re meat pies

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

Several Members of the Prideaux Clan travelled from England to Australia, NZ and USA from the 1840’s. I doubt they were convicts. The name hails from the Norman invasion in the 10th Century, from 🇫🇷 France.

Les, I’ll check tomorrow but I recall reading some years back that the Prideaux family were originally merchants trading principally in cloth, with the French.  One legend has it that the name was similar, and quite English, but Prideaux seemed more auspicious and would appeal more to their French trading partners.  Sounds feasible, lol. 
on another note, I think we’ll be at the Bay on Thursday of this week, if you have the time and inclination for a coffee or tea.

2 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

Les, I’ll check tomorrow but I recall reading some years back that the Prideaux family were originally merchants trading principally in cloth, with the French.  One legend has it that the name was similar, and quite English, but Prideaux seemed more auspicious and would appeal more to their French trading partners.  Sounds feasible, lol. 
on another note, I think we’ll be at the Bay on Thursday of this week, if you have the time and inclination for a coffee or tea.  I meant to also add that I’ll research Roger Prideaux.  My father and his brothers were cricket tragics of the old irder🥰

Just now, Mareblu said:
6 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

on another note, I think we’ll be at the Bay on Thursday of this week, if you have the time and inclination for a coffee or tea.  I meant to also add that I’ll research Roger Prideaux.  My father and his brothers were cricket tragics of the old irder🥰

*order

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

BTW, ACT cruisers meetup is on Saturday Woden Southern Cross club at 3pm.

Thanks, Mic.  A family birthday this Sat, but we’ll make it if we can.  Do we need to join first?

38 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

Thanks, Mic.  A family birthday this Sat, but we’ll make it if we can.  Do we need to join first?

The group or the club? Neither really, just page for miccanberra (mick), if not a member of the club, by coming you are in the group.

17 hours ago, possum52 said:

Many members of the Prideaux clan not just several emigrated to Aus, NZ and USA. Most who went to the USA were miners. A few who emigrated to South Aus were miners too. DH's were mainly sailors who became farmers when they came to Victoria. I think they hoped to find gold but that was not to be. Although a cousin of Rob's great grandfather was one of the co-finders of the Welcome Stranger nugget.

No Les, the name is not Norman, it is west country, mainly Cornish probably originating around the Cornish/Devon border as far back as the 9th century. The spelling would be because of the Norman scribes as they were the only ones who could write in those times. Although there were many variants of the spelling. 

Some historians say that Paganus de Prideaux came from Normandy with William the Conquerer  in 10th Century and was Lord of the Castle of Prideaux, Cornwall.

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

The group or the club? Neither really, just page for miccanberra (mick), if not a member of the club, by coming you are in the group.

Will certainly be there if we can certainly get away from the birthday celebrations.🙏

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

OK, how about 10am Thursday @ Crumb, Batehaven. (around the corner from bakery?) I will be out the front.

How about 11am?  We have a couple of things to do here before leaving.  Is that too late for you?

20 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Some historians say that Paganus de Prideaux came from Normandy with William the Conquerer  in 10th Century and was Lord of the Castle of Prideaux, Cornwall.

Yes, Les, that is an accepted account.  All branches of the family would seem to trace their origins to Paganus.  Some historians, however, believe that there were many more Normans already settled around Cornwall and surrounding counties before the Conquest, so whether he was already "in residence" is unclear.  I'll reply to Leigh on my family line.  Looking forward to seeing you Thursday if 11am is okay (see my above post).

Linda

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mareblu said:

Yes I do.  That’s extraordinary.  I am descended from Sir John Prideaux of Adeston Manor in Devon, and his wife Maude French, through their daughterJulianne, born at Adeston in about 1420.  The  benefit in genealogy of a titled family us that records are documented.  I have the same bonus on my mother’s Scottish side.  I need to go into my ancestry.com records on my PC tomorrow to check dates and lines, but I know it stretches back as far as least the 1300s.  Sir Peter Prideaux-Brune is descended from that original line, but of course the line eventually divided and Prideaux Place was established much later.  I’ll search for William and Johanna tomorrow.  How exciting!  There would, of course, be squillions of fellow descendants floating around the world.

