Space Needle question

DaveOKC

We are planning on visiting the Seattle Space Needle on Sept 28, a Thursday, in the late morning (around 11 am). I have seen comments about purchasing tickets in advance, but was wondering if this is really necessary given our midweek visit in late Sept?

If you were positive that the time you would pre purchase the tickets for, is the times you will get there and you will not be delayed, I would recommend it. When the Space Needle is busy, it is super busy! You will often walk up and have to buy a ticket for much later in the day because everything is already booked. Which means you will have to ride the monorail back or find something else to do near the space needle or go get your car and pay to park a couple more times. Depending on what your situation is. If you get there and it's not super busy and there were tickets available, then you got to wait in a shorter line and you didn't have to stress about it. Also is anyone in your party someone that gets motion sick?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

In late September I wouldn't be worried about it. I'd be more worried that the weather will be poor and you won't get your money's worth.

That's an excellent point. I have spent about 30 days total in Seattle over the years and never had bad weather but I have been very lucky. And I'm aware of it! On an extremely cloudy day you likely won't see anything from the top. If you're talking about pre-purchasing the night before or very early the morning of, like as soon as you get up before they are even open, that wouldn't be a bad idea. But a week or more in advance? Probably not.

Renovation on the Space Needle begins in September. The restaurant will be closed. The observation deck will be done in sections and will remain, at least partially, open. Not sure if the full menu at the cafe in the observation area will be available as they get food from the restaurant. I would wait until I get there. You can buy tickets at the kiosk and look around the store or Seattle Center if there is a brief wait.

We are planning on visiting the Seattle Space Needle on Sept 28, a Thursday, in the late morning (around 11 am). I have seen comments about purchasing tickets in advance, but was wondering if this is really necessary given our midweek visit in late Sept?

Are you familiar with the Seattle tourist season? It's 365 days long. Any day that ends in 'y' is eligible. Cruise season is but a pebble on a football field (or pitch, if you prefer).

Are you familiar with the Seattle tourist season? It's 365 days long. Any day that ends in 'y' is eligible. Cruise season is but a pebble on a football field (or pitch, if you prefer).

That's pretty much how I felt about this. Never been to Seattle on a slow day.

We just visited a month ago and neglected to pre-purchase our tickets. We strolled up to the kiosk around 10:30am to find that the first available slot was at 2:30pm! It wasn't difficult to find things to amuse us (and the kids) in the meantime BUT when we arrived at the Space Needle at 2:15pm we were not allowed into line until exactly 2:30pm. From here on it was a long, hot, sticky wait and we didn't actually get up to the top until 3:15pm!!! So just bear in mind that even with a timed ticket, that is only the time you can start lining up - NOT the time you actually get up top!

Is the Sky View Observatory at the Columbia Center the same way? I mean, go to purchase admission only to have to return later?

The Sky view Observatory is 180 ft higher than the Space needle and a 360 Degree view. The price is less than 1/2 the price of the space needle and usually no wait. The viewing area is 3 times larger than the 55 year old Space needle. You can get your hand stamped and come back anytime during the day.

Is the Sky View Observatory at the Columbia Center the same way? I mean, go to purchase admission only to have to return later?

No, you can go right up after purchasing your ticket. As mentioned, they will stamp your hand if you want to return at a later time.