Galveston weather concerns

When Hurricane Ike hit Galveston in 2008 every single car parked in the cruise terminal lots was completely totaled by the storm surge. That looks very likely this time as well. The Port of Galveston is already closed so there is no way this weekend's sailings will happen. The only question now is "Where will those aboard Liberty and the 2 Carnival ships actually disembark..and when?"

We have done over 40 cruises and are booked on Liberty October 1. Should be quite a scene around Galveston then. A few months after Hurricane Ike in 2008 we sailed out of Galveston and saw mass debris still all over the marshes to the port side on the way out to sea. Google "Hurricane Ike Galveston images" to see what Ike did to Galveston in 2008.

Not to minimize the danger of Hurricane Henry but Hurricane Ike in 2008 was a Cat 4 and hit Galveston directly. While hurricanes have a pretty wide area of high winds and rainfall, the storm surge is relatively narrow. The national hurricane center has Henry well inland by 1am on Sunday so its not out of the question that they can get in safely on Sunday or Monday.

Royal's talking to Port of Galveston and will issue an update Friday noon eastern.

I'm sure they have far more data than armchair critics.

PORT OF GALVESTON

9 hrs ·

UPDATE: Royal Caribbean International is actively monitoring path and progression of Hurricane Harvey. At this time, Liberty of the Seas will keep her original schedule for Sunday’s turnaround in Galveston, TX. Should they make any changes to Liberty of the Sea’s itinerary, they will make sure to inform their guests and travel partners.

Royal Caribbean will provide an update tomorrow, August 25th by 12:00 PM EST.

We are booked for Liberty on Sunday and fully expect to sail. We agree about the armchair meteorologists. We lived in hurricane territory on the South Carolina coast for years and have been through many of these storms. It will not be ideal but we will manage. We are more concerned about our Saturday flight being delayed but we have all day to get there. Positive vibes people. :D

Clarifying some misconceptions: Predicted rainfall totals are over 5-7 days; predicted storm surge is 2-4 ft. Ike was 20ft! Ike was not a Cat 4, but Cat 2. The size and storm surge is what made it dangerous. It followed the same path as the 1900 storm. Heavy rain causes flooding everywhere, not indigenous to Galveston.

Ike's storm surge pushed Gulf water across Bolivar into the bays which then came back and flooded the island from the north side.

To say cruisers will lose their vehicles with same event occurring is irresponsible.

We are actually better off due to the grade raising over 115 years ago and the seawall. Water will drain to the port side on the north side of the island.

Yes, streets flood in heavy rain, so does every place.

I am frustrated over false statements which cause undue panic. We live here, are 20 blocks form the Port, have gone through many storms, some long before most of you were born and have spent most of our lives on the coast. We don't take storms lightly. but we also don't accept the hype by media and those who think they know.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Galveston Cruiser

Wow, there seem to be lots of certified meterologists and other hurricane emergency experts on here--sorry folks but I'm with the cruise lines on this one. Having lived in the Houston area for almost 20 years I can tell you that the weather forecasters get it wrong more than right when it comes to hurricanes in Houston. Current predictions are that the storm will come ashore far southwest of Houston in the Corpus Christi area. That's important since though we're on the "dirty" side, we will most likely get LOTS of rain and some wind, but not on the scale of a Cat 3 hurricane. And while 10-20+ inches of rain may possibly cause flooding, the rain is to be spread out over several days and if we're lucky, some lulls occur which can allow street flooding to drain. Also, right now storm surge predictions are well under 10 feet which means Galveston will not see the flooding it did during Hurricane Ike in 2008 when the storm surge pushed ashore on the back of the Island and inundated the Strand. As for closing bridges for winds greater than 35 mph, I'm pretty sure that doesn't apply to the Galveston causeway since it's just not that big of a bridge and I don't remember that happening except for a hurricane.

So bottom line is, Harvey is headed to Corpus and not a direct hit on Houston/Galveston with some models including a NWS product predicting it peters out over the Rio Grande so the cruises scheduled this weekend may not be too adversely affected other than some street flooding (normal in Houston) and flight delays. We will just have to wait and see which is exactly what the cruise lines are doing.

Lol... I assume some of you really don't understand how bad this will be and don't understand hurricanes..some treating like a thunderstorm that may move away. This is a massive storm, it's not going to miss. Comparable to Katrina which had flooding 100's of miles away from center. You all know these cruises should be cancelled but for whatever reason don't see that during storms the cruise industry only thinks of themselves and waits until the last minute to cancel.

The Ports of Galveston and Corpus Christi are already closed. Galveston has problems seasonally with fog closing the port for hours on turn around days. We have participated in those debacles. If the port is closed nothing comes in or goes out.

Do locals deny the Port of Galveston is closed?

Any local predictions on when it will reopen based on current forecasts..??

That is a key question.

Lol... I assume some of you really don't understand how bad this will be and don't understand hurricanes..some treating like a thunderstorm that may move away. This is a massive storm, it's not going to miss. Comparable to Katrina which had flooding 100's of miles away from center. You all know these cruises should be cancelled but for whatever reason don't see that during storms the cruise industry only thinks of themselves and waits until the last minute to cancel.