Leigh, I meant to quote you, but it seems I'm continuing my post of last night.  Anyhooo....

The UK Millennium File allows me to trace one side of my paternal line back to my 20th (!) great grandfather, Roger Prideaux and his wife (my 20th g.gmother) Elizabeth Treverbyn, but I don't have birth or death dates for them.  However, their son, my 19th g.gfthr, was Sir John Prideaux, born in 1330 at Adeston, Devon.  He married Joan Adeston of Adeston Manor, and they had two listed sons, Giles and Gilbert.  I am descended from Giles.  There were then several John Prideauxs, one of whom produced Juliann (spelling often differs) who became a Somaster upon her marriage.  I am also descended from her.  It seems the ancient Prideaux family inhabited both Devon and Cornwall. Sir Peter of Prideaux Place, Padstow is from a younger line of the family, according to my research.  I certainly did find during my research this morning your William Prideaux of Girbrand (1522-1564) (that spelling also differs occasionally) and his wife Johanna Munday (1512-1564) they also produced a John Prideaux who married Joan Scampe.  According to some historians, in the 12th and 13th centuries, the family name seems to have been Pridias or Priddis, and became "a French affectation" altered to a form based on the French pres d'eaux or pre d'eaux meaning "near waters or meadow of waters".  One of my ancient Sir Johns was a Member of Parliament, so presumably literate (or perhaps not, as I think at least one of our present MPs could do with the services of a scribe🙄).

I will need to do a lot more searching and combing of public family trees to see if I can fit your William as a sibling of one of my ancestors.  If we could go back far enough, I'm sure that would be the answer.

Genealogy is one of my passions, but it is so time-consuming, and frustrating, when some records duplicate or contradict others.  My warm familial regards to your husband 🙂

Linda

29 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

Will certainly be there if we can certainly get away from the birthday celebrations.🙏

I forgot to add that we've been S.C. members since just about its beginning (that dates us, I know).  Our son-in-law's father was President for many years.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, NSWP said:

One of the first Prideaux family trees was published in the 1800s and stated that Paganus de Prideaux or Pridias was living at Prideaux Castle, Luxullion before the time of the Conquest in 1066. Pridias is of Celtic origin and was pronounced as Pridicks - hence the Prideaux spelling. Most of the authorities agree that the earliest form of the name was something like Pridias, and that the name is of Cornish origin. The first documented appearance of the French spelling Prideaux did not appear until Plantengent times. For at least the past several centuries the name has been Pridicks in Cornwall and Devon. The final /ks/ is a spelling pronounciation of the x in the French orthography.

We pronounce our surname as Prido (Prideaux). The Prideaux family along with relatives from marriage were all great landowners in Cornwall and Devon but as fortunes changed due to politics and war, the Prideauxs also changed and became builders, farmers, fishermen, sailors, bankers etc. Rob's line came from the Isles of Scilly to Victoria. There aren't any Prideauxs left on the Isles but there are possibly other relatives.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mareblu said:

Leigh, I meant to quote you, but it seems I'm continuing my post of last night.  Anyhooo....

The UK Millennium File allows me to trace one side of my paternal line back to my 20th (!) great grandfather, Roger Prideaux and his wife (my 20th g.gmother) Elizabeth Treverbyn, but I don't have birth or death dates for them.  However, their son, my 19th g.gfthr, was Sir John Prideaux, born in 1330 at Adeston, Devon.  He married Joan Adeston of Adeston Manor, and they had two listed sons, Giles and Gilbert.  I am descended from Giles.  There were then several John Prideauxs, one of whom produced Juliann (spelling often differs) who became a Somaster upon her marriage.  I am also descended from her.  It seems the ancient Prideaux family inhabited both Devon and Cornwall. Sir Peter of Prideaux Place, Padstow is from a younger line of the family, according to my research.  I certainly did find during my research this morning your William Prideaux of Girbrand (1522-1564) (that spelling also differs occasionally) and his wife Johanna Munday (1512-1564) they also produced a John Prideaux who married Joan Scampe.  According to some historians, in the 12th and 13th centuries, the family name seems to have been Pridias or Priddis, and became "a French affectation" altered to a form based on the French pres d'eaux or pre d'eaux meaning "near waters or meadow of waters".  One of my ancient Sir Johns was a Member of Parliament, so presumably literate (or perhaps not, as I think at least one of our present MPs could do with the services of a scribe🙄).

