Hurricane irma....ugh

Ports are closing, they are not sailing this weekend. I think carnival is just holding out for people to cancel on their own. Less perks and discounts they have to give out. They have knew for the past two days this ship would not be able to head back out.

My first cruise, Carnival Liberty to depart Port Canaveral on 9/10, all excursions paid. I got an email last night saying I will be refunded within 5-7 business days for the excursions. I'm assuming the cruise will be cancelled or they plan on cruising in circles?? Not to mention Southwest won't give refunds unless the flights are cancelled. Lesson learned on trying to enjoy a nice Bahamas cruise for my birthday.

southwest will give you a voucher for what you are out

From the London/UK Daily Mail this morning, they have many pictures and details from what has hit St-Barts, plus the Dutch colony of Saint Maarten in the Caribbean. Enjoyed visiting both of these scenic locations for the first time in early 2015. Plus, having three days in San Juan during that trip. Below are four of their visuals from St-Barts and Saint Maarten.

Their latest story has this headline: Staring into oblivion: Bahamas, Dominican Republic and Turks and Caicos brace for impact with these highlights: The category 5 storm - the strongest hurricane ever recorded in the Atlantic - howled past Puerto Rico with 185mph winds after reducing the tiny tropical islands of Barbuda and St Martin to rubble. They suffered the storm's full fury with 95 per cent of properties destroyed on both islands. Officials said at least eight people died on the French part of St Martin - a pristine resort known for its vibrant nightlife.

Full story at:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4860396/Irma-hits-Puerto-Rico-damaging-Barbuda-St-Martin.html

Panama Canal? Completed Feb. 28-Mar. 15, 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through the Panama Canal with our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! Those visuals start on the second page, post #26. See more at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

From the Daily Mail, here is one visual from St-Barts. We walked right by this one historic building. Remember this location and these sights very well in St-Barts!! Next are three of their visuals from Saint Maarten that give examples of the major damages there.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)

43FE8B1600000578-4860396-Devastation_This_was_the_scene_on_Saint_Barth_after_the_hurrican-a-54_1504779127558_zpsw1fjrzhn.jpg

43FEEA1700000578-4860396-image-a-40_1504771799777_zpstdqfn9zf.jpg

43FEA15000000578-4860396-image-a-13_1504768065547_zpskawczirv.jpg

43FEA14400000578-4860396-image-a-23_1504768232877_zpseyzxh9xd.jpg

Just wondering, still awaiting news about Pride on Sunday but if we end up not going to Grand Turk, Half Moon and Freeport, do you think the odds would be us going to be Bermuda instead?

Hard to say......

Hurricane Jose is now moving up that way as a hurricane as well.

As of noon today, the Coast Guard has put Port of Miami and Port Everglades under Condition X-ray. They anticipate Condition Yankee at 8 am tomorrow morning. https://res.cloudinary.com/simplevie...7439564a3c.pdf. Here's an explanation of the different conditions: https://res.cloudinary.com/simplevie...439fb56b59.pdf

From John Heald's FB page:

Here then is the latest news.

PLEASE SHARE WITH ONE PERSON WHO YOU MAY KNOW IS SAILING OVER THIS PERIOD.

Hurricane Irma

Weather Update – 09/07/17 – 1:00PM (EDT)

We have been closely monitoring Hurricane Irma, a category 5 storm in the Caribbean. Given the projected path of the storm, the following cruises have been cancelled:

Carnival Liberty – September 7

Carnival Victory – September 8

Carnival Splendor – September 9

Carnival Liberty – September 10

A full refund will be automatically processed, including Fly2Fun reservations, pre-purchased Carnival Adventures, Fun Shop purchases and beverage packages. The refund will be processed to your original form of payment within three weeks.

While it is difficult to predict the storm’s path with complete certainty, at this point, it is expected that the storm will impact South and Central Florida in the next several days. The safety and security of our guests and crew are our first priority and our ships will remain a safe distance away from the storm at all times.

We remain in constant contact with port officials regarding potential port closures. Given the uncertainty of the storm’s impact, we expect that we may have to shorten the duration of certain cruises scheduled to depart this weekend.

Carnival Paradise – September 7

Will depart from Tampa today. Guests will be informed of our itinerary this afternoon.

Carnival Sensation – September 7

Will depart Miami today, as scheduled. Our call to Key West is canceled and guests will enjoy an extended stay in Cozumel.

Carnival Conquest – September 9

Now scheduled to depart Miami on September 12 on a 4 day cruise to Cozumel.

Carnival Glory – September 9

Now scheduled to depart Miami on September 12 on a 4 day cruise to Cozumel.

Carnival Magic – September 9

Now scheduled to depart Port Canaveral on September 13 on a 3 day cruise to Nassau (pending port confirmation).

Carnival Vista – September 9

Now scheduled to depart Miami on September 12 on a 5 day two port Western Caribbean cruise to Grand Cayman and Cozumel.

Carnival Freedom – September 9

Will depart Galveston on September 9 on a three port Western Caribbean cruise to Mahogany Bay, Belize and Cozumel.

