Could we lose our balcony?

rbslos18

I'm concerned about the 'no meta upgrade' comment by a Princess supervisor. Is this new or just someone trying to argue with the OP on the Princess end of things?

I have actually encountered a travel agent in the past that went on and on about being a commodore (or having that status) and she knew nothing about the meta upgrade. Calling back and speaking with someone else, they noted my reservation with a meta upgrade only.

I'm concerned about the 'no meta upgrade' comment by a Princess supervisor. Is this new or just someone trying to argue with the OP on the Princess end of things?

I have actually encountered a travel agent in the past that went on and on about being a commodore (or having that status) and she knew nothing about the meta upgrade. Calling back and speaking with someone else, they noted my reservation with a meta upgrade only.

I think it may be a new thing. I had what I thought was a meta upgrade, but was told by several reps and the supervisor that meta is in the notes and most often they don't see that. There is only a check off box for no upgrade. It was very distressing because our upcoming cruise has 7 sea days and we had chosen a balcony that was larger than most and that my upgrade was to a completely obstructed balcony that was smaller than the one that we had booked.

You're supposed to be able to refuse a cabin assignment within 48? hours. So keep an eye on your Personalizer and if that's what you get and you don't want a SUITE (:eek:), call Princess or your TA (if you used one).

However, before you refuse a suite, check out the benefits. There are videos of WS on YouTube, check those out, too. Not having a balcony isn't the end of the world. Also, the chances that you'd be assigned a WS are slim to none. They're very popular and get snapped up fast.

We had friends on our last cruise who were upgraded to a Window mini-suite about a week before sailing. It was the VERY FIRST CABIN FORWARD on their deck. They liked the cabin but not the location.

And as before, you can refuse the upgrade if you desire and yes, keep an eye on your Personalizer!

You must be talking about some cruise line other than Princess: "Junior Suite" and "Captain's Suite" are foreign terms to Princess; and there are no passenger cabins on deck 2 of any Princess ship. :confused:

Sounds like RCI or NCL?

Your situation was a little different where Princess offered you an upsell. In other words, you had to pay for your upgrade. If you pick your own cabin and do not mark it no upgrade they can certainly move you without warning or your permission because in essence, you gave them permission by not marking your cabin no upgrade, and they may NOT give you your original cabin back, and according to the Supervisor I spoke with it is unlikely that you will get it back regardless that the email says that you have 48 hours to contact them.

Yeah, we got an upgrade that was NOT REALLY an upgrade and only discovered it when I went online to my Personalizer! :eek:

Luckily we were able to get our original cabin back but it was not guarennteed! Then we marked it "no upgrade" or META upgrade as our TA suggested.

Yeah, we got an upgrade that was NOT REALLY an upgrade and only discovered it when I went online to my Personalizer! :eek:

Luckily we were able to get our original cabin back but it was not guarennteed! Then we marked it "no upgrade" or META upgrade as our TA suggested.

So frustrating when it happens. This is only our 3rd cruise and it's only because of cruise critic that I knew that an "upgrade" could happen, but I thought meta upgrade would help me. Apparently not. 😐

I'll share a different perspective. OP says they booked GTY MB. So the next category up is not S7, but rather M1 (Club Class Mini). A great upgrade.

On the other hand, there's next to no chance you'd ever get an upgrade to S7 in any case. There are only 6 category S7 suites and those of us who book them LOVE them. Highly unlike to ever see one open and the point that Princess are assigning GTY's.

So frustrating when it happens. This is only our 3rd cruise and it's only because of cruise critic that I knew that an "upgrade" could happen, but I thought meta upgrade would help me. Apparently not. 😐

Please don't invest too much worry into this matter. Despite the many threads on the topic, upgrades are not a common occurrence. They just aren't. They do happen, but the chance of it happening to YOU are relatively slim. (Same thing with upsells, although there are probably more of those.)

Maddle