Made a mistake with Viking Air

shadowlover

Our upcoming cruise in November includes airfare and thus was quite a good deal. My first mistake, however was booking with a travel agent who doesn't seem to have much experience with river cruises. My second mistake was making the assumption that flying from a MAJOR hub (Newark) with multiple nonstop flights to Amsterdam would provide us with a nonstop flight from Newark to Amsterdam.... wrong. We have a connection in Dulles. I realize that I could have paid a fee to pick our own flights- I actually inquired about this but had to inquire through our travel agent who gave me incorrect information. She led me to believe it would be 100 dollars per person plus an additional fee if the flights were more expensive than Viking's flights. When I tried to ask Viking Rep- they wouldn't really give me details because I am not the travel agent. Sigh... I really just wanted to know how much extra I would end up paying if I chose my own flights because I really don't know how much "credit" I have towards airfare. There were some pretty nice deals out there several months ago. Having said all of this- our flight arrival is nice and early in Amsterdam so I am quite happy about that. I just now have the extra stress of worrying about the connection- will the flight arrive on time, will my bags make it etc. Didn't have the time to fly early so if you're tempted to tell me how wonderful it is to arrive several days early.... it wasn't possible at this time.

Just some advice-- get your questions answered and don't make assumptions. Get a travel agent with good river cruise experience.

I do have travel insurance so if for some reason we make it late I can rest assure I will get to the ship at some point.:o

Praying for good weather and no delays on November 2!!!

I am feeling good about the trip because so far I have had exceptional service every time I call Viking. Really wish I booked directly through them.

Just a suggestion- Next time, book directly with Viking and then you can transfer the booking to a TA. This is what I do. I don't think the Viking agents are very bright (from my experience) but at least I can speak to the "expert" directly. After the arrangements are all made, I transfer the booking to my TA who then gives me additional benefits like "double cash back".

After that is done, I don't need to speak to anyone. Presently, Viking has been discounting the air, so I take their air and Viking Air plus services. From Newark, you should have gone non-stop to Amsterdam. Going to Dulles is crazy.

Sorry about your situation. I'm not clear whether you already paid or not? It sounds like you have. So I don't think you can change anything this close to your trip. I have a pretty good TA that I work with.

Dear shadowlover,

As we look forward to welcoming you aboard soon, we regret to learn of the disappointment you’ve experienced with booking your air travel.

While we’re delighted to hear that you’ve received exceptional service when contacting us, planning for your trip should be an enjoyable experience, so your frustration is understandable.

With confidence that we'll have a wonderful and memorable voyage together, should you wish to discuss this matter further, please feel free to reach out to us at TellUs@vikingcruises.com.

We appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns, shadowlover, and are counting down the days with you for our sailing.

Kind regards,

Viking Cruises

Our upcoming cruise in November includes airfare and thus was quite a good deal. My first mistake, however was booking with a travel agent who doesn't seem to have much experience with river cruises. My second mistake was making the assumption that flying from a MAJOR hub (Newark) with multiple nonstop flights to Amsterdam would provide us with a nonstop flight from Newark to Amsterdam.... wrong. We have a connection in Dulles. I realize that I could have paid a fee to pick our own flights- I actually inquired about this but had to inquire through our travel agent who gave me incorrect information. She led me to believe it would be 100 dollars per person plus an additional fee if the flights were more expensive than Viking's flights. When I tried to ask Viking Rep- they wouldn't really give me details because I am not the travel agent. Sigh... I really just wanted to know how much extra I would end up paying if I chose my own flights because I really don't know how much "credit" I have towards airfare. There were some pretty nice deals out there several months ago. Having said all of this- our flight arrival is nice and early in Amsterdam so I am quite happy about that. I just now have the extra stress of worrying about the connection- will the flight arrive on time, will my bags make it etc. Didn't have the time to fly early so if you're tempted to tell me how wonderful it is to arrive several days early.... it wasn't possible at this time.

Just some advice-- get your questions answered and don't make assumptions. Get a travel agent with good river cruise experience.

