beverage package and cell service

Snuffy27

We have a promotional drink package on our HAL Eurodam Alaska cruise. We are allowed 15 drinks per day pp. Were told we are limited to $8 or less per drink (although recently have been told this has been increased to $9). This price is supposed to include service charges. Does this mean we are limited to ordering a drink that is approximate 6.50 - 7.00 (excluding the 15% service charge) on the menu or does the price listed on drink menu include the service charge?

Question #2. Do we have cell service while out to sea? We have a large group traveling with us and trying to determine how to communicate with our friends while cruising, re: our whereabouts, etc.

We have a promotional drink package on our HAL Eurodam Alaska cruise. We are allowed 15 drinks per day pp. Were told we are limited to $8 or less per drink (although recently have been told this has been increased to $9). This price is supposed to include service charges. Does this mean we are limited to ordering a drink that is approximate 6.50 - 7.00 (excluding the 15% service charge) on the menu or does the price listed on drink menu include the service charge?

Question #2. Do we have cell service while out to sea? We have a large group traveling with us and trying to determine how to communicate with our friends while cruising, re: our whereabouts, etc.

9$ limit is correct and grats

Limited to no cell service from what I read

Sent from my SM-G950W using Forums mobile app

You will have cell service at sea, but I think it is expensive. (I don't know the rates as we don't use it.) The ship's cell phone connection will be switched off when you are close to land.

From Know Before You Go:

Mobile Phones: Holland America Line, through an agreement withWireless Maritime Service, proudly offers an advanced roamingnetwork onboard all Holland America ships allowing you to makeand receive calls, send and receive text messages and access emailsand surf the web while at sea using your own mobile phone andtelephone number.The Wireless Maritime Service system is available for use when theship is in international waters. When user’s phones pick the shipboardsignal, their phone will usually display “cellularatsea”, “Ship Roam” or“901-18”. Depending on the handset and the carrier the user may berequired to select “Roam” on the handset.For frequently asked questions about cell phone service on board,please go to www.wmsatsea.com.For questions about your service or about billing, please contact yourhome network customer service.

If you all purchase internet packages you can email each other with your phones or laptop/tablets. I have heard of groups that rent a Lido cabana as a "home base" to meet and/or leave each other messages.

Edited by catl331

I have heard of groups that rent a Lido cabana as a "home base" to meet and/or leave each other messages.

I wouldn't recommend this as an option. There are limits on the number of guests per cabana. I'm fairly certain that guests in the other cabanas won't appreciate a large group coming and going. That area is supposed to be a quiet and peaceful spot used for rest and relaxation and not as a meeting place for a large group. I know that I would be complaining if I were renting a cabana and a large group was using it in this manner.

Just look at the menu. If it's $9 or less, it's covered.

If you have the SBP through Explore-4 or you purchased it online or onboard, the service charge (15%) is already paid. You don't have to worry about it. The current limit is $9 and that is for ANY drink on the menu that costs $9 or less. Don't even consider the service charge, it's already taken care of. If you are weighing the benefits of the beverage package, forget about the 15 drink limit. Most people never approach that limit, but still find value in the package. A typical $7.95 drink, plus 15% will cost you $9.14 if you are paying as you go. Based on that $9.14 total drink price, your break even number is 5.6 drinks. After that, you are drinking free. The SBP costs $44.95 per cruise day + 15% service charge = $51.70 total cost per cruise day. Divide $51.70 by $9.14 and you get 5.6 drinks. Of course, beers. specialty coffees, wine prices will differ. The only advantage I see for the Elite Beverage Package ($11.50 per day extra, including the 15% SC) is in wine. Many of the wine offerings are above $8. The recent increase to $9 helps, but if you want the full wine selection, the Elite package at $15 per drink covers many more wines and the specialty drinks.

Does the Signature package (offered with Explore 4) include bottled water, soda, lattes, etc.?

Any drink on board is my understanding. (Within the price limit) from reading the terms and conditions. The only place it doesn't work is the mini bar & HMC to the best of my knowledge.