14 day vs 7 day cruise to Alaska

Scooter Weibels

I'm planning an Alaska cruise for summer 2018 and I am debating about taking the 14 day cruise on the Zaandam. I'm also thinking of the 7 day roundtrip out of Seattle. Iv'e been to Denali, Fairbanks and all points on the inside passage except Icy Straight Point, I like the 14 day it goes to Homer and Kodiak, which I have not been too. My question is it better to take a lesser cabin(inside) on the 14 day cruise or enjoy a balcony on the 7 day cruise, cost are similar when you take in the whole cost of the vacation. I'm a little hesitant about Holland America hearing it's mostly for older people (I know I'm pushing 60) but I will be with my special needs daughter who will be 17 (she does not do social stuff, wants to go to Alaska and see animals). Any suggestions?

IMO a balcony is not essential in AK, as there are plenty of public viewing areas on every ship, and often AK weather prevents you from getting much use of it. We've cruised AK twice without a balcony either time. On one of the cruises a friend had a balcony and she wasn't on it more than about 2 hours total for the whole trip. I would take the 14-day.

AK attracts a lot of families, and at "pushing 60" you could be above the average age.

If you could up your price range to an HH or H on the Lower Promenade deck you could have easy access to outside when there's an announcement of something outside worth seeing! I suggest one back by the stern - 3415/3418 or higher.

Edited by jtl513

We have done the 14 day Alaska Cruise 3 times in an obstructed cabin at the back of the Lower Promenade, under the Main Dining Room. We have found it to be quiet and the deck is steps away. Do not book midship on that deck as you will be under the Main Galley. we have sailed the Zaandam 3 times (though not in Alaska) and she is a great ship! Holland America does Alaska very well, and there will be all ages and nationalities.

You will see so much more on the 14 day, there is ample deck space for viewing, and your daughter will be thrilled...especially with the Hubbard Glacier and Icy Straight Point, a great place for whale watching!

We were on a pricey 7 day with a verandah last month on the Volendam/rt Vancouver and it was over too fast. Take the 14 day in a lesser cabin, you won't regret it!

Karen

Can I request a 2 top in the MDR my daughter really complains if she sits with people she does not know (part of autism).
Definitely. If you want it in Fixed/Traditional seating just let your TA or PCC know her need.

If you choose Open seating and eat at off-peak times (5:15 to 6:00 or 7:15 to 8:00) you should have no trouble getting seated fairly quickly. If you find a table you like you can reserve it for 3 days at a time. Look at http://halfacts.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/ZADM.pdf and make a list of the 2-tops you see on the lower level. On embarkation day go to a reservations podium that is usually near the Canaletto with the list in hand and keep going down the list until you find one open. They will usually say that it's "not guaranteed" but we've always gotten what we asked for.

Edited by jtl513

Having done both the 14 day (Hal) and 2 separate 7 day (rccl) the 14 day wins hand down. On all of them we were in an inside and did not think we missed anything by not having a balcony.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have done quite a few Alaskan cruises -- on 3 different cruise lines.

The one we love the best is HAL's 14 day itinerary that includes Homer, Kodiak and Anchorage. We have done it 2 times on the Amsterdam -- sister ship to the Zaandam.

Personally I would try for a balcony where your daughter can be out on the balcony when she wants to be and does not have to worry about people crowding her.

I would upgrade on a room with a window and do the 14 day either in May or September. We did the height of the summer and paid far too much. Next Time, we will go on the edge of the season.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did the 14 day cruise on the Amsterdam last month and, for the first time in years, we were in an ocean view cabin rather than a veranda. I thought I would really miss not having a balcony, but found I didn't miss it. I probably would feel differently if we had been on a warm weather cruise. For viewing the glaciers, we primarily used the bow. I've read where some people say it's nice viewing the glacier from your own balcony, as the ship will rotate so everyone gets the opportunity to see it; however, on our cruise the bow was facing the Glacier for well over an hour, but the sides of the ship faced the glacier for only about ten minutes. I was glad I was at the bow! Lastly, two weeks flies by since there's so much to see.

On the Zaandam the upgrade to a balcony cabin is more then double the price of an interior cabin, and that was my original question a 7 day cruise with a balcony or an interior cabin on the 14 day cruise?
If you can't do an HH on the Lower Prom my next suggestion would be an L there - 3395 to 3423.

