Just Off Norwegian Escape -- I'll Take an Obnoxious Cruise Director for $1000, Alex

mmmmbacon

Isn't it interesting how we all can experience the same cruise director doing the same things and have totally different reactions? I guess it's the same reason we all don't love Taylor Swift or the comedy of Jim Carey.

What's "tacky" to some equals "life of the party" to others. Cruise directors come and go, so I rarely sweat it. They can definitely help make a cruise for me, but they really don't break it. It IS interesting that some of the most obnoxious cruise directors are very nice and reasonably mellow if you get them one:one.

Exactly...which is why I try to have an open mind with almost everything in life....otherwise you will be greatly disappointed at least half of the time.

Looking back I see you do this a lot

I agree that doing research before you cruise is a good idea, but the OP just gave a review, and people reply about all the things they should have known.

You live and learn, but some people all want to be teachers

A lot is an understatement. Some people just always have to be the smartest person in the room or their ego can't handle it.

A lot is an understatement. Some people just always have to be the smartest person in the room or their ego can't handle it.

Well they have to get their quota in to be eligible for the prestigious Cruisie Awards, the highlight of the year on Cruise Critic and where you will earn the respect and admiration of the entire world.

...What? There's no such thing as the Cruisies? So nobody else is keeping track of how many posts you make? Or who made the definitive final post in a thread? Or that you informed every new poster about how they did everything wrong on their cruise?

Interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

2. We brought a $100 bottle of wine on board to celebrate my in-law's 50th anniversary. It was taken out of our suitcase and we had to pay the $15 corkage fee to have it returned.

Wait a sec....these people go through your luggage??????????????????????????????

We did the cruise on the 16th and it was Andre. He was completely absent. Went to 2 of the evening parties and not there, Dave did all the work. Apparently he did the game shows in the atrium but we didn't do those. I found his absence remarkable as normally they turn up everywhere.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Only when they find something suspicious in the x-ray. No, they're not opening up every suitcase and rummaging through it looking for contraband.

That's disconcerting.

That my luggage will be rummaged through if someone "thinks" they see something on an x-ray.

At least when the TSA does it, the lock shows as much so I know PLUS they leave a card inside

indicating an inspection was performed, does a cruise line do the same? How do they open TSA

locks when they aren't the TSA?

I'm 76 years old and I loved Tyler, so it's not an age thing about liking or not liking Tyler. In fact, I booked another cruise on the Escape next year hoping that Tyler will be the cruise director.

I think I could have dealt with him if he didn't ruin the deck parties, especially Glow.

So I guess my question is, did you go to the Glow party? Because even the waitresses agreed when I mentioned his nonstop screaming and people walking out. They said it happens every cruise "but he stops soon." :D But honest to God, I would literally book a different ship if I knew he was the CD again. Just too much across the board--talking, shouting, repeating the same thing over and over...argh. No.

He is a 50 year old marketing managers vision of what a 12 year old thinks a cool 20-25 year old is like. He is doing exactly what NCL wants. I think in time he will get a bit more refined. He's a hard worker but hopefully he can move past MC'ing every event with the "Let's get readyyyyyyyy to RrrrrrrrrrrrrrruuMMMMMBBBBBBLLLLE" cadence

regarding the towels and chair, my boyfriend and I love being in the pool or hot tub and will sometimes be in the water over an hour but do plan to use the chairs and leave my book or bag there because they cannot go in the water with us. I think it is rude for anyone to move my things, at the most ask the staff and they will move it.

Wait a sec....these people go through your luggage??????????????????????????????

Only when they find something suspicious in the x-ray. No, they're not opening up every suitcase and rummaging through it looking for contraband.

Last time I was unsuccessful at smuggling booze I received a notice saying my luggage was being held and I had to go to the naughty room and open it. Has this procedure changed?

regarding the towels and chair, my boyfriend and I love being in the pool or hot tub and will sometimes be in the water over an hour but do plan to use the chairs and leave my book or bag there because they cannot go in the water with us. I think it is rude for anyone to move my things, at the most ask the staff and they will move it.

Chairhog!

I liked Tyler, but I didn't see him all that often, so I probably didn't get the chance to see all his bad behavior. I only saw him at the late-night parties, where he was...partying. And at the Q&A.

As for "inappropriate" things from the staff, I only saw one, and I almost hesitate to bring it up... There was a guy with a cane, and one of the staff members at the '80s party took it and started fooling with it, playing with it. The guy whose cane it was was amused and all, but I was like dude, you don't take someone's cane? I don't know that he literally ripped it out of the guy's hand without warning, but I don't think he really went over it with him, either. More of a "OK if I grab this? Yeah, I'm grabbing this" gesture. I was just kind of flabbergasted, anyway.