Hurricane irma....ugh

Please correct me if wrong....

Harvey 7 day cruises were delayed and shortened with option of going and receiving port fees back and reimbursed on days missed or you could cancel and get full future credit.

Upcoming Miami 7-8 day cruises are delayed and shortened with option of receiving port fees and reimbursed on days missed but no option to cancel and get full future credit.

It is either that or sail straight into a storm. I think this is a great alternative to outright having your vacation cancelled.

Everyone going on this alternative sailing, pack some warmer clothes, make lemonade out of lemons, and have a fun time. Portland is an absolutely underrated city. Breweries and seafood galore!

I don't see how this is a comparable alternative to a tropical vacation.

Carnival's John Heald just posted an update concerning the ships/itineraries we've all been monitoring. His post is on the face book site. My question is, why hasn't Carnival posted this information? I trust John's information but I'm disappointed that the Carnival website's not showing the same information...

Please correct me if wrong....

Harvey 7 day cruises were delayed and shortened with option of going and receiving port fees back and reimbursed on days missed or you could cancel and get full future credit.

Upcoming Miami 7-8 day cruises are delayed and shortened with option of receiving port fees and reimbursed on days missed but no option to cancel and get full future credit.

"Guests who decide to cancel because their cruise duration has changed, will receive a future cruise credit in the amount paid. Please call 1-800 CARNIVAL, your Personal Vacation Planner or your travel professional."

Carnival's John Heald just posted an update concerning the ships/itineraries we've all been monitoring. His post is on the face book site. My question is, why hasn't Carnival posted this information? I trust John's information but I'm disappointed that the Carnival website's not showing the same information...
I read some reasonable speculation that Carnival's HQ, being directly in the path of the storm, might understandably be operating at less than 100%.

I just now refreshed my browser and the 1:00 pm update is on the Carnival site.

HURRICANE IRMA UPDATE

WEATHER UPDATE 9/07/2017 – 1:00 PM (EDT)

We have been closely monitoring Hurricane Irma, a category 5 storm in the Caribbean. Given the projected path of the storm, the following cruises have been cancelled:

Carnival Liberty – September 7

Carnival Victory – September 8

Carnival Splendor– September 9

Carnival Liberty– September 10

A full refund will be automatically processed, including Fly2Fun reservations, pre-purchased Carnival Adventures, Fun Shop purchases and beverage packages. The refund will be processed to your original form of payment within three weeks.

While it is difficult to predict the storm’s path with complete certainty, at this point, it is expected that the storm will impact South and Central Florida in the next several days. The safety and security of our guests and crew are our first priority and our ships will remain a safe distance away from the storm at all times.

We remain in constant contact with port officials regarding potential port closures. Given the uncertainty of the storm’s impact, we expect that we may have to shorten the duration of certain cruises scheduled to depart this weekend.

Carnival Paradise – September 7

Will depart from Tampa today. Guests will be informed of our itinerary this afternoon.

Carnival Sensation – September 7

Will depart Miami today, as scheduled. Our call to Key West is canceled and guests will enjoy an extended stay in Cozumel.

Carnival Conquest – September 9

Now scheduled to depart Miami on September 12 on a 4 day cruise to Cozumel.

Carnival Glory – September 9

Carnival Magic – September 9

Now scheduled to depart Port Canaveral on September 13 on a 3 day cruise to Nassau (pending port confirmation).

Carnival Vista – September 9

Now scheduled to depart Miami on September 12 on a 5 day two port Western Caribbean cruise to Grand Cayman and Cozumel.

Carnival Freedom– September 9

Will depart Galveston on September 9 on a three port Western Caribbean cruise to Mahogany Bay, Belize and Cozumel.

Carnival Ecstasy– September 9

We will depart Charleston on September 9 to operate a two port cruise to the Bahamas. We are hopeful that we will be able to offer a two Bahamian port itinerary (Freeport, Nassau or Half Moon Cay). Since we are unable to confirm the itinerary at this time, guests may elect to cancel and receive a future cruise credit. Guests wishing to sail will receive a 25% future cruise credit based on the fare paid for this cruise.

Carnival Dream – September 10

Will depart New Orleans on September 10 to operate a three port Western Caribbean cruise to Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman and Cozumel.

Carnival Pride – September 10

We will depart Baltimore on September 10 on a cruise to Canada/New England. Itinerary details will be confirmed today at 6:00 PM. Given the significant itinerary deviation, guests may elect to cancel and receive a future cruise credit. Guests wishing to sail will receive a 25% future cruise credit based on the fare paid for this cruise.

Carnival Fascination – September 10

We will confirm our plans for this cruise on Friday at 1:00 PM.

Carnival Sensation – September 11

Will now depart on September 13 for a 3 day cruise to Nassau.

Carnival Victory – September 11

Will now depart on September 12 for a 3 day cruise to Nassau.

Carnival Paradise – September 11

Will depart on Monday, as scheduled; itinerary remains unchanged.