I will need to do a lot more searching and combing of public family trees to see if I can fit your William as a sibling of one of my ancestors.  If we could go back far enough, I'm sure that would be the answer.

Genealogy is one of my passions, but it is so time-consuming, and frustrating, when some records duplicate or contradict others.  My warm familial regards to your husband 🙂

Linda

Genealogy is sure time consuming Linda. I started researching in 1980s before the online resources of today. I spent many school holidays at libraries and the Mormon Family Research room near us. My Prideaux research was helped along by a family bible that Rob's great grandparents brought with them from Cornwall in 1863. It had family birthdays and deaths recorded for a few generations. A godsend to this novice. As for general Prideaux research, the book 'Prideaux A Westcountry Clan' by R M (Roy) Prideaux published in 1989 is my go to resource. An amazing amount of information has been put together by Roy. 

William who married Johanna Munday - never known him as William of Girband, he is William of Trevose in all records I have seen. He was the great great grandson of your ancestor Sir John Prideaux and his 3rd wife Ann Sapton. William's great grandfather William Prideaux of Adeston was a half brother to your Juliann.

Sir Peter Brune-Prideaux is descended from William of Trevose's son John of Padstow and Rob is descended from his 2nd son Richard of St Issey. 

If you would like to contact me further my email address is leighprideaux at hotmail.com

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mareblu said:

Wonderful.  See you there and then, Les.

Linda

Change of plan if suitable, give you more time to get here and more comfortable..Cat club at 12 Thursday for a luncheon, they do $15 lunches. I will shout the bottle of vino. See you in foyer.

2 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Change of plan if suitable, give you more time to get here and more comfortable..Cat club at 12 Thursday for a luncheon, they do $15 lunches. I will shout the bottle of vino. See you in foyer.

Sounds great, we need to call in to renew our fees anyway, but we’re doing Dry July so you’ll have to drink the whole bottle🤣. See you in the foyer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mareblu said:

Sounds great, we need to call in to renew our fees anyway, but we’re doing Dry July so you’ll have to drink the whole bottle🤣. See you in the foyer.

Glass for me then, confirmed.🍷🍷would kill me to go a month with no vino, lol.

9 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Genealogy is sure time consuming Linda. I started researching in 1980s before the online resources of today. I spent many school holidays at libraries and the Mormon Family Research room near us. My Prideaux research was helped along by a family bible that Rob's great grandparents brought with them from Cornwall in 1863. It had family birthdays and deaths recorded for a few generations. A godsend to this novice. As for general Prideaux research, the book 'Prideaux A Westcountry Clan' by R M (Roy) Prideaux published in 1989 is my go to resource. An amazing amount of information has been put together by Roy. 

William who married Johanna Munday - never known him as William of Girband, he is William of Trevose in all records I have seen. He was the great great grandson of your ancestor Sir John Prideaux and his 3rd wife Ann Sapton. William's great grandfather William Prideaux of Adeston was a half brother to your Juliann.

Sir Peter Brune-Prideaux is descended from William of Trevose's son John of Padstow and Rob is descended from his 2nd son Richard of St Issey. 

If you would like to contact me further my email address is leighprideaux at hotmail.com

Amazing research, Leigh, and thanks for saving me all that toil to make the connection.  Such a wonderful coincidence.  Our common ancestors would be apoplectic to learn their future descendants would be in electronic contact in an undiscovered land.  Thanks for email address, I’ll drop you a line in the next few days after I hop back on ancestry.com.

Linda

• Like 1