What's next stage of plan for 3 ships displaced by Harvey?

LMaxwell

I looked at Galveston cams earlier and the parking/drop off area and the street in front of the terminal were under water. There were white caps in the water. Also, streets and buildings in The Strand are flooded. It was still raining.

If I were on there, I would expect free lodging and meals, but I would have no reasonable expectation for any sort of a drink discount. That's ludicrous to think otherwise! ;p

LOL! Ludicrous would be charging them room and board to stay on the ship. Discounts to extend the drink package would be a nice gesture. ;)

I wonder if they are still doing shows, comedy club, and all the other activities or have just reduced it to bare bones.

IMO they would be justified to close down all the food options aside from the buffet and roll back the activities.

Justified maybe but then it would suck to be there and not many would want to come back. :D

Carnival has gone above and beyond in their response to this issue. I am amazed at people who feel that they should still be doing more. If you are on a Carnival ship and not paying for it, then Carnival is losing money fast. Not only are you on the ship free, but the paying customer who was supposed to replace you just got their money back.

I wonder if they are still doing shows, comedy club, and all the other activities or have just reduced it to bare bones.

IMO they would be justified to close down all the food options aside from the buffet and roll back the activities.

I was on the Freedom and got off on Saturday at the NOLA stop. They had announced that they had 4 new comedians coming in for shows. They were planning other activities as well.

Guys Burgers was grilling away and the Blue Iguana was also open for lunch.

I feel bad for the room stewards and dining staff who are probably not getting tips for these days. I would be surprised if Carnival is adding charges to the S&S for tips for the extra days.

Carnival is taking care of the gratuities for the staff. I was on the Freedom and got off on Saturday in NOLA. I'm sure that some of the passengers are also taking care of the staff as well.

Hopefully everyone who lives in the Houston area that's on board has been able to contact neighbors or family to find out what has affected them personally. The parking lots are already flooded at this point; there's nothing that can be done. There's no way to secure one's property at this point. If I lived in the Houston area (and I have immediate family in League City), I'd be relieved to have the opportunity to stay on the ship. It beats a shelter for sure, and there's no way to get back to Houston regardless of where you debark. Airports, highways, trains, etc. remain closed. I would contact someone that lived in my area, prepare myself for what was to come, and keep buying Cheers!...it's the last opportunity that those folks will have to relax for a very long time. It's a horrible situation.

Hopefully everyone who lives in the Houston area that's on board has been able to contact neighbors or family to find out what has affected them personally. The parking lots are already flooded at this point; there's nothing that can be done. There's no way to secure one's property at this point. If I lived in the Houston area (and I have immediate family in League City), I'd be relieved to have the opportunity to stay on the ship. It beats a shelter for sure, and there's no way to get back to Houston regardless of where you debark. Airports, highways, trains, etc. remain closed. I would contact someone that lived in my area, prepare myself for what was to come, and keep buying Cheers!...it's the last opportunity that those folks will have to relax for a very long time. It's a horrible situation.

By brother is in Galveston right now & has confirmed so far the parking lots have not flooded. Some of the parking lots have people staying there 24 hours a day & they have pumps ready to pump out the lots. My brother also told me that wreckers were used to move a few cars that parked in low lying areas to keep water from getting in them. It appears the parking lots are doing all they can to keep cars from flooding.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Carnival has gone above and beyond in their response to this issue. I am amazed at people who feel that they should still be doing more. If you are on a Carnival ship and not paying for it, then Carnival is losing money fast. Not only are you on the ship free, but the paying customer who was supposed to replace you just got their money back.
I agree. It almost seems like some people want to blame and punish Carnival for causing a hurricane. Totally ridiculous.

This message may have been entered via voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

I think Carnival is being very fair, even generous, under the circumstances. I would be happy with what is being offered for free if I were on board. Cheers discounts? No. If the delay were Carnival's fault, then maybe, but storms and flooding is an "act of God," not Carnival's doing.

I welcome all participants but would like to stay on the topic of "what happens next"; there are multiple existing threads regarding the events of the past few days that have vigorous discussion. This one the angles a bit different

My wife and I are set to sail on the valor September 4th and my biggest concern is being able to drive through Houston to Galveston, and if the terminal has the staffing to handle a boarding. Six years ago we were evacuated for 4 weeks for the Bastrop fire's and it was a week before we were able to return to work. I understand what these people are going through and the rain is just now starting to slow down and they want to start boarding ships in 4 days, I just dont know if they will have the staffing.

I am currently on th Breeze.

Carnival has gone above and beyond to make sure we are all taken car of. we have been able to call out for freee, free wifi, all restaurants remain open, entertainment is the same as usual.

We have been told that about 80% of the passengers have already been able to disembark in New Orleans .

We are parked in Galveston, have 2 vehicles there. So we are riding out the storm and hoping for the best whenever we are able to dock in Galveston.

We have been given daily updates on the situation in Houston and Galveston.

We should be leaving New Orleans on Thursday evening and heading towards Galveston. Hoping To be able to dock on Friday or Saturday.

If anyone has any questions, I will be happy to try and answer them for you.

I am currently on th Breeze.

Carnival has gone above and beyond to make sure we are all taken car of. we have been able to call out for freee' date=' free wifi, all restaurants remain open, entertainment is the same as usual.

We have been told that about 80% of the passengers have already been able to disembark in New Orleans .

We are parked in Galveston, have 2 vehicles there. So we are riding out the storm and hoping for the best whenever we are able to dock in Galveston.

We have been given daily updates on the situation in Houston and Galveston.

We should be leaving New Orleans on Thursday evening and heading towards Galveston. Hoping To be able to dock on Friday or Saturday.

If anyone has any questions, I will be happy to try and answer them for you.[/quote']

Great info, thanks for posting it. Interesting that most of the ship disembarked. Hope it all works out for your cars and wherever home is.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

By brother is in Galveston right now & has confirmed so far the parking lots have not flooded. Some of the parking lots have people staying there 24 hours a day & they have pumps ready to pump out the lots. My brother also told me that wreckers were used to move a few cars that parked in low lying areas to keep water from getting in them. It appears the parking lots are doing all they can to keep cars from flooding.

Thanks for the correction. I was watching the Weather Channel and while the reporter was standing in waist deep water he pointed to the port and the parking lot which was directly adjacent to where he was standing. I assumed that it was all part of the same situation.

I am amazed at the people that think they deserve some sort of compensation for this. THIS CAN HAPPEN WHEN YOU BOOK DURING HURRICANE SEASON, PEOPLE! Crazy! Deal with it or book, as I do, during high season. Yes, we get storms, but no hurricanes!!