I do have travel insurance so if for some reason we make it late I can rest assure I will get to the ship at some point.:o

Praying for good weather and no delays on November 2!!!

I am feeling good about the trip because so far I have had exceptional service every time I call Viking. Really wish I booked directly through them.

We recently returned from a Viking river cruise on the Danube. We booked our flights through Viking, paid the extra fee to pick our seats and flights and it was flawless. We were 3 hours late arriving in Prague due to fog and a representative was there to pick us. From that point on they did not miss a beat all the way to the end where they put our luggage on the scale at the airport in Budapest. Viking has it right down to the last detail.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We recently returned from a Viking river cruise on the Danube. We booked our flights through Viking, paid the extra fee to pick our seats and flights and it was flawless. We were 3 hours late arriving in Prague due to fog and a representative was there to pick us. From that point on they did not miss a beat all the way to the end where they put our luggage on the scale at the airport in Budapest. Viking has it right down to the last detail.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Another question for you?! Did the Viking rep help you print out boarding passes at the airport? There is no printer on the ship. My partner doesn't want to use mobile boarding passes.

Thank you! :)

Another question for you?! Did the Viking rep help you print out boarding passes at the airport? There is no printer on the ship. My partner doesn't want to use mobile boarding passes.

If you are checking in bags you will receive a boarding pass at the same time.

Only way you can avoid getting given one is if you are not checking in bags.

If you are checking in bags you will receive a boarding pass at the same time.

Only way you can avoid getting given one is if you are not checking in bags.

I've heard there is a kiosk in Budapest you can use to print boarding passes.

I've heard there is a kiosk in Budapest you can use to print boarding passes.

Yes, if you are not checking in a bag or you use one of the fast-drop kiosks you can get your boarding pass that way as well, but don't worry about using them, there will be an 'English' option.

Just make sure you have your passports, booking reference (PNR) usually a 6 character code or failing that, your flight number and you will be fine. Worst case there will be staff there able to help.

Sometimes Viking staff helps with the printers. Sometimes they simply abandon everyone to mass confusion...Stockholm this June.

In Nice, France we tried to use the printer. No go. Tried several printers. Something about our old passports. Fortunately, on that trip our very helpful Viking representative was there and after a 5 minute heated exchange in French with the admissions guy got us through into the airport. MUCH APPRECIATED.

I just booked a Viking Cruise this morning for next Spring: "Lyon and Provence". I opted to get airfare through them ($295 airfare + $100 for not leaving France "on time"). I'm flying from SAN into LYS and returning MPL to SAN. I elected to buy airfare from Viking b/c the price was smoking cheap and I was having struggling to use FF points and get to LYS.

But now I'm wondering if I made a mistake. Does Viking usually make "rational/reasonable" airfare arrangements? Two stops is my rational/sane limit. In this situation that probably means: west coast (SAN) to east coast, to Paris, to Lyon. Or do I run the risk of going on a milk run or have unreasonable layovers (too short or too long)? My husband would kill me.

But now I'm wondering if I made a mistake. Does Viking usually make "rational/reasonable" airfare arrangements? Two stops is my rational/sane limit. In this situation that probably means: west coast (SAN) to east coast, to Paris, to Lyon. Or do I run the risk of going on a milk run or have unreasonable layovers (too short or too long)? My husband would kill me.

I'd have thought it was unlikely that you'd have more than 2 stops as SAN is easy to connect to the east coast and from there either Paris or London are both easy connects to Lyon.

Personally though I'd see if you can pay the extra and get on the direct SAN-LHR-LYS route...

I just booked a Viking Cruise this morning for next Spring: "Lyon and Provence". I opted to get airfare through them ($295 airfare + $100 for not leaving France "on time"). I'm flying from SAN into LYS and returning MPL to SAN. I elected to buy airfare from Viking b/c the price was smoking cheap and I was having struggling to use FF points and get to LYS.

By your bar, yes, they usually make rational/reasonable airfare arrangements. But why even bother risking it. Just pay the $50 per person Custom Air to have a hand in selecting your routing. For me, this is a must do.