If I order speciality dining to our suite, who gets the pre-paid tip?

andnosyd

We have the dining package and thought that since we have 2 young kids, we may want to just eat in the room on one or 2 nights. If we order from a speciality dining venue to our room, who gets the tip? Does it go to the butler or does some server get it even though he/she didn't wait on us?

We have the dining package and thought that since we have 2 young kids, we may want to just eat in the room on one or 2 nights. If we order from a speciality dining venue to our room, who gets the tip? Does it go to the butler or does some server get it even though he/she didn't wait on us?

It likely is put into the tip pool for all serving staff. We still tipped the servers while in the restaurants, and we gave tips to our suite staff at the end of the cruise. What you do is up to you, but for us, when we received excellent service we tipped accordingly.

Prepaid gratuities are not given to any one specific crew member. They go into a pool which is divided among certain crew members. I do not believe that butlers are included in that group.

I'm wondering the same thing but outside the dining package perk. If we order speciality dinner to our room outside dining package perk do we pay for the dinner, plus the 18%? I guess in the line that asks for extra gratuity, on top of the 18% grat, I'd put zero - since he may not get any of that either. Then add say $5 more to the amount I'd tip him for butler services.

The 18 percent is pooled. Any additional would normally go to the server in question. The butler doesn't actually process the order, he or she calls it in to the restaurant and one of the servers preps it on a cart for the Butler to pick up. If you put anything extra on the slip, I would guess it would go to that server, but not the butler. Butler is cash in hand only.

I'm wondering the same thing but outside the dining package perk. If we order speciality dinner to our room outside dining package perk do we pay for the dinner, plus the 18%? I guess in the line that asks for extra gratuity, on top of the 18% grat, I'd put zero - since he may not get any of that either. Then add say $5 more to the amount I'd tip him for butler services.

Your thinking is correct.

If someone in a suite without the SDP (possible, now that it is optional) or with no remaining SDP credits orders from the specialty restaurant, the guest is charged the a la carte price plus 18%. No need to tip extra to the restaurant staff but something for the butler would be appropriate.

Your thinking is correct.

If someone in a suite without the SDP (possible, now that it is optional) or with no remaining SDP credits orders from the specialty restaurant, the guest is charged the a la carte price plus 18%. No need to tip extra to the restaurant staff but something for the butler would be appropriate.

Thanks. That makes sense.

One more question. We're on a longer upcoming sailing, pretty port intensive. Can we order something like moderno or tepenaki and just say give us a little of each thing or since they are a little different set up would we need to save them for going to the venue. Just wanted to know what options would be in case we are tired and don't feel like going out for dinner.

You can but it will be delivered as one order and still count as an SDP credit, and if you order from 2 in the same meal that's 2 credits.

One more question. We're on a longer upcoming sailing, pretty port intensive. Can we order something like moderno or tepenaki and just say give us a little of each thing or since they are a little different set up would we need to save them for going to the venue. Just wanted to know what options would be in case we are tired and don't feel like going out for dinner.

That may work fine with Teppanyaki. While you miss the show, we have a japenese steakhouse we go to at home and you can order the dinner and just have it brought to your table without the show. I personally wouldn't choose that route for Moderno. There are soooo many things there to try - salad bar, soups, sides, plus like 10 different meats. Have a sampler platter brought to your room wouldn't include anywhere near all of it. And part of the fun is trying a bite of many things and then being able to get more of what you like.