Galveston weather concerns

Houston is closed as of now due to flooding.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Fixed it for ya![emoji22]

I've lived in Houston for 35 years, and I've never seen anything like this. The rain and flooding is scary and catastrophic. Nobody is driving near or through the city of Houston today or probably several days. If you believe in prayer, we could use them right now and in the days to come.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

CRUISEFAN0001: I'm still trying to understand why you believe it is with passenger safety in mind that RCI expected its customers to enter a disaster area while it was occurring? As someone else posted, it was crystal clear very early yesterday if not before that the disaster would not be ending anytime soon. Now all the people who arrived yesterday will remain in the disaster area for at least another day. How is that safe?

I don't know about the rest of you, but my employer would never expect me to travel to a natural disaster area for work. A company that expects it customers to do so is indefensible.

Just got caught up on last nights posts. Wow.....They are finally letting people cancel. As if they are not already in/near galveston now at this point.

Royals handling of this has been terrible. Carnival, again, should be commended. Im not even effected by this and im pissed at Royal.

Fixed it for ya![emoji22]

I've lived in Houston for 35 years, and I've never seen anything like this. The rain and flooding is scary and catastrophic. Nobody is driving near or through the city of Houston today or probably several days. If you believe in prayer, we could use them right now and in the days to come.

I am waiting for that person from 2 days ago to come back at say "This aint Tennessee" when referencing the Nashville flooding........

Ah found them.... just 2 days ago....

You are grossly and dangerously underestimating the impact of 20" of rain in a single event. In May 2010, Nashville received roughly that amount of rain over 36 hours. The result was DEVASTATING flooding over nearly 2/3 of the state of Tennessee. It was the worst natural disaster in state history. An entire building floated away down I-24 on live television. It took weeks for the metro areas to get back to normal and YEARS for some of the more rural roads to be fully repaired. Nashville sits at a significantly higher elevation than the Texas coast, with many natural waterways for the rainwater to run into, and wasn't looking at a storm surge event on top of that amount of moisture.

I wish all the best to residents and visitors to the southeast Texas area. But it would be the height of foolishness to travel into this storm.

This ain't Tennessee:halo:

20" over 5-6 days is very different than 20" over a day and a half. It's still a lot of rain, but not "close the city for weeks" kind of flooding.
Edited by Deptacon

The latest on the news: The only way to currently get off of Galveston island is I-45, but it is closed in Dickinson (right on the mainland side of the bridge) due to flooding. The other bridge and the ferry are closed.

The airports are having flooding issues. Even one of the Houston TV stations is taking on water.

They expect the flooding to get worse today/tomorrow. Even if it's safe to dock tomorrow, they have no way to get the passengers out of Galveston safely,

This is a heartbreaking situation. Freeways are now impassible.

From NWS Houston-Galveston:

This is a FLASH FLOOD EMERGENCY from the Bay City area to Wharton to

Waller across the Houston Metro area to Stafford to Friendswood to League City and Santa Fe. Travel across the area is severely hampered if not impossible. Over 1000 high water rescues have been performed and in some places emergency crews cannot reach the worst hit areas. 5 fatalities have been reported. Some people are using attics and the second floor to escape the rising flood waters.

Move to higher ground now. This is an extremely dangerous and

life-threatening situation. Do not attempt to travel unless you are fleeing an area subject to flooding or under an evacuation order.

We (Liberty) are offshore outside the port waiting for them to clear us in. The port was doing an inspection this morning at 6:00AM and our ability to dock is being discussed on a conference call at 9:00AM.

Here are the conditions we're in. It looks worse than it is the ship has remained incredibly smooth.

36668604162_f1b74f28cc_c.jpg

They told us to put our luggage out last night and then told us to bring it back in. Assuming we dock today anyone who wants to can use the ship as a hotel for Sunday night. They expect to sail a shortened cruise departing Monday afternoon.

People with RCI air/transfers have to stay on the ship tonight becaue no motorcoaches are available as they are being used by emergency services.

Good times.

We (Liberty) are offshore outside the port waiting for them to clear us in. The port was doing an inspection this morning at 6:00AM and our ability to dock is being discussed on a conference call at 9:00AM.

Here are the conditions we're in. It looks worse than it is the ship has remained incredibly smooth.

They told us to put our luggage out last night and then told us to bring it back in. Assuming we dock today anyone who wants to can use the ship as a hotel for Sunday night. They expect to sail a shortened cruise departing Monday afternoon.

People with RCI air/transfers have to stay on the ship tonight becaue no motorcoaches are available as they are being used by emergency services.

Good times.

Good God, is Royal Caribbean even paying attention to what's going on? Or are they literally still planning on sending people into danger and say you're on your own. Even if you guys are getting off the ship, you won't be going anywhere. We have historic flooding everywhere.

Good times.

At the risk of asking a stupid question, what are they thinking? Where do they think people are going to go? The city of Houston is basically underwater, and there's no end in sight.

Hobby Airport is closed until Wednesday morning at 8:00![emoji15] United has cancelled all flights in and out of IAH and will re-evaluate when the rain stops.

Here's a good "local" and non-hysterical look at the weather...

https://spacecityweather.com/so-were-now-under-a-flash-flood-emergency-for-catastrophic-life-threatening-flooding/

At the risk of asking a stupid question, what are they thinking? Where do they think people are going to go? The city of Houston is basically underwater, and there's no end in sight.

It's almost comical on RC thought process the last 48 hrs. I think the worse for them is yet to happen. I foresee a huge PR nightmare. They have lost hundreds of current and or potential customers in the last 48 hrs but yet they continue with this nonsense of we are docking today.

I believe that they want to get into port and then if people who live in the area want to debark they can. If the airports are still closed and main roads impassable then passengers have a free floating hotel. I do not believe anyone will be forced to leave until airports and roads are open again. I could be wrong but we shall see shortly.

Good times.

I'd love to know 1) Where RCI thinks everyone is going to go on Monday, and how they'll get home, and 2) Where exactly the new passengers are coming from when Houston is basically underwater? It's like they're living in some alternate reality.

BarryH best wishes to you as you ride out this experience.

I work fire/ems on the northside of Harris County, our dispatch screen is lit up with water rescues.

My parents are on the liberty. They plan to drive back toward branson mo when they disembark. Do you think they would be better to stay on the ship tonight - if given the opportunity? I am concerned about them trying to drive in this but also concerned about it getting worse than it is even today.

I also wonder what they are thinking.

I would hope that RRCL has the good sense just to dock the ship and keep all PAX on board until they can get out of the storm zone safely.

If RCCL did something stupid by throwing off PAX into a storm zone the back lash from the public would be awful.

So far I don't like what I am reading about RRCL. To me it looks like they were going to get the PAX off the ship by what I read from BarryH post. They were told at first to put their luggage out, then they were told to take it back in. Luggage out means they were going to get PAX off!

My parents are on the liberty. They plan to drive back toward branson mo when they disembark. Do you think they would be better to stay on the ship tonight - if given the opportunity? I am concerned about them trying to drive in this but also concerned about it getting worse than it is even today.

I'm really not sure driving is an option.

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/hurricane-harvey-houston-texas-impacts