CARNIVAL, contact your Personal Vacation Planner at 1-800-819-3902, or your travel agent.

We continue to actively monitor the storm and will update you tomorrow at 3:00PM CDT. To stay up to date, please sign up for text alerts by texting the codes below to CRUISE (278473).

Carnival Freedom 08/26/17 - CCL1

Carnival Valor 08/26/17 - CCL2

Carnival Breeze 08/27/17 - CCL3

https://www.carnival.com/travel-alerts.aspx

August 25, 2017 11:57 AMOn Friday, Aug. 25 at Noon the Captain of the Port set port condition Zulu for the Port of Galveston and surrounding area. This means that gale force winds are expected within 12 hours.

It appears Carnival has learned some lessons and RCL is on the verge of a PR nightmare

The RCI rep I talked said they were not worried about it. Also, when I mentioned angry Cruise Critic members he said (very sarcastically) "I'm not even going to address Cruise Critic". They really don't see a problem. "At this point the hurricane is just a prediction. No one knows what Sunday will be like." Honest, he said that.

If the cruise is cancelled, insurance would cover. If you just chose not to go, no insurance unless your policy offers "cancel for any reason". You can't cancel before the cruise line announces that the cruise is cancelled or delayed and have insurance coverage. Very few polices offer this type of coverage. However, the RCI cruise travel policy does offer this. We have cancelled as of this afternoon and already have our claim forms to fill out. RCI should have followed Carnival's lead on this. I have friends on board and they are not being told anything except to expect to arrive safely in Galveston on time.

The RCI rep I talked said they were not worried about it. Also, when I mentioned angry Cruise Critic members he said (very sarcastically) "I'm not even going to address Cruise Critic". They really don't see a problem. "At this point the hurricane is just a prediction. No one knows what Sunday will be like." Honest, he said that.

WOW! What a dumb idiot. The hurricane is now a cat 4! and it is a hurricane! I hope you got his name and when you write to Mr. Bayley you might mention him.

I have been on royal alot but have been considering a Carnival cruise again. Im not eve effected by this but the way they are handling this makes me wont to go poke around the Carnival website

We enjoyed our cruise in June on the Sunshine. We are switching to the C. Truthfully, we are not fans of RCIs newer ships. We are finding that we prefer Carnival and this has pretty much sealed it. I do want to try MSC though.