I DO understand Texas Gulf Coast hurricanes and Houston is NOT dealing with a hurricane, but a tropical storm as far as the effects we will likely see the worst of which is forecast for after the weekend. And I have acknowledged that we will have flooding but unless you've lived here you likely don't understand that we regularly get severe thunderstorms with street flooding and high levels in the bayous, but if there are some breaks in the rain, the storm flooding may not be so bad.

Not to minimize the danger of Hurricane Henry but Hurricane Ike in 2008 was a Cat 4 and hit Galveston directly. While hurricanes have a pretty wide area of high winds and rainfall, the storm surge is relatively narrow. The national hurricane center has Henry well inland by 1am on Sunday so its not out of the question that they can get in safely on Sunday or Monday.

I would more likely go with this scenario, plus there is always the terminal in Houston which was utilized before for emergency. Bus people back to Galveston for their cars if possible. But I don't think there will be the same damage to the vehicles as Ike. Galveston will have rain but I don't think they'll have the storm surge they suffered back in 2008.

It'll be a mess, but make lemonade right....

Having said that, Texas Atlantic Cruiser....this is not just a tropical storm, it IS a class 3 Hurricane...and if one model is correct will still be a class 1 Hurricane for Houston area.

Yes it is a storm, lots of rain - but it is not Katrina. The flooding in New Orleans was due to the levee breaking. Flooding occurs everywhere and anywhere there is a lot of rain.

The cruise lines are not going to place guests, the crew or their ships in danger.

Thanks for that. Always good to hear from a true local. Try to stay dry.

I also live in Houston, the biggest difference between this storm and others is that this isn't a storm that passes quickly like Ike or Andrew. It's expected to stay in the area for 3 days (including Sunday). even if Galveston doesn't get much wind damage, the flooding from constant rain is pretty much certain. And if it floods, there's no way to get to port as the roads will be blocked by water. We had the great memorial day flood in 2015, which was caused by only 6 hours or so of heavy thunderstorms. So just put that into perspective. I highly doubt the Liberty can return this weekend. But either way, I hope you will find out by noon. If the cruise lines make the decision any later, then they're truly beginning to toy with people's lives.

FYI at 9AM EST

Galveston/Houston receiving moderate to heavy rain from an outer band of Harvey. The eye is clearly visible offshore of Corpus. This is not a severe thunderstorm, nor is it a Katrina-like event for Galveston. But it is a large storm that will linger for multiple days.

http://www.intellicast.com/National/Radar/Current.aspx?location=USTX0166

Nobody is saying that it isn't a big storm or that Galveston will be completely unaffected. But there were posts that were saying that people we LIKELY to come back to their cars being destroyed at the port because it happened in 2008.

Storm surge is the biggest cause of destruction in a hurricane for the coast itself. It is limited to the smaller cone of the hurricane which at this point, looks unlikely to hit Galveston directly. High winds could cause damage to the terminal but it is likely built for hurricanes since it is new and code would require it.

Typically these type of storms move rapidly inland so it isn't out of the question that it will be clear in Galveston at some point on Sunday.

Nobody is saying that it isn't a big storm or that Galveston will be completely unaffected. But there were posts that were saying that people we LIKELY to come back to their cars being destroyed at the port because it happened in 2008.

Storm surge is the biggest cause of destruction in a hurricane for the coast itself. It is limited to the smaller cone of the hurricane which at this point, looks unlikely to hit Galveston directly. High winds could cause damage to the terminal but it is likely built for hurricanes since it is new and code would require it.

Typically these type of storms move rapidly inland so it isn't out of the question that it will be clear in Galveston at some point on Sunday.

The latest euro shows a second landfall closer to Houston....this isn't the typical storm as it will be held in the same area due to two other fronts that won't allow it to move closely. Btw the second landfall was at cat 2 category. Sure the model can change, but it won't be a drastic change. The area from corpus Christie through Houston will be dealing with heavy rains, wind and storm surge for several days vs hrs for the typical hurricane. Which brings back to original point that both RC and Carnival should have already cancelled outgoing cruises and put all there focus on getting current ships back to port safely which is going to be a huge task.

It's now pretty much a consensus in every model that the storm moving rapidly inland and dissipating isn't even a possible scenario.

Some flights have already been canceled at Bush this morning.

Galveston is seeing some 40mph winds, and the rain has started.

We are midtown; rain off and on overnight, nothing unusual. Winds at 19 mph from the east. Light rain now, plants loving it after a dry month!

We are midtown; rain off and on overnight, nothing unusual. Winds at 19 mph from the east. Light rain now, plants loving it after a dry month!

The rain woke me up out here in FB county, KPRC was showing 39mph wind gusts in Galveston!

We are booked for Liberty on Sunday and fully expect to sail. We agree about the armchair meteorologists. We lived in hurricane territory on the South Carolina coast for years and have been through many of these storms. It will not be ideal but we will manage. We are more concerned about our Saturday flight being delayed but we have all day to get there. Positive vibes people. :D

Pretty sure that's not happening. It's predicted to linger along the coast, and still be around Galveston by Wednesday.