I've done 8 Alaska cruises, including 4 @ 14 days. Seven of those cruises have been in inside cabins---but I put in full 8-hour 'work' days out on deck. :D

There is plenty of open deck space on the Zaandam, and you can pick your side based on your desires at the time. Lots of that deck space is sheltered from the elements, too. Easy enough to change high to low, so your daughter can look for sea activity from Lower Promenade; much better deck to watch from.

Absolutely, take the lesser cabin on the longer cruise. You won't be sorry.

I have been fortunate to sail both the 14 day and 7 day itineraries. With the 14 day, the opportunity to visit seldom visited ports of Kodiak, Homer, and Anchorage along with Hubbard Glacier really is my favorite. Icy Point Strait, which the Amsterdam visited this year on my 14 day cruise, was a very pleasant and enjoyable surprise. I expected "little" and enjoyed the experience "a lot"!

No veranda cabin is needed, in my opinion, for an Alaska cruise. As others have said, HAL ships have ample outside viewing areas. At least on my cruise, had I booked a veranda, given the weather and temperatures experienced, the veranda would have gotten little use.

We had an OV on the 14 day itinerary (Amsterdam this year) and I agree that a balcony really isn't needed in Alaska. At the end of the cruise it occurred to me that I hadn't really spent any time on the open walk on Deck 3.

AK attracts a lot of families, and at "pushing 60" you could be above the average age.
I'm "pushing 60" and among the adults felt younger than average. There were kids I onboard but I didn't see them in the bars or the dining room.

I'm planning an Alaska cruise for summer 2018 and I am debating about taking the 14 day cruise on the Zaandam. I'm also thinking of the 7 day roundtrip out of Seattle. Iv'e been to Denali, Fairbanks and all points on the inside passage except Icy Straight Point, I like the 14 day it goes to Homer and Kodiak, which I have not been too. My question is it better to take a lesser cabin(inside) on the 14 day cruise or enjoy a balcony on the 7 day cruise, cost are similar when you take in the whole cost of the vacation. I'm a little hesitant about Holland America hearing it's mostly for older people (I know I'm pushing 60) but I will be with my special needs daughter who will be 17 (she does not do social stuff, wants to go to Alaska and see animals). Any suggestions?

We did the Amsterdam 14 this July 17th saiking,we did main deck inside and it was great. Plenty of room on the promenade for viewing. People we know who had a balconies said they felt that it wasn't worth it for Alaska . When you book, let them know if you aren't as you wish dining you need a two seater,if as you wish reserve ahead for time and 2 seater. Do the 14 day for sure. Enjoy

Augie's mom

We returned from a 14 night cruise and our cabin was aft on main deck. Very quiet. I never felt crowded outside and there was always somewhere on deck to watch the scenery go past. I also asked for tables of 2 and only once had to wait for a table for about five minutes. I loved the Amsterdam as there were no queues anywhere. I had sailed the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam before and wasn't quite sure how I would find the older ship, but the space I felt on the Amsterdam well made up for it needing the odd bit of paintwork here and there. Would love to do the 14 night cruise again one day, but unfortunately my daughter wants a beach holiday next year.

I just got off of the 14 day HA Alaska in July and I am ready to go again. I was concerned about 14 days being too long but now 7 days seems awfully short. I would certainly go for the 14 day. It is nicely spread out between port days and sea days. Instead of the inside cabin you might want to consider an aft obstructed view cabin on the lower promenade or Navigation deck (only 2 on this deck) and you will be steps away from a covered back public deck.

We're booked on the Zaandam for 14 days in May 2018. Never been to AK and figure more days means more tours to explore. We selected a verandah. It will get used. Cold isn't a big factor to us, just put on a jacket. Going out to the public decks instead of our own verandah is way more effort and time. Plus when those great picture shots come around we just walk out and take them. Don't have to crowd around others.

Once we started doing verandahs we couldn't go back.

Dan

Thank you, I just booked the cruise with an unobstructed window cabin on Main deck, looking forward to my next cruise.:hearteyes::):)

Congratulations! You will be very happy with your stateroom, and the money you saved can go toward shore excursions! I wish you and your daughter a wonderful cruise.:)

Karen

Just booked an oceanview cabin on Main deck category DA, Looking forward to my July sailing.

Congrats! That is a great cruise. Took it last year, had a fabulous time in an OV on Main Deck (Maasdam). I really can't imagine doing a 7 day cruise in Alaska after that (7 day cruises seem too short in general to me). I think you'll be fine without a balcony; so many places to view the sights from. Enjoy your cruise!