Guests who sail on shortened cruises will receive a pro-rated refund of their cruise fare. Additionally, anyone who pre-purchased our beverage packages will also receive a pro-rated adjustment. These refunds will be processed to the original form of payment within three weeks. Pre-purchased Carnival Adventures for cancelled ports, as well as any taxes, fees and port expenses will be refunded to your onboard Sail & Sign account. Gratuities will also be adjusted to reflect the shortened duration.

Unless specifically noted above, there is no compensation for itinerary modifications for cruises that maintained the same duration. Guests who decide to cancel because their cruise duration has changed, will receive a future cruise credit in the amount paid. Please call 1-800 CARNIVAL, your Personal Vacation Planner or your travel professional.

We will continue to closely monitor Hurricane Irma’s forecasted track and provide further updates as needed. Please sign up for text alerts by texting the codes below to CRUISE (278473).

Carnival Paradise – CCL1

Carnival Conquest – CCL2

Carnival Glory – CCL3

Carnival Magic – CCL4

Carnival Splendor – CCL5

Carnival Vista – CCL6

Carnival Liberty – CCL7

Carnival Victory 9/11 – CCL8

Carnival Sensation 9/07 – CCL9

Carnival Sensation 9/11 – CCL10

Carnival Ecstasy – CCL11

Carnival Freedom – CCL12

Carnival Dream – CCL13

Carnival Pride – CCL14

Carnival Fascination – CCL15

Carnival Paradise 9/11 – CCL16

I don't see how this is a comparable alternative to a tropical vacation.

Considering your tropical vacation destinations are either A) flooded B) destroyed, or C) under siege of 125+ mile winds and rain, I think that going to ports were none of these things are happening and enjoying yourself, is a wonderful alternative. If you don't think so, feel free to cancel your vacation and stay home. If it were me, I'd pack some extra clothes and enjoy my new itinerary. The foliage should be changing in that part of the country. Oysters, clams and lobsters should be abundant right now, and the beer at the breweries will be cold. Yum! :cool:

Considering your tropical vacation destinations are either A) flooded B) destroyed, or C) under siege of 125+ mile winds and rain, I think that going to ports were none of these things are happening and enjoying yourself, is a wonderful alternative. If you don't think so, feel free to cancel your vacation and stay home. If it were me, I'd pack some extra clothes and enjoy my new itinerary. The foliage should be changing in that part of the country. Oysters, clams and lobsters should be abundant right now, and the beer at the breweries will be cold. Yum! :cool:

Exactly! Some people will never be satisfied though.....

In the last few years we have vacationed in Panama or Costa Rica in September, similar cost to a Caribbean cruise. Still cruise in October though.

I'll be on the Pride in 2 weeks, and I would've loved this new itinerary. I've been to NE once before and had a great time eating oysters, clams and lobsters. :p I'm also looking forward to conch in the islands too... what can I say? I cruise for food. :D

Just had 2 calls back-to-back. The first was a recording from Carnival stating that they're following the storm closely, but no decision has been made yet, so please keep checking their website * sign up for text alerts (I have). The next was from the Cocoa Beach hotel we planned to stay in Friday evening prior to our cruise on the Magic Saturday informing us that due to evacuation orders, they have to cancel our reservation! I think this is my last rodeo with Carnival.

Not sure how that would be Carnival's fault...

Under normal circumstances, yeah that would be a nice trip but I didn't decide on a cruise just to go on vacation. I chose a cruise to get away to a beach. May sound pathetic but I wanted to be able to go some place nice and slightly warm and experience a beach. I have never been able to do that so I would say that going from that opportunity to New England/Canada is a major deviation. I was hoping for at least Bermuda as it would've been similar. I apologize that I am upset about it as I am not blaming Carnival and this hasn't put me off from trying to cruise again. I just expected something better. Now I have to decide if I want to just go ahead and go or cancel and attempt something in October.

Under normal circumstances, yeah that would be a nice trip but I didn't decide on a cruise just to go on vacation. I chose a cruise to get away to a beach. May sound pathetic but I wanted to be able to go some place nice and slightly warm and experience a beach. I have never been able to do that so I would say that going from that opportunity to New England/Canada is a major deviation. I was hoping for at least Bermuda as it would've been similar. I apologize that I am upset about it as I am not blaming Carnival and this hasn't put me off from trying to cruise again. I just expected something better. Now I have to decide if I want to just go ahead and go or cancel and attempt something in October.

My 2 cents: You already paid for the vacation, took the time off of work and what not. The wheels of vacation are already in motion. It is a different experience than what you were expecting, but different isn't bad. I would pack some warm clothes, and go on the cruise with open minds and expectations. You will not have a bad time!

I'm curious about how the storm will affect the eastern Floridian ports. I'm supposedly sailing out of Miami on the 17th (Per John Heald's update, the cruise before mine got shortened, and is supposedly leaving the 12th-17th). How soon could places like MIA and FLL be "back to normal" after a storm this severe? Would the ports and airports still be closed a week after the storm is supposed to hit?