Carnival Ecstasy – September 9

We will depart Charleston on September 9 to operate a two port cruise to the Bahamas. We are hopeful that we will be able to offer a two Bahamian port itinerary (Freeport, Nassau or Half Moon Cay). Since we are unable to confirm the itinerary at this time, guests may elect to cancel and receive a future cruise credit. Guests wishing to sail will receive a 25% future cruise credit based on the fare paid for this cruise.

Carnival Dream – September 10

Will depart New Orleans on September 10 to operate a three port Western Caribbean cruise to Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman and Cozumel.

Carnival Pride – September 10

We will depart Baltimore on September 10 on a cruise to Canada/New England. Itinerary details will be confirmed today at 6:00 PM. Given the significant itinerary deviation, guests may elect to cancel and receive a future cruise credit. Guests wishing to sail will receive a 25% future cruise credit based on the fare paid for this cruise.

Carnival Fascination – September 10

We will confirm our plans for this cruise on Friday at 1:00 PM.

Carnival Sensation – September 11

Will now depart on September 13 for a 3 day cruise to Nassau.

Carnival Victory – September 11

Will now depart on September 12 for a 3 day cruise to Nassau.

Carnival Paradise – September 11

Will depart on Monday, as scheduled; itinerary remains unchanged.

Guests who sail on shortened cruises will receive a pro-rated refund of their cruise fare. Additionally, anyone who pre-purchased our beverage packages will also receive a pro-rated adjustment. These refunds will be to the original form of payment within three weeks. Pre-purchased Carnival Adventures for cancelled ports, as well as any taxes, fees and port expenses will be refunded to your onboard Sail & Sign account. Gratuities will also be adjusted to reflect the shortened duration.

Unless specifically noted above, there is no compensation for itinerary modifications for cruises that maintained the same duration. Guests who decide to cancel because their cruise duration has changed, will receive a future cruise credit in the amount paid. Please call 1-800 CARNIVAL, your Personal Vacation Planner or your travel professional.

I know lots of you have been waiting for this news and obviously it has taken a lot of planning. I will be here should you have any comments and questions and lets hope that everyone in the path of the storm are safe.

Best wishes to you all

From John Heald's FB page:

Carnival Pride – September 10

We will depart Baltimore on September 10 on a cruise to Canada/New England. Itinerary details will be confirmed today at 6:00 PM. Given the significant itinerary deviation, guests may elect to cancel and receive a future cruise credit. Guests wishing to sail will receive a 25% future cruise credit based on the fare paid for this cruise.

Ummm I'm not sure how I feel about this.

It is either that or sail straight into a storm. I think this is a great alternative to outright having your vacation cancelled.

Everyone going on this alternative sailing, pack some warmer clothes, make lemonade out of lemons, and have a fun time. Portland is an absolutely underrated city. Breweries and seafood galore!

So, is it safe to make alternate arrangements based off of what's on John's page? He IS the brand ambassador... I haven't received a text (which I signed up for) nor a phone call nor an email (also signed up for) and want to be sure that's bona fide info.

I'm new to knowing about John (thanks to this page - you guys are the BEST!) and want to be sure I am doing the right thing.

They haven't updated the website yet, but I would consider Heald to be a safe enough source of official info, especially since what he posted is what we would have expected - nothing unusual or strange about it.

They haven't updated the website yet, but I would consider Heald to be a safe enough source of official info, especially since what he posted is what we would have expected - nothing unusual or strange about it.

Thanks, bUU. It sure looked like a copy/paste to me. Appreciate the response. I'm only on hold with the airline for 77 more minutes... :')

Ok, Carnival it's 1 pm....what's the update...WHERE is the update. UGH.

Hey fellow Vista Cruiser: Still waiting for update via the web site and or text. I'm wondering if due to evacuations the Carnival staff is doing what they should be doing: Get them and their families including 4 legged members out of Dodge. It would have been nice if they just postponed or better yet cancelled out 8 Day Vista Cruise out of Miami this Saturday. Things are going government slow. :ship:

So, is it safe to make alternate arrangements based off of what's on John's page? He IS the brand ambassador... I haven't received a text (which I signed up for) nor a phone call nor an email (also signed up for) and want to be sure that's bona fide info.

I'm new to knowing about John (thanks to this page - you guys are the BEST!) and want to be sure I am doing the right thing.

They also posted it on the Carnival FB page

As of noon today, the Coast Guard has put Port of Miami and Port Everglades under Condition X-ray. They anticipate Condition Yankee at 8 am tomorrow morning. https://res.cloudinary.com/simplevie...7439564a3c.pdf. Here's an explanation of the different conditions: https://res.cloudinary.com/simplevie...439fb56b59.pdf

Interesting link and thanks for posting it.

I always have to smile when I read a govt pronouncement that begins with "clarify".. I guess that includes most of 'em, huh.

It's not a bad cruise. We had this same thing happen to us last year. Hopefully they also dock in NYC at Pier 66. We did and were like 6 blocks from Times Square. We had a ball.

Don't feel bad - we drove from NY to Baltimore and cruised back up to NY. LOL

You do have the option to cancel for a full refund.