This time in Canada , is not the best . I live in Fredericton about 90 kms from Port of Saint John. Most people go to Canada in the summer which is now over and in later fall to see the spectacular fall Foliage in it's brightest and amazing colors... That happens October. There will be no warm turquoise waters here . No swimming unless you don;t mind chilly in the 70's water temps ?! Where are you going ? for this Canadian cruise....

I don;t like that my gratuties are not given back to my for the 7 day cruise and instead put in my sail in sign account . Same as my taxes and port fees...... have cruised 22 cruise and there isn't much i purchase on a cruise. I am not a drinker ......I also dont like going from four ports to one ....They could have done better ...

I'm curious about how the storm will affect the eastern Floridian ports. I'm supposedly sailing out of Miami on the 17th (Per John Heald's update, the cruise before mine got shortened, and is supposedly leaving the 12th-17th). How soon could places like MIA and FLL be "back to normal" after a storm this severe? Would the ports and airports still be closed a week after the storm is supposed to hit?

I would expect the ports and airports to have opened by then. When are you flying?

I am supposed to sail the 18th from Ft. Lauderdale, so I know the anxiety you're going through. That is a complicated question. If the Coast Guard puts the ports under Condition: Zulu, then the ports may not reopen to marine traffic in or out until the Coast Guard decides conditions are clear enough to reopen the port. This can be many factors, including weather, and severity of damage to the port, or how happy they are with the repairs of the port post-storm.

As long as the damage isn't extensive enough to close the airport or the sea port, the cruise will go on as scheduled. Depending on how badly the ports of call you're visiting have been affected will determine your itinerary. By the 17th/18th the storm should be well past Florida.

TL;DR - depends on how badly damaged the airport and sea ports are.

I would expect the ports and airports to have opened by then. When are you flying?

I would suspect so as well, but with a category 4/5 hurricane, that's so devistating, it's hard to tell if the port would hold up. I'd assume they are built to take a decent hurricane, but 4s and 5s, I dunno. I'm flying into FLL on the afternoon of the 16th and staying in Miami. Boarding the Vista on the 17th. Should be interesting, to say the least. I'm not really concerned about where we go, just that all things are operational by then, and of course, FL and the US is spared from the massive devastation that we are seeing coming from St Martin and other islands.

Only time will tell.

You can keep informed of the status of ports and airports on

Just be aware that even once opened, that doesn't mean fully functional. It can take days for schedules to return to normal. Port Everglades, as the "leading container port in Florida and among the most active cargo ports in the United States...and is South Florida’s main seaport for receiving petroleum products including, gasoline and jet fuel," may need to give priority to relief and commercial shipping.

Hey fellow Vista Cruiser: Still waiting for update via the web site and or text. I'm wondering if due to evacuations the Carnival staff is doing what they should be doing: Get them and their families including 4 legged members out of Dodge. It would have been nice if they just postponed or better yet cancelled out 8 Day Vista Cruise out of Miami this Saturday. Things are going government slow. :ship:

496a00c4db33049a8c748ea392d7e9be.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

UPDATE FROM CARNIVAL:

Here then is the latest news.

PLEASE SHARE WITH ONE PERSON WHO YOU MAY KNOW IS SAILING OVER THIS PERIOD.

Hurricane Irma

Weather Update – 09/07/17 – 1:00PM (EDT)

We have been closely monitoring Hurricane Irma, a category 5 storm in the Caribbean. Given the projected path of the storm, the following cruises have been cancelled:

Carnival Liberty – September 7

Carnival Victory – September 8

Carnival Splendor – September 9

Carnival Liberty – September 10

A full refund will be automatically processed, including Fly2Fun reservations, pre-purchased Carnival Adventures, Fun Shop purchases and beverage packages. The refund will be processed to your original form of payment within three weeks.

While it is difficult to predict the storm’s path with complete certainty, at this point, it is expected that the storm will impact South and Central Florida in the next several days. The safety and security of our guests and crew are our first priority and our ships will remain a safe distance away from the storm at all times.

We remain in constant contact with port officials regarding potential port closures. Given the uncertainty of the storm’s impact, we expect that we may have to shorten the duration of certain cruises scheduled to depart this weekend.

Carnival Paradise – September 7

Will depart from Tampa today. Guests will be informed of our itinerary this afternoon.

Carnival Sensation – September 7

Will depart Miami today, as scheduled. Our call to Key West is canceled and guests will enjoy an extended stay in Cozumel.

Carnival Conquest – September 9

Carnival Glory – September 9

Carnival Magic – September 9

Now scheduled to depart Port Canaveral on September 13 on a 3 day cruise to Nassau (pending port confirmation).

Carnival Vista – September 9

Sorry to break it to you but "after a storm this severe", if it does hit the ports it will be weeks to months before the ports open. Remember Ike took Galveston three months. You also will have limited to no place to stay as most hotels will be damaged. So will take weeks to repair, some months. Most likely you will be cruising out of Port Canaveral (maybe?) or New Orleans. I hate to say it but I am a realist the cruise industry may be turned upside down come Monday thanks to Irma. I wish